PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Jason Ferruggia's book

Untarai
02-24-2010, 01:44 AM
I was given a copy of Ferruggia's "Muscle Gaining" book an have been looking it over. Went to the guy's website to see what else he's written. What do you think about the recomendations? Or has anyone else here read the book?

simon341
02-24-2010, 08:33 AM
I like the plan, its basically no nonsense heavy lifting tension progression. Hes not big on supplements, and isn't carbophobic. Could get injured though, I know I would.

lylemcd
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Which book, I appear to have two different ones aimed at muscle building on my HD

banderbe
02-24-2010, 08:44 AM
He is or was experimenting with vegetarian body building.. and has some pretty silly ideas about required protein intake..

lylemcd
02-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Oh yeah, that was idiotic. I'll see if I can get my friend Shaf in here to comment, he has some strongly held opinions about jason. I can't keep folks straight anymore.

simon341
02-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah hes actually a vegan. And only .6 g/lb protein required for bulking.

lylemcd
02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Marking him as clueless.

Shaf
02-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't think his "Muscle Gaining Secrets" book is bad. It's basic stuff, and delivers a reasonable training program.

I'm looking at that book now for the first time in well over a year. Terrible graphics in the first edition. Just plain crappy pics.

He has a few goofy recommendations, but overall it's workable.

The issues I have with Ferruggia:

-His MMA training book, which isn't very useable, called "Fit to Fight". A few years before he published the pen and paper "Fit to Fight" he put out a MMA training ebook called "Tap Out". "Fit to Fight" is pretty much lifted from "Tap Out" almost word for word in some cases, but with new pictures. The information is nothing you can't find online, and if you are interested in MMA, I would imagine that actually training someone who fights MMA or trains MMA fighters would give you a lot better advice. This book seemed to be aimed at a dumb, MMA wanna-be.

-His apparent instability. He's known for being mercurial, to put in nicely. He's presented at a few seminars and underwhelmed people who paid good money to see him. "It was like he just didn't care." was what was said. His tranformation to veganism seemed more to do with the fact his girlfriend was a vegan rather than any closely held beliefs. He got massively tattooed at a relatively old age, in an attempt to "reinvent" himself. This stuff, and some stuff said privately to me offline by folks who know him well paint a picture of a dysfunctional and unhappy guy. He's sold his studio at least once, and apparently lived off money he earned while training one of the American Idol stars for a while. He would say he still owned his studio when in fact he didn't. His latest gym is new.

-Goofy propositions for articles. He wrote a mildly controversial article for Tmag called "The Death of the Conjugate Method" or something that really demonstrated that he wasn't quite sure that what the Louie from WSB had called his program "conjugate" instead of "concurrent" because of some of the Charniga translations, rather than Louie getting the term wrong.

-Marketing. He's apparently one of Ballentyne's marketing clients. As such, he's got his blog, now his pay site, and the products he sells for affiliate money. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, at least he does it massively more competently than Jimmy Smith did, whose dropped the ball on more than one occasion. Also, in an article for EFS, he lifted, almost word for word, the introduction that Mark Twight wrote for his website "Gym Jones". This was lazy, stupid, and ill advised.

More recently, say this last year, I've noticed that I've started to agree with more of what he writes on his blog. This is, I feel, more of a function of him not seeking to create controversy to drive sales, but him writing more in line about honest topics.

Bottom line: Mediocre products. Kind of unstable in a bad way.

Untarai
02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
The book is called "Muscle Gaining Secrets". Yeap, he is a vegan. From what I see so far, it's a progressive program built slowly through several phases. Nothing fancy or too gimmicky...yet

hockeylifter7
02-24-2010, 03:36 PM
I bought his Muscle Gaining Secrets about a year and a half ago. It has been the best decision I have ever made regarding training. I completed his workouts and now I create my own based off of his ideas regarding sets, reps, workout split, 2 months hard training-1 week off and so on. Before this I trained high volume and got nowhere. After doing his low volume higher frequency or whatever you want to call it, I will never go back to what I was doing before. Some stuff I do differently from his book is that the lowest I go for protein is 1g per lb instead of the .8 he recommends on lifting days. Also instead of changing exercises every 2 months I keep the exercise until I stop getting stronger on it. He has people change often to avoid boredom but I dont get bored getting stronger on my favorite compound lifts month after month.