BodyRecomposition Support Forums

BodyRecomposition Support Forums (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//index.php)
-   General training questions (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fully machine based workout routine? (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showthread.php?t=34881)

dwayne08 06-03-2018 08:56 PM

Fully machine based workout routine?

I will be starting a surgical residency in july. I don't anticipate having much free time to work out, and I would also like to minimize expenditures as much as possible. My apt has a basic machine/dumbbell gym. Would it be possible to make gains or are free weights absolutely necessary. Not looking to optimize results here, progress (even if it is slower) would be okay.

squat 06-03-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwayne08 (Post 311095)
I will be starting a surgical residency in july. I don't anticipate having much free time to work out, and I would also like to minimize expenditures as much as possible. My apt has a basic machine/dumbbell gym. Would it be possible to make gains or are free weights absolutely necessary. Not looking to optimize results here, progress (even if it is slower) would be okay.

Free weights are not absolutely necessary at all.

BEATMEOUTTAME 06-04-2018 09:48 PM

Should be fine for what you're looking to do. I would add pushups to the routine for sure though. And if you can implement pullups, even better.

AlphaBettor 06-05-2018 11:39 AM

Machines can be fine but they have to fit you. This is actually one of the nice things about a typical gym. Even if many of the machines are useless or don't fit your body type, there are so darn many of them that inevitably some of them are actually pretty helpful.

Unfortunately, apartment fitness centers tend to have lower quality equipment and less selection. Usually you can put together good routines though with whatever you have to work with, dumbbells and other implements, bodyweight exercises, and some creativity.

BEATMEOUTTAME 06-07-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaBettor (Post 311129)
Machines can be fine but they have to fit you. This is actually one of the nice things about a typical gym. Even if many of the machines are useless or don't fit your body type, there are so darn many of them that inevitably some of them are actually pretty helpful.

Unfortunately, apartment fitness centers tend to have lower quality equipment and less selection. Usually you can put together good routines though with whatever you have to work with, dumbbells and other implements, bodyweight exercises, and some creativity.

Thats a good point. Usually apartments have one "Do it all" machine in the middle of a 15x15 room . pretty underwhelming, particularly if they dont fit your body too well

Another good reason to implement pushups and pullups. Two of the best exercises to make sure you're getting a well rounded workout

w1cked 06-07-2018 04:04 PM

I do mostly machines these days. The hammer strength line is absolutely the best ones I've used. Cables are great too.