BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   General training questions (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Does this upper body workout look okay? (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=34567)

Taytay100 01-31-2018 05:32 AM

Does this upper body workout look okay?

Just finished an RFL stint and I知 about to transition into a lean mass phase. Here痴 a rough look at my exercise choices for upper body Sets reps etc.

Incline hammer bench / 3 x 6-8
Lat pull down (hammer strength) / 3 x 8-12
Seated overhead press / 2 x 8-10
Pec dec chest fly / 1 x 10-15 (dropset)
Unilateral row / 1 x 10-15
Dumbell lateral raise / 2 x 10-15
Face pull / 1 x 10-15
Bicep curl / 1 x 6-8
Triceps push down / 1 x 6-8

Goal here is pretty much pure hypertropy. Lower body I値l be doing once a week as I知 relatively happy with my progress down there. In terms of frequency I知 aiming to do this twice a week but I have a feeling I could squeeze maybe 3 of these in a week to get in the volume. Would you guys agree? Also, a bit confused what to do on the lateral raise front. I get such a pump doing light weight for reps (20-30). However, I have the strength to do laterals with decent form at a heavier weight so I知 stuck at a bit of crossroad between high reps and low reps. Please feel free to critique and suggest what I could do to adjust/improve the workout. If it looks fine as it is then even better!

w1cked 01-31-2018 06:16 AM

Pretty decent. Would drop ohp in favor of 2nd chest press (hammer wide or flat maybe, or smith/barbell shallow incline) and add couple more sets back in another plane (seated cable, hammer low, hammer iso, dy...). Also would do at least 2 sets each bi tri but higher reps than 6 to 8. Laterals are great for drop sets too btw

AlphaBettor 01-31-2018 06:23 AM

Agreed about doing a little more back work.

It's possible to do 3 upper body days but they don't necessarily have to be the same. For example you could base one off bench/row, the second off overhead press/rear delts, the third off incline/pulldown, that kind of thing.

Another thing you can do in your situation (happy with legs, want a little extra upper body emphasis) is one setup that comes up here from time to time: chest+back+delts/legs+arms/chest+back+delts. It works well for its purpose, and nice to wrap things up in 3 days for that matter.

zLeeKo 01-31-2018 06:56 AM

What guys above said.

If you want to do 3 days with upper body focus, here's possible schedules:

upper/lower/upper

chest+delts+triceps+back/biceps+forearms+calves+hamstrings+quads/chest+delts+triceps+back (doggcrapp base routine)

chest+back+delts/legs+arms/chest+back+delts (what AlphaBettor said)

chest+delts+triceps/legs+back+biceps/chest+delts+triceps (push/pull, ABA)

full body/full body/upper body (upper body focus)

full body/full body/X (X= body part that you wanna focus on)

chest+back/delts+arms/chest+back (bro routine, no leg training)

chest+arms/legs/back+delts

chest+delts+triceps/legs/back+biceps

and so on and so on..

Taytay100 02-04-2018 07:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thinking of replacing the overhead press with x2 sets of weighted dips. Might take a while to build up the weight so might start off with tonnes of reps body weight.

GMichelIV 03-08-2018 06:44 PM

I'm in a similar situation, trying to maintain lower body and focus mostly on upper, could any of you guys give an example of a good routine based off what AlphaBettor and zLeeKo said:

chest+back+delts/legs+arms/chest+back+delts?

I thought of simply using the GBR but always hitting Upper twice and lower once on a 3 day cycle (Upper/Lower/Upper)

Thanks

zLeeKo 03-09-2018 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichelIV (Post 310058)

I thought of simply using the GBR but always hitting Upper twice and lower once on a 3 day cycle (Upper/Lower/Upper)

Thanks

Sure. Hitting legs 1x week is enough for maintenance.

That's what I meant by this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zLeeKo (Post 309341)

If you want to do 3 days with upper body focus, here's possible schedules:

upper/lower/upper