BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   Articles on the Main Site (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Training the Calves (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=4104)

lylemcd 07-28-2009 09:54 AM

Training the Calves

Article on the Main Site

monkeyarms 07-28-2009 10:41 AM

Good article. I've always had puny calves, and found some advice you posted awhile back about pausing at the top and bottom. I started trying that - I had to halve the weight and it burrrnnnnsss.......The scheme you outlined here is slightly different and I'll give it a go.

Question - I'm always trying to combine exercises and use compounds - I've been doing seated calve raises and heavy power shrugs (slightly crouched, explode up onto the tip toes and shrug, hold for a couple seconds, then back down and pause for a couple more seconds.) My idea was that this would take the place of standing calf raises while hitting some other muscles. Do you think this is effective, or a poor substitution for standing calve raises?

PS: Small correction note - forgot the ? at the end of the line "Do you see where I’m going with this yet."

lylemcd 07-28-2009 11:05 AM

You are only getting limited range of motion with a power shrug from neutral to plantarflexion. That said, OL'ers often ahve good calves and they do explsovie calf work (effectively) from a dead stopped, half range position

thanks for the typo catch

hexx 07-28-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 48081)

When I read today's article was on calf growth I died a little inside. I can't stand training them as it bores the I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. out of me. This article was fantastic though for once again boiling biochem and physiology to the masses. Androgen receptor stuff was great. One of the many reasons why I love this site.

lylemcd 07-28-2009 11:11 AM

Who cares about that, what other internet guy talks about kangaroos?

hexx 07-28-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 48109)
Who cares about that, what other internet guy talks about kangaroos?

This is true. Next article can be about why the lever arm of gorillas is set up to make them so damn strong (a question from one of my physics exams frosh year). :D

monkeyarms 07-28-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 48107)
...That said, OL'ers often ahve good calves and they do explsovie calf work (effectively) from a dead stopped, half range position

Maybe I'll just get fat again. You know, for the killer calves.

chevyex 07-28-2009 05:35 PM

Lyle,
I was under the impression the reason for the calves for being so 'strong' is because they function as a 2nd class lever.

On another note, Arthur Jones was known to use animals alot in the talks he gave. I'd be concerned if you start carrying around a gun, and begin chainsmoking. And start marrying teenage girls.

lylemcd 07-28-2009 05:38 PM

You mean the paragraph about the short lever arm?

waltmiller 07-28-2009 07:29 PM

A little off topic, but I wonder when calves are ever limiting in sports such that they require separate strength training...?