BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Default Why does Top Ramen taste so good? Duplicating taste without the fat

I'd like to duplicate the taste of top ramen but with something with less fat. Maybe pasta with a top ramen taste.

Is that possible? I have no idea where to start.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Use soba noodles and make your own base.

http://www.healthhokkaido.com/files/...shimi/soba.cfm
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM

That ramen noodles imported from Thailand that can be bought in Walmart tastes better btw. It's called "mama."

Anyway, try using tofu Shiratake noodles and for the base, use a fat free chicken broth.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM

What do I need after the chicken broth? Surely it's not just the chicken broth giving it that taste? If so, then what's all of the fat for?

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
What do I need after the chicken broth? Surely it's not just the chicken broth giving it that taste? If so, then what's all of the fat for?
I have two options in mind:

1.) If you really wanted to eat top ramen, why not just do an IIFYM diet type and eat the real thing?

Or

2.) Use fat-free chicken broth, tofu Shiratake noodles and put Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco hot sauce in the broth. I think you're also craving for the saltiness factor and those two above contains very little calories but can definitely add taste to a plain food.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Paulo View Post
I have two options in mind:

1.) If you really wanted to eat top ramen, why not just do an IIFYM diet type and eat the real thing?

Or

2.) Use fat-free chicken broth, tofu Shiratake noodles and put Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco hot sauce in the broth. I think you're also craving for the saltiness factor and those two above contains very little calories but can definitely add taste to a plain food.
Both good points. I'll try #2, thanks.

Unread 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Personally, I do option #1 and I also add those two sauces. If you choose to do just plain #2, you can also play with spices such as cayenne pepper, black pepper(although I prefer ground white pepper on soups), paprika or even Mrs. Dash.

And also, if you choose to do #1, what I normally do is I add lean meats such as frozen shrimps, egg, or any leftover meats then I also add veggies to increase it's nutritional value. Bok choy and Chinese broccoli makes an excellent choice for most boiled/ steamed foods btw.
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks to google:

http://www.food.com/recipe/shirataki...e-ramen-337171
Unread 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to amir85

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Why does Top Ramen taste so good?
Mostly because of its key flavoring ingredient "autolyzed yeast extract" AKA MSG. Many Asian stores carry it in crystalline form.
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Top Ramen has MSG directly. But yes, foods like autolyzed yeast extract have high concentrations of free Glutamate. Sea weed also has high concentrations. So does parmesan cheese. I looked into glutamate recently and sortof decided that

1. Pouring grams and grams of MSG directly into food is a bad idea probably
2. Having it occasionally, especially through sources like sea weed, cheese, soy sauce, is no big deal.

So I don't buy MSG powder, but when I cook asian food, I certainly and purposefully increase the Glutamate levels.