View Single Post
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
OK Lyle, I took your advice. I have done A LOT of reading and research on your site. Does this look better?:

I have poor recovery so I can't do a 4 days a week routine so I will be doing a 3 days a week routine (altered generic bulk type workout ABA BAB). I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10 keeping the same weight each set. I will progress the weights when I can do all 3 sets with 10 reps. I will do this workout cycle for 6 weeks (2 weeks submax runup and 4 weeks of heavy lifting). I am doing 3x8-10 because of my previous injuries and surgeries and I don't want to risk getting hurt with a lower rep range.

Day 1 Upper

1. Flat dumbbell bench press
2. Neutral grip seated machine rows
3. Seated dumbbell shoulder press
4. Wide grip lat pulldowns to the front

Day 2 Lower

1. Sled hack squat machine
2. Lying leg curls
3. Standing calve raises
4. Seated crunch machine

After this workout cycle gets completed, I will than do this next workout cycle for 6 weeks (again, 2 weeks submax runup and 4 weeks of heavy lifting):

Day 1 Upper

1. Flat dumbbell bench press
2. Neutral grip seated machine rows
3. Low incline dumbbell bench press
4. Wide grip lat pulldowns to the front
5. Seated dumbbell lateral raises

*The reason I added seated dumbbell lateral raises is because I have dropped seated dumbbell shoulder press in this workout and added low incline dumbbell bench press, therefore I needed something that really hits the side delts.

Day 2 Lower (this lower day is same as the lower day in the first cycle)

1. Sled hack squat machine
2. Lying leg curls
3. Standing calve raises
4. Seated crunch machine

The reason I didn't include any direct arm training is for a few reasons: 1. I feel my arms get worked enough by doing the compound pushes and pulls. By the time I get done with those, my arms are so pumped where direct arm training is useless. 2. After doing the compound pushes and pulls, not only do I feel that direct arm training is useless...I feel it can be detrimental. When I do direct arm training after compounds, if I try to do tris or bis, my elbows get fried beyond belief. 3. Not to be funny, but my arms are probably my best body part. I don't need extra work on them.

The reason my lower day looks so limited is because I can't do certain exercises due to old injuries (SLDL, back squats, front squats, deads, etc.). Plus, my gym doesn't have a leg press machine, a seated calve machine, or a seated leg curl machine.

So what do you think Lyle? Is this an improvement (even to the point where you would say this is a good routine? LOL)
just hit the gym and see what happens. ABA-BAB is good, obviously your injuries will be a limitation but thats how it is. personally i wouldn't exclude direct arm training but thats me ( for example you could add a few sets of arms to your leg workout ). add side raises to your upper body day (workout cycle 1). also maybe do 4x8-10 on flat db press on workout cycle 1 (because you are only doing one chest exercise and you mentioned you can't do flyes). can you do hyperextensions? so that you do atleast something for your lower back.

Last edited by mrlakramondas : 03-23-2010 at 03:25 PM.