PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil and body odor

BFLMichelle
02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Would consistent use of fish oil caps change a person's body odor? I'm not talking about a sweaty smell or a poor hygiene smell. I'm talking about a persons normal unique smell.

Bought the FO and took them a few times...but I have pill issues. I find them hard to swallow and have a hard time with them especially something that big, so sadly I'm not taking them, but the boyfriend is.

I've noticed a change in his smell and it's not gross or offensive, but it's different. I don't like it.

I have an excellent sense of smell and this is beginning to be worrisome for me. I wonder why the change and could it mean something is wrong?

T.G.
02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
To add to your question...when I have taken them the give the nastiest burps for hours after taking them.

to the point it makes you nauseous when you burp that stuff.

Anyway around that as well?

BFLMichelle
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Getting the coated ones prevents or at least helps the burps, I've read here and I've also heard keeping them in the freezer helps as well. Not sure where I read the freezer thing or if it's true.

I really need to be taking them. Keep telling myself I will....

nvr2late
02-13-2010, 12:44 PM
you could try flaxseed meal as an alternative to fish oil, which easily mixes into protein drinks.

lylemcd
02-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Flax is NOT an alternative to fish oil since the conversion of LA to epa is tiny and to DHA is nil.

PerformanceAthlete
02-13-2010, 12:47 PM
you could try flaxseed meal as an alternative to fish oil, which easily mixes into protein drinks.
flax is NOT a direct substitue for fish oil as the conversion rates to epa/dha are too low to matter

damn, lyle got there first

i mean "darn"

DCrez
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Ever try the actual oil? Each teaspoon is 800/500mg EPA/DHA and can easily be added to a salad, protein drink, or what have you. I just take a teaspoon and drink some water, it tastes fine and no burps. So far my gf hasnt reported any change in smell either!

The employee at Vitamain Shoppe said the oil is superior to the pills, though I dont know if that's really case or not.

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/p-70-very-finest-fish-oil-lemon-flavor.aspx

lylemcd
02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Both will be equivalent but somehting like Carlson's oil may be a better choice for people who don't like pills for whatever reason.

None of which really answers teh OP's question and I've never heard anyone else reporting that.

dangerroadhumps
02-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I've also heard keeping them in the freezer helps as well. Not sure where I read the freezer thing or if it's true.

a little sidebar- i read that too and ended up with one exploding, and ruining the whole bottle because fish oil on the outside of the tabs makes them unbearable to swallow...i mean like aversion therapy unbearable

BFLMichelle
02-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Well, if you (Lyle) have never heard of it changing someone's smell, then the FO is probably not the cause.

Now I'm really baffled.

ETA - thanks for the tip on the oil. I can deal with that I'm sure.

Duck
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I've thought a few times that I have taken on a bit more of a fishy smell, but just kind of thought I was imaging things. No one has ever mentioned it to me. I still get plenty of gals saying I smell good, so it could have just been my imagination. Either that or they really like fish.

lylemcd
02-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok, I'm going to get very very very speculative here.

First off, a medline search on fish oil AND body odor turned up nothing of relevance.

But one thing comes to mind: it turns out that human attraction is related a lot to pheromones. Turns out that one part of attraction is smell and, effectively, people are using it to pick an immune system different than theirs. I believe women are more sensitive to this but don't swear me to that, but it explains all those odd "Wearing his clothes the day after" kinds of things that women do. But I"m getting off topic.

In any case, fish oil does modulate immune function. I found nothing on fish oil and pheromones however.

My speculative (read: pulling out of my rear end) idea: perhaps th fish oils are changing his immune system in some fashion and that's affecting what you're smelling. Or he just needs to shower more . :)

Nigeepoo
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Flax is NOT an alternative to fish oil since the conversion of LA to epa is tiny and to DHA is nil.I thought that young women had some DHA production, according to http://www.nutritionsociety.org.uk/bjn/088/bjn0880411.htm

BFLMichelle
02-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I've read all that stuff too and I believe it. He has always had a very nice smell to me. It's what I remembered most after the first night we met. His shower habits haven't changed in the 14 years we've been together.

This is almost like "old man smell", but not. I just don't get why the change, but the FO/immune system is a plausible reason I suppose.

lylemcd
02-13-2010, 01:56 PM
I thought that young women had some DHA production, according to http://www.nutritionsociety.org.uk/bjn/088/bjn0880411.htm

Yes, and some vegetarians show slightly higher conversion as well. Which is not relevant to the OP's question (about her boyfriend) or the general suggestion above to use flax rather than fish oil.

Nigeepoo
02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I was referring to the OP taking it, not her boyfriend.

Manveet
02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Maybe he has cancer.

I'm half joking and half serious.

Aren't dogs able to smell cancerous cells?

SlyBlackDragon
02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe he has cancer.

I'm half joking and half serious.

Aren't dogs able to smell cancerous cells?

Not really something to joke about, in poor taste.

SlyBlackDragon
02-13-2010, 10:11 PM
This is almost like "old man smell", but not.

Maybe he is just getting older?

banderbe
02-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I find them hard to swallow and have a hard time with them especially something that big

There's a joke somewhere here.. but honestly.. I would not worry about it.. might change up the odor of your farts but so what.. if you're in a serious relationship it won't matter. And what can you do about it anyway? Freeze them and see if that helps.

banderbe
02-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Not really something to joke about, in poor taste.

Don't be such a baby.

digink
02-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Don't be such a baby.

Seems like everyones down with Sensitive Susan these days.

lylemcd
02-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Let it go NOW children

BMWGuinness
03-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I've been researching the internet on this, and while I too have not found anything about BO and FO, I HAVE found testimonials all over the place about Ketosis related BO, and low carb related BO. (Google Ketosis Body Odor or Low Carb Body Odor)

I have noticed that my natural smell has been more "potent" since starting RFL.

While I don't know if this helps you, it has certainly helped me, so thank you Michelle :D

BFLMichelle
03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, glad I could help! :D

My BF is not doing low carb by any stretch of the imagination. So I know that's not it.

Oddly after I posted this, the new smell went away. It came back, but it's not as strong.

I still have no idea why the change. I'm sure there is a reason, I just can't figure it out.

Jean Paulo
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I doubt if it's from fish oil, I remember 2 yrs ago when I was chubby my wife is always telling me how good I smell and all that but ever since I changed my diet and started lifting weights, my wife now is telling me that I smell like pieces of metal now. It's not that I got lazy taking a shower, I think it's because of higher protein intake not because of fish oil.

Elf
03-12-2010, 01:44 PM
If his diet changed significantly around the same time he started taking the pills it could simply be the diet affecting his smell. It affects "other" stuff aswell.

I eat alot of spices and people tell me I smell like really strange. It's also the reason that foreign people think Dutch people smell gross, we eat way too much cheese.

You can tell alot about a person's diet just by their smell. I recognize people that go to McDonalds or Burger King often, just by the smell. It's very unique, and strong.