BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   General diet questions (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do sugar alchols count (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=5)

lylemcd 02-09-2008 05:03 PM

Do sugar alchols count

Article by Rick Mendosa bout how sugar alchols can in fact affect blood glucose levels

quickone 05-27-2009 11:06 PM

Even the smallest amount of sugar alcohols upset my stomach like CRAZY. Just one piece of sugar free gum can really mess me up. I noticed that if I chew a piece for about 8-10 minutes I am OK. An longer and it is no fun. I avoid sugar alcohol in food altogether.

lylemcd 05-28-2009 11:13 AM

There seems to be huge variability in this (which the studies have also noted). I can tolerate small amounts but if I make a mistake and buy a high sugar alcohol protein bar, it's bad news. Others can handle more without issue.

CarrieLee7 06-01-2009 01:46 AM

I think most products containing sugar alcohols have the warning, "May produce laxative effect".
I ate a bunch of sugar free jelly beans one time and regretted it. I had to drink a bunch of Pepto Bismol afterward.

I think Maltitol is the worst.
Erythritol is easier on the stomach.

Toni 06-07-2009 02:47 PM

protein powder

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 8)
Article by Rick Mendosa bout how sugar alchols can in fact affect blood glucose levels

hey lyle, I'm taking curently the optimum whey protein, it's whey isolat and concentrate, is this a good one to go with or should I byu the scivation, it's whey concentrate? and can I take it like 4 times aday, and should I add some fats like peanut butter to it so I can slow it down or it doesn'y matter?

Fried Bacon 06-07-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieLee7 (Post 37729)
I think most products containing sugar alcohols have the warning, "May produce laxative effect".
I ate a bunch of sugar free jelly beans one time and regretted it. I had to drink a bunch of Pepto Bismol afterward.

I think Maltitol is the worst.
Erythritol is easier on the stomach.

never makes me poop but I can literally fart out 20 balloons after consuming sugar free coffee candy

EuroAmerican1970 06-29-2009 06:35 AM

Back about 5 years ago when I first started losing weight, I was doing a strict Atkins diet. I spent the first 6 months staying under 40g of carbs per day and becoming very bored with my food - when I finally stumbled upon a store that sold all sorts of neat low carb sweet foods!!

That weekend I sat in front of the TV, very excited to eat my bag of sugar-free jelly beans.

Perhaps I should have only eaten a handfull and not the entire bag... but all I know is that I was up all night, screaming in agony as I ran to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I'm surprised that half of my organs didn't leak out into the toilet in the process.

That was the first and last time I have ever eaten low-carb jellybeans. :-)

Incindium 06-29-2009 10:34 AM

Xylitol seems to be the best of the sugar alcohols in my experience. Its the stuff used in a lot of chewing gum and in sugar free jello pudding. I don't get some of the nasty side affects that other sugar alcohols with it. Although on the negative side I just read that its poisonous for dogs to ingest it so don't let your dogs have any of that sugar free pudding.

waltmiller 08-04-2009 07:24 AM

I've recently started cooking with erytritol, using it in low carb baking. Seems to have no effect on my GI system.

Maltitol was the worst - I was up all night with explosive diarrhea after a candy feast.

bella64 08-04-2009 02:50 PM

Oh, sugar alcohols are so evil to me. Shudder.