View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhertz View Post
I've seen alot of evidence scientifically of the health benefits of vegan diets, especially on heart disease and cholesterol, and e.g. it's the only diet proven to reverse heart.disease I believe.

I was then pretty sure that going vegan was one of the best healthy ways to eat, provided obviously that you made sure to eat varied for getting proper vitamins/minerals and taking supplements for the rest e.g. B12.

Lyle mcdonald has for many years been my "go-to-guy" for anything scientific in regards to diet/training/health, so I thought to myself that i'd better check that Lyle himself agrees with this, and I got the exact opposite and that he considers them as having an eating-disorder!

As someone who goes so strictly by the scientific research, then how can you say this, please? Obviously, with any diet, you need to eat varied to not get malnourished, but that goes the same with veganism no?

Lastly, could I please ask if it's in Lyle's opinion only because of the reduction in saturated fat that there is healthy research made for vegans? Because i'm not vegan and just eat low fat meat like chicken breast and tuna, and use healthy oils/fish-oil for fat and wholegrain carbs, and I get enough calcium from 100g whey per day, and was then thinking if that was just as healthy, then i'd prefer continuing this, than to going vegan. OK, the veggies/fruits i'm sure help vegans also, but that could too be added to the diet I presented above that i'm following.

Thanks in advance!

-Martin.
These studies you're referring to... Do they compare unhealthy people put on a vegan diet to other unhealthy people that stay on their current diet? That's the problem with this whole vegan thing. If you take two unhealthy people with the same diet and literally change one of their diets to ANYTHING else that forces or implies some form or calorie restriction, you're going to see their health improved. It's not that being vegan is better than other "healthy" diets, it's that their diet was so **** to begin with that doing literally anything else would give them health benefits. Veganism specifically is going to heavily reduce your calorie consumption because the diet is full of very low calorie and high fiber foods. So OF COURSE obese people who make the change will see drastic changes in their health.