View Single Post
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trn450 View Post
By definition and ionophore increases permeability of membranes. An extrinsic ionophore such as DNP which increases proton permeability across mitochondrial membranes is effectively tearing apart our biochemical infrastructure, if only temporarily, by making the membranes permeable to ions in ways they wouldn't otherwise be permeable to. The proton gradient exists to drive ATP production--DNP destroys the efficiency of that gradient by altering the permeability of the membrane.

This isn't simply a side effect, this is the mechanism of action that makes it effective. You inefficiently use up energy. Granted, the difference between therapy and toxicity is typically dose for any chemical--including H2O and O2.

Although, I can see how you wouldn't appreciate that explanation if you don't quite understand that structure and function of a biological membrane, and more specifically, the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes as they pertain to oxidative phosphorylation.
It'd interesting that you put in this perspective although I still think "destroying" or "tearing" in the context you used was misleading words (see bellow). Yeah it's used on some biological textbooks and yes it's is technically a "metabolic poison" which is another way to name what you just described; A better description however would be "it disrupt the proton gradient change in the inner part of mitochondrial membrane. Cells continue to oxidize food molecules to feed electrons into the electron-transport chin, but H+ ions pumped across the membrane flow back into the mitochondria in futile cycle."

Interestingly a very similar mechanism used by..... brown fat cells... they naturally do what DNP causes in all cells by a similar mechanism. These specialized fat cells are packed with mitochondria that leak part of their H+ gradient futilely back across the membrane for the sole purpose of warming up the organism. These cells are brown because they are stuffed with mitochondria, which contain high concentrations of pigmented proteins, such as cytochromes.

When I saw that info for the first time, I find it amuzing because it turns out, DNP mechanism of action isn't something "alien" or "esoteric".... but rather something very similar to what some specialized tissues in the body already do "by design". Hence why I think throwing away the words "destroys", "tears" out of context can be misleading.

One line of research for potential weight-loss drugs is precisely the objective of 1) converting white fat cells to brown ones and 2) activate it's heat mechanism so it's stay 'on' for most of the time.

Guess what, DNP already do that wholesale on the entire organism.
Granted it's far from perfect but recent research on this subject concludes that this mechanism is a valid method for weight loss treatment and should be further researched (if I find the paper that mentions that I will post here later).

Now if the weight loss industry invested in the pursue of a DNP successor with less sides (say, zero risk of cataracts, no yellow staining, etc) coupled even with a secondary agent that could fend off excess heat production for example.... it would not be hard to imagine a drug that would raise metabolism by 50%+ with half or less of DNP sides.

While this doesn't happen, DNP carefully administered is a perfectly valid option for weight loss treatments even more so for morbid obese individuals (DNP is far, far preferable then those franken-surgeries that literally mutilates the gastro-intestinal aparatus as a way of treatment).

Even though biochemistry minutia regarding DNP is not my interest, I'm all for discussing any facts and objective data on this subject, specially because I'm using it.

Btw I shall post more details about my ongoing experience with it soon.