BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   The Ketogenic Diet (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What is the Ketogenic Diet (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=12)

lylemcd 02-09-2008 05:12 PM

What is the Ketogenic Diet

The Ketogenic Diet: A Complete Guide for the Dieter and Practitioner takes an in-depth look at the topic of low-carbohydrate/ketogenic diets.

This book serves as a reference for the dieter who has questions regarding the physiology, adaptations, and effects of a ketogenic diet. The contents are fully referenced for health professionals such as dietitians, physicians, personal trainers and nutritionists. Anyone interested in the ketogenic diet will find this book a valuable resource.

Note: This book does not cover the ketogenic diet for pediatric epilepsy. I highly suggest The Ketogenic Diet: A Treatment for Epilepsy, 3rd Edition (Paperback) by Freeman, Freeman and Kelly.

To read more about the book, click here.

JimH 02-14-2008 09:24 PM

Anything in there about low carbs and depression? I've had to cut PSMF short whenever I've tried it because I start getting cranky, which is a warning sign, but I figure that's as likely to be from the ultra-low calories as from brain effects. I love it the first three days or so.

I'm wondering if getting some fat calories would help or if I should really just keep getting at least 100 grams of carbs.

lylemcd 02-14-2008 09:33 PM

low carb diets tend to reduce serotonin and folks who are prone to depression can often have problems b/c of it; same reason some folks have sleep issues (see the sleep thread here)

keeping carbs higher is one solution

l-tryptophan, 5-htp or one of those types of compounds would be another option as per that thread

JimH 02-14-2008 10:29 PM

I start to have trouble sleeping about the same time, so I think I'll just keep some carbs in. Thanks.

skwpt 02-15-2008 06:21 AM

That's interesting. I am prone to depression (especially SAD), but when I restrict carbs to ketogenic levels, I feel euphoric. Better hormone regulation, I suppose.

Nigeepoo 02-15-2008 09:18 AM

Everytime I see the acronym SAD, I want to shout from the roof-tops "Take 5,000iu/day of Vitamin D3, damnit!".

I've been on the stuff for just over 6 weeks now and I feel like nothing is impossible. No matter how late I go to bed, I wake up early in the morning, raring to go. It's like switching to rocket fuel after years of running on unleaded. Cheers, Nige.

skwpt 02-15-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigeepoo (Post 301)
Everytime I see the acronym SAD, I want to shout from the roof-tops "Take 5,000iu/day of Vitamin D3, damnit!".

I'm not on quite that much. Doc has me on 2000 IU and then we'll retest.

Nigeepoo is the D3 evangelist. :D

Quote:

I've been on the stuff for just over 6 weeks now and I feel like nothing is impossible. No matter how late I go to bed, I wake up early in the morning, raring to go. It's like switching to rocket fuel after years of running on unleaded. Cheers, Nige.
That's great! I mostly feel the same way. I just get pissy when it rains and snows all the time and floods my basement. And I want to see the sun, dammit!

Nigeepoo 02-15-2008 01:39 PM

I was on 2,000iu/day last year. When I also used a UVB+IR lamp, my serum 25(OH)D rose from 73nmol/L to 115nmol/L and I felt great.

When I took 2,000iu/day and stopped using the UVB+IR lamp, my serum 25(OH)D fell to 70nmol/L and I felt like crap.

2,000iu/day (10 x RDA) on its own just ain't enough (for me, anyway). Cheers, Nige.

skwpt 02-15-2008 01:58 PM

I'm not sure it's enough for me, either, but I'll be retested at the end of this month.

Thank god D3 is cheap.

lylemcd 02-15-2008 07:48 PM

just fyi, I meant to lock allof these little escription threads. if you want to start subtopics, please start them within the appropraite forums

thanks