BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   The Ketogenic Diet (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question about fats (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=29268)

Pr1c3rA 08-21-2014 03:35 PM

Question about fats

Besides the information in the book, in regards to the necessity of EFAs and Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, is there an ideal ratio or guideline to consumption of Saturated to Monounsaturated to Polyunsaturated fats?

BigPecsPeter 08-21-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr1c3rA (Post 266895)
Besides the information in the book, in regards to the necessity of EFAs and Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, is there an ideal ratio or guideline to consumption of Saturated to Monounsaturated to Polyunsaturated fats?

This has NOTHING to do with ketogenic dieting.

Pr1c3rA 08-21-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter (Post 266897)
This has NOTHING to do with ketogenic dieting.

Actually, this is a forum thread with a question about Lyle's product "The Ketogenic Diet..." (Notice the forum string BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet > Question about fats). To take it a step further... Absolutely! I have no problem spelling it out for you so you don't fail to read between the lines again:

In regards for Ketogenic dieting, as outlined in Lyle's book, 'The Ketogenic Diet...', when one is selecting the approximately 65% of the calories they will consume in the form of dietary fat, are there any concrete suggestions for how much of each of those three types of fats one should be consuming?

Better?

69 Stacks 08-26-2014 01:42 AM

I can't remember specific ratios off the top of my head, but avoid anything with the word "hydrogenated" like the plague. Search online for oils known to cause inflammation. Supplement with omega 3's, eat avocados and nuts on occasion (watch the omega 3 and omega 6 ratio of nuts, though; you can find comparison charts online). Macadamias are the best. Also check out avocado oil for cooking. It has a high smoke point and the taste is divine (oils with lower smoke points tend to oxidize and cause free radical damage).

lylemcd 08-26-2014 08:52 AM

Last time I looked into this is was about 1/3rd each of total fats but that interacts with total fat intake. You can consume excess polyunsaturates, excessive saturates can be a problem and if you're bumping up fat intake, use monounsatuarates.

grndzro 08-26-2014 07:10 PM

Saturated=Monounsaturated>Polyunsaturated
You need some PUFA but try to keep it to a minimum.
With Keto and high fat it is easy to get too much PUFA and mess up your cellular composition.

69 Stacks 08-27-2014 01:02 AM

Hi Lyle. :)

elpaisita 08-27-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr1c3rA (Post 266898)
Actually, this is a forum thread with a question about Lyle's product "The Ketogenic Diet..." (Notice the forum string BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > The Ketogenic Diet > Question about fats). To take it a step further... Absolutely! I have no problem spelling it out for you so you don't fail to read between the lines again:

In regards for Ketogenic dieting, as outlined in Lyle's book, 'The Ketogenic Diet...', when one is selecting the approximately 65% of the calories they will consume in the form of dietary fat, are there any concrete suggestions for how much of each of those three types of fats one should be consuming?

Better?

I'm a fan of the "throw stuff at the wall, and see what sticks" approach.

I.e.,
Make up a combination of fats at random. Ideally, stuff you like to eat.
Eat it for a while.
Go have lab tests, including a lipid panel, done.
If your lipid panel sucks, change stuff and repeat.

If you're the cautious type, go get a lipid panel, and get your T levels checked, first.
If you have low LDL cholesterol and low(-ish) T levels, bump up the saturated fat. (Cholesterol is the raw material from which testosterone is made.)

Most importantly, choose a combination that you can actually stand to eat. Keto diets get monotonous pretty quickly; compliance is generally a much bigger issue than any of the actual physiological stuff.

lylemcd 08-27-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grndzro (Post 267187)
Saturated=Monounsaturated>Polyunsaturated
You need some PUFA but try to keep it to a minimum.
With Keto and high fat it is easy to get too much PUFA and mess up your cellular composition.

No. Just no. Saturated are not equal to monounsaturated and no matter how much the paleo dudes say it, it still won't be true.

lylemcd 08-27-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elpaisita (Post 267203)
I'm a fan of the "throw stuff at the wall, and see what sticks" approach.

I.e.,
Make up a combination of fats at random. Ideally, stuff you like to eat.
Eat it for a while.
Go have lab tests, including a lipid panel, done.
If your lipid panel sucks, change stuff and repeat.

If you're the cautious type, go get a lipid panel, and get your T levels checked, first.
If you have low LDL cholesterol and low(-ish) T levels, bump up the saturated fat. (Cholesterol is the raw material from which testosterone is made.)

Most importantly, choose a combination that you can actually stand to eat. Keto diets get monotonous pretty quickly; compliance is generally a much bigger issue than any of the actual physiological stuff.

The problem is that the weight loss that occurs on the diet overwhelms ANY impact of dietary fat composition.

lylemcd 08-27-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr1c3rA (Post 266898)

No. There are no concrete recommendations.

grndzro 08-27-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 267212)
No. Just no. Saturated are not equal to monounsaturated and no matter how much the paleo dudes say it, it still won't be true.

I agree with you as far as a carb based diet goes. Saturated fat with carbs leads to prolonged elevated poly/mufa levels that result in degradation of lipids and arterial plaque. In the absence of adequate fat utilization VLDL rises.

Even as far back as 1983 a breakdown of plaque shows that a high majority of faty acid deposits are PUFA/MUFA.
http://www.jlr.org/content/24/10/1329.full.pdf

Considering saturated fat intake doubles polyunsaturated intake the fact that lipid deposits of both MUFA/PUFA combined in plaque are 8 times as abundant should raise some eyebrows.
http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2272

Fats in the order of stability are Saturated>Monounsaturated>Polyunsaturated
The heart prefers saturated fat above the rest.

Bottom line is Saturated fats are not the monkey in the closet.
The real monkey is degradation of PUFA/MUFA, and excess carbohydrate consumption.

lylemcd 08-28-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grndzro (Post 267275)
I agree with you as far as a carb based diet goes. Saturated fat with carbs leads to prolonged elevated poly/mufa levels that result in degradation of lipids and arterial plaque. In the absence of adequate fat utilization VLDL rises.

Even as far back as 1983 a breakdown of plaque shows that a high majority of faty acid deposits are PUFA/MUFA.
http://www.jlr.org/content/24/10/1329.full.pdf

Considering saturated fat intake doubles polyunsaturated intake the fact that lipid deposits of both MUFA/PUFA combined in plaque are 8 times as abundant should raise some eyebrows.
http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2272

Fats in the order of stability are Saturated>Monounsaturated>Polyunsaturated
The heart prefers saturated fat above the rest.

Bottom line is Saturated fats are not the monkey in the closet.
The real monkey is degradation of PUFA/MUFA, and excess carbohydrate consumption.

You're wrong and an idiot. Go away please. Polys are only an issue at excessive intakes and there's plenty of data showing sat fat is inflammatory and it's not just on a base of carbs.

And just looking at stability is missing most of the picture.

grndzro 08-28-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 267292)
You're wrong and an idiot. Go away please. Polys are only an issue at excessive intakes and there's plenty of data showing sat fat is inflammatory and it's not just on a base of carbs.

And just looking at stability is missing most of the picture.

No problem have fun with your forum.

daavisonfire 02-14-2016 08:41 PM

It's actually mentioned a few times in the book

KrCouchPotato 02-06-2017 09:30 AM

Question about fats

My doctor put me on Levathyroxine right after surgery but I keep hearing about Armour. Is there a difference in the effectiveness?