BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Discussion (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Topics where people think they're smarter than you (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=29396)

InsertCleverNameHere 09-12-2014 08:40 AM

Topics where people think they're smarter than you

One thing I've noticed is that people often think they're smarter than I am about something even though they aren't. Lots of people are smarter than I am about lots of things, don't get me wrong. But I think it's funny when people with hardly any knowledge or experience about something act like know-it-alls. I'm sure we all tend to do this sometimes, so I was just wondering what topics this is most likely to happen with. Here are my picks:

Medicine
Diet
Exercise
Morality
Psychology
Relationships
the opposite sex
Religion

That's a very incomplete list. Someone feel free to add to it. My main point is that people seem to be know-it-alls when it comes to these things and think that their view is so superior to everybody else's. (I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this sometimes; I probably am).

troypulk 09-12-2014 10:21 AM

About life,

My 18 year old daughter thinks she knows everything because she has google and us old fogies don't know anything.

I hope she is like her 25 year old brother and apologizes when she pulls her head out of her butt.

eattoshred 09-12-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troypulk (Post 268101)
I hope she is like her 25 year old brother and apologizes when she pulls her head out of her butt.

Don't give up hope......Some of us can even take longer than 25 (like ME!!!!) :p

thombrogan 09-12-2014 11:07 AM

If you know you know more, why are you engaging them on such subjects and getting upset with the results? Shouldn't you know better than that?

InsertCleverNameHere 09-12-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thombrogan (Post 268106)
If you know you know more, why are you engaging them on such subjects and getting upset with the results? Shouldn't you know better than that?

Wut? Who said I was getting upset or that I seek to engage these people? It's just something I noticed :o.

The only time that I do continue the conversation is when it's a part of my job.

Myles.Buckley 09-12-2014 11:50 AM

a short excerpt from wiki's article on the Dunning-Kruger_effect

Quote:

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias manifesting in unskilled individuals suffering from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude.

David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others".

InsertCleverNameHere 09-12-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles.Buckley (Post 268109)

Very cool. I'll have to look into this some more. The article seems to use the words 'skills' and 'abilities,' but I'm not sure that's going to be applicable to all these cases (e.g. giving dieting advice). Maybe the researchers meant the term very broadly. I also wonder if this is what's going on in the teenager case troypulk mentions or if that's something different.

*Disclaimer: All of the above is just me wondering out loud. Please don'g take me to have been asserting anything. Note the uses of 'seems,' 'maybe,' and 'wonder.'

thombrogan 09-12-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere (Post 268108)
Wut? Who said I was getting upset or that I seek to engage these people?

No one said it. Thought I'd risk humiliation and read too much into what you wrote.

jimjack 09-12-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles.Buckley (Post 268109)

I guess at some point you are so stupid you believe you are smart.

eattoshred 09-12-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimjack (Post 268119)
I guess at some point you are so stupid you believe you are smart.

HaHa!
I got dibs on using that in my signature.