BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   Articles on the Main Site (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fiber - It's Natures Broom (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=4749)

lylemcd 09-22-2009 11:49 AM

Fiber - It's Natures Broom

Article on the main site

SuperBig 09-22-2009 12:17 PM

Following along with the whole yin/yang of fiber, the reduction of cholesterol can also lead to a reduction in androgen production as well, correct? Life is just so many checks and balances...

lylemcd 09-22-2009 12:28 PM

Blood cholesterol is not the rate limiting step for testosterone production, maybe if levels got stupid low.

SturmBG 09-22-2009 02:49 PM

Another great article!

JMo87 09-29-2009 04:07 PM

lyle, i understand that fiber mixes with the chyme and binds to some of the fat in the large intestine, causing some calories to be excreted.

my question is: would the effect be greatest when co-ingesting a high-fiber and a high-fat food, or would there be no added benefit?

for example, say someone eats the majority of their daily fat intake for breakfast around 7:AM (eggs and bacon, for example), then 12 hours later, eats a high-fiber/low fat dinner (e.g. chicken breast, black beans and broccoli).

would the long interval between the high-fat meal and the high-fiber meal negate any of the "calorie wasting" properties, or does one see the same benefits no matter the timing?

i realize i'm splitting hairs somewhat, but i'm genuinely curious.

thanks

lylemcd 09-29-2009 04:45 PM

I want you to really think about that one for a few minutes and see what you come up with. Focus on how long you think dietary fat stays in the gut.

JMo87 09-29-2009 06:11 PM

ok, after a quick google search and flipping through my nutrition textbook, i have yet to find how long fat stays in the gut...but i'm going to guess that it won't make a big difference when the two are ingested (within reason).

if i'm wrong in this assumption, please feel free to correct me.

clicker666 11-17-2009 05:50 AM

A quick question re: fiber counting. In the article you suggest that ingesting fiber helps to reduce the intake of other nutrients. i.e. Some proteins, fats tag along for the ride and don't get absorbed, to the tune of possibly 100 cals/day on high fiber. Later you state that research has shown that fiber does have calories, approx. 1.5-2 g/day.

When counting calories is it more accurate to just zero out the fiber since it has a mostly unmeasurable effect on nutrient absorption and an uncertain effect on the amount of calories in the fiber?

lylemcd 11-17-2009 10:00 AM

Unless you eat a fairly enormous amount of fiber, worrying about the caloric value isn't generally useful. But if you work the math

if you doubled fiber to 36 grams/day, that's ~72 calories from fiber. Which might reduce absorption of othres by 100. so yes, it about balances out.

clicker666 11-17-2009 12:46 PM

Thanks! I usually take in at least 25g fiber, and usually close to 40 a day, and was curious as to the caloric impact.