View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2015, 10:10 AM

You need to read these 2 articles:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...s-part-1.html/

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...s-part-2.html/

Set total calories, then set protein, set fat, set carbs. The magnitude of your caloric restriction will determine how low you have to go on carbs and fat. Protein is a set amount, period. Don't deviate from that. That said, carbs help with energy and recovery so I tend to keep fat low and carbs relatively higher so I can fit within my caloric restriction.

UD2 is very ketogenic for the first 3.5 days, correct.

As far as the amount of carbs on a cut - first of all, I am no expert. But, my thinking is that if you are in a deficit, your body is burning calories from all sources - carbs, protein (muscle) and fat. Keeping protein high and lifting weights provides the substrate and signaling to your body to maintain lean body mass. Therefore your body starts consuming carbs + fat for energy. The lower the carbs, the more you skew consumption to fat because calories have to come from somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadoriel View Post
Ah, that definitely sounds reasonable. Well, too late this time, but definitely something I intend to try after the next 10-14d.

Can I ask you something else? After I read this book.. and comments on Lyle's other books I got extremely confused with what should be more or less my "macros". And I did read that Lyle does not agree with macros (which also makes sense) but unfortunately his guidelines for maintenance are very hard to follow in a cut. So if I eat my 156g of protein a day I still have fats and carbs to choose from. And I'm terribly confused whether I should go higher carbs or higher fats. If a refeed should have more carbs, then the cut surely should have less? UD2 from what I got from comments and reviews looks very ketogenic until the 3d refeed.

I do enjoy carbs a lot. And just from eating some fruit and veggies by main meals, it raises carbs to around 122g. I do like porridge though, and a nice little sandwich after a run. I haven't read everything Lyle wrote... yet. have you seen anything that says someone shouldn't have a lot of carbs on a cut because it decreases chance of losing fat? Specially if adding a refeed every 12 days?