View Single Post
Unread 01-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Fix your Anterior Pelvic Tilt!!!

LAlright, I'm willing to bet a lot of you are affected by Anterior Pelvic Tilt.

It absolutely wreaks havoc on my physical appearance, physical discomfort, and ability to train effectively.

If you aren't familiar with Anterior Pelvic Tilt perhaps Google a picture really quick. If you're a man it basically makes you look pregnant with your gut and butt both protruding.

It's mostly a result of sitting too much at desk jobs or as leisure and not getting enough physical exercise. Sitting around flexed at the hip all day is horrible for your posture.

You'll even notice if you lay down to read you will tend to flex your hip and sit with your knees drawn up, your heels crossed, or your pelvis rotated outward.

The basic tenants of APT are:
1) Weak Hamstrings / Hamstring frequently feel overstretched or "pulled"
2) Weak Glutes / Poor glute activation
3) Poor lower back flexibility, over engaged muscles that often feel tired or sore
4) Tight quads that are dominant in exercise and pull on the Hamstrings
5) Weak, unengaged abdominals/core. Most ab exercises/machines "dont feel right" as your hip flexors and lower back tend to come into play and override the abdominals going through exercise.

Squats and deadlifits don't seem to feel right because of these imbalances and can exacerbate the problem or cause injuries that set back your progress and motivation.

Most of the recommended exercises online seem too conservative and would take forever to make the type of progress you need to make to fix this issue.

The best exercises typically require more initial flexibility than you have and lead you to give up.

How you can test yourself for this problem.

1) stand against the wall. Is there a huge gap you can fit your hand between the walls and your lower back? This is a sign you have this issue.

2) Get into a plank position and hold it or start doing pushups if capablle. Is it difficult to keep your back flat? Do you start to sag with your lower back well before your abs get tired? This is another sign.

3) Look at yourself in the mirror and compare yourself to images of anterior pelvic tilt online. It's a quite distinctive appearance.

Now let's talk about ways to fix this. I'm going to share some things that have helped me a TON. Hopefully others have suggestions that can help as well.

1) Foam rolling. This is a good way to start your progress.

2) Glute bridges. Yeah it looks dumb but it's an absolute necessity IMO.

3) Stability Ball Hamstring Curl. Hands down the best thing I've done to date. Instant pain rellief and flexibility increases.

4) Yoga pose - Virasana. All yoga helps a ton. Try to learn a few new poses each week and implement them. I couldn't even begin to get into this position initially and now I can hold it a long time. Unbelievable how much this helps.

5) Hit the quad machines at the gym. Reduce the weight and do 3 sets of 15 reps. Concentrate on taking it through the entire range of motion. You don't really want to build strength in quads to fix this problem they are already over developed compared to your hamstrings. So you are focused on improving their fllexibility. Stretching won't make as much progress as light resistance training will.

6) Couch Stretch. Work your way up to this stretch and you will start making huge leaps in progress

7) Warrior pose. (Yoga) A must do.

8) Bretzel. (Google this it's great)

9) Walk for distance. Walk each day and squeeze your Glutes on each step. This will lead teach them to reengage. Focus on your posture.

10) Stop sitting so much at work, home, etc. ("Desk bound- Standing up in a sitting down World") was a quick, cheap book I read on Kindle that helped me wrap my head around everything. Not a plug, it's a great book. Complete with stretch recommendations and changes you can make to your daily life (a must read if you work long hours at a desk in my opinion)

Bottom line to make real progress do this stuff DAILY. The physical pain relief and visual appearance improvements are some of the most worthwhile exercise results I've ever experienced.

The improvements are rapid as long as you commit to holding the poses/stretches a little deeper and longer each day.

I may post a before/after shot today later

LASTLY. DO THE HIP FLEXOR STRETCH DAILY. PERIOD. Focus intently on adding time, depth, and number of sets/reps. Track your progress.

Ok other people's experience, go!

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 01-28-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: A