BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   General diet questions (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fiber and nutrient absorption (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=97)

lylemcd 03-11-2008 09:41 AM

Fiber and nutrient absorption
 
Ok, so this came up last week sometime and I knew I had numbers for it and I came across this in the folder of the never to be finished mondo opus book. I'm going to assume that I had some decent source (probably the Stipanuk book) for the numbers. Anyhow, there you go. Ultimately, it's a fairly small effect.

***
I should mention that very high fiber intakes can increase the amount of nutrients being lost to excretion. For example, higher fiber intakes may reduce fat absorption by about 3 percent, protein by maybe 5%. Itís been estimated that increasing fiber intake from 18 to 36 g/day would increase caloric losses by about 100 cal/day or so. Essentially, the fiber prevents the enzymes from being able to reach the nutrients, and they simply pass through unabsorbed. This is another reason that high-fiber intakes can be useful while dieting: decreased caloric absorption. Of course, no athlete or bodybuilder wants decreased protein absorption so its sort of a mixed blessing.

Mike 03-25-2008 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 972)
I should mention that very high fiber intakes can increase the amount of nutrients being lost to excretion. For example, higher fiber intakes may reduce fat absorption by about 3 percent, protein by maybe 5%. It’s been estimated that increasing fiber intake from 18 to 36 g/day would increase caloric losses by about 100 cal/day or so. Essentially, the fiber prevents the enzymes from being able to reach the nutrients, and they simply pass through unabsorbed. This is another reason that high-fiber intakes can be useful while dieting: decreased caloric absorption. Of course, no athlete or bodybuilder wants decreased protein absorption so its sort of a mixed blessing.

There are 2 types of fiber with drastically different effects in the intestines. One accelerates (diarrhea?) residence time and the other type slows it down. Please specify which type this refers to.


Thanks;
Mike

lylemcd 03-25-2008 02:09 PM

I'll check to be 100% sure but soluble fiber, by gelling around the nutrients and preventing access to them by enzymes is going to be the most likely one to cause this effect

lylemcd 03-25-2008 05:13 PM

yeah, that's where this soundbite came from, I just can't be bothered to go open my copy and find it

lylemcd 03-25-2008 10:26 PM

please stop posting drunk, what melatonin has to do with this sticked thread I have no idea but it's irrelevant

Mike 03-26-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylemcd (Post 1393)
I'll check to be 100% sure but soluble fiber, by gelling around the nutrients and preventing access to them by enzymes is going to be the most likely one to cause this effect

I would think so too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_fiber


Goodbye;
Mike

Mike 10-03-2009 09:06 AM

Fiber
 
My experience has been constipation from high fiber content.
I suspect the fiber powders sold over the counter to be mostly sugars and feel that a piece of whole wheat bread is healthier. If it was good enough for Julius Ceasar's legions then it is good enough for me.

Supposedly his best legion threatened to mutiny over being fed meat. They were Spaniards who averaged only about 5' 5", but were invincible. To get a feeling for what this legion was capable of you have to visit Masada.

lylemcd 10-03-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 60412)
My experience has been constipation from high fiber content.
I suspect the fiber powders sold over the counter to be mostly sugars and feel that a piece of whole wheat bread is healthier. If it was good enough for Julius Ceasar's legions then it is good enough for me.

Supposedly his best legion threatened to mutiny over being fed meat. They were Spaniards who averaged only about 5' 5", but were invincible. To get a feeling for what this legion was capable of you have to visit Masada.

Uhhh....ok.

monkeyarms 10-03-2009 06:31 PM

Who knew all our fiber answers lied in Masada?

SturmBG 10-04-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike (Post 60412)
If it was good enough for Julius Ceasar's legions then it is good enough for me.

Do you share their lifestyle? :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.