BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   General diet questions (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Men's Bodyfat Percentages (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=28978)

lylemcd 07-11-2014 11:35 AM

Men's Bodyfat Percentages

A Visual Guide

alcahuetej 07-11-2014 11:46 AM

As a hint for how my scan turned out, my DEXA today and my pictures in the bodyfat estimation forum do not line up with those photos. Of course, there's a fair amount of error with even DEXA. As you always say, track caliper measurements over time.

And of course, this is n = 1.

lylemcd 07-11-2014 11:53 AM

For some reasons I am not clear on DEXA seems to return higher values than caliper methods when you're looking at these types of pictures. It's something inherent to the method.

davidjr74 07-11-2014 07:57 PM

I cannot wait till my calipers come in; first time I'll be using those...I have been doing the visual guessing method for years now...In any case looks like I'm somewhere between 15-20%.

Thanks for the sticky this can help confirm some things for me.

Rohze 07-15-2014 06:16 PM

Low amounts of muscle mass can be deceiving as well. Skinny guy at 10% vs guy with 30lbs more muscle @ 10% will look way leaner.

GoldenDilemma 07-15-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohze (Post 264353)
Low amounts of muscle mass can be deceiving as well. Skinny guy at 10% vs guy with 30lbs more muscle @ 10% will look way leaner.

+1

NOAMattD 07-16-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohze (Post 264353)

Well duh, 10% of a guy who weighs 200lbs is 6lbs more than a guy who weighs 170lbs.

I've seen that graphic before and there really doesn't seem to be a huge difference between 25% and 20%, and especially between 20% and 15%. But eh it's good enough. Now that I got a set of the good calipers I don't worry about it as much anymore either, like everyone keeps saying once you get down low enough there's not enough of a difference between LBM and total weight that it matters as much when setting calories, protein etc.

Brofessorphd 07-16-2014 03:01 PM

I wish there was a better visual for 12-20%...it seems most guys tend to be in this area and strive to get down to 10 and below..well..guys like me atleast.

Bobbyguns18 07-16-2014 03:53 PM

I wouldn't mind looking somewhat close to the 6-7% guy. The 3-4 % guy is peeled! Either way, they're both in contest shape, and not many of us here are going to "need" to get that lean. I think 7-9% in "real life" is ridiculously impressive, especially with a decent amount of LBM. Just my humble opinion though.

alcahuetej 07-16-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brofessorphd (Post 264400)
I wish there was a better visual for 12-20%...it seems most guys tend to be in this area and strive to get down to 10 and below..well..guys like me atleast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbyguns18 (Post 264406)
I wouldn't mind looking somewhat close to the 6-7% guy. The 3-4 % guy is peeled! Either way, they're both in contest shape, and not many of us here are going to "need" to get that lean. I think 7-9% in "real life" is ridiculously impressive, especially with a decent amount of LBM. Just my humble opinion though.

The thing is, there is no true "gold standard" if you read through all of the research, short of dissecting a cadaver of course. DEXA has a fairly huge error from individual to individual, particularly in lean men. Even the 4-compartment model has a certain degree of error, not that most have access to these. These estimates, like the picture in the OP, are simply based off of what individuals on the internet perceive as 5%, 7%, 10%...etc.

I think we can all agree stage ready bodybuilders are in the 4 - 6% range. Beyond that...it's just random numbers. It would be nice to have someone take a large population of leaner individuals and compare their pictures with the sum of multiple site caliper readings.

I say "leaner" because anyone above 15%ish is simply going to be perceived as out of shape, and beyond that, overweight.