BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Default It is...the most interesting log in the world (32/m/UD2.0)

I've been talking a big game about doing Ultimate Diet 2.0 and today was day 1. I've read the book several times and scoured the forums to learn all the tricks of the trade. Logging to give myself a distraction during the fat loss portion and solicit advice from the many people who've done this before

Me on 09/30/13, 170 lbs ~17% BF: http://imgur.com/a/mWWJM
Me on 12/19/13, 159 lbs ~14% BF: http://imgur.com/a/IJ8Qz

Starting stats:
5'10" (I don't expect this to change)
162 lbs
Ab skinfold: 18mm
Thigh skinfold: 16mm
Pec skinfold: 12mm
Calculated BF%: 14.1%
Goal: Fat loss/recomp

Been on a holiday diet bulk-err, break for the past 2 weeks, with birthday and christmas parties and some combination of family and inlaws visiting the whole time. Weighed in at 162 lbs this morning, which I don't think is too bad considering all the stress and holiday treats :P

Planning to do one 8-day cycle, five standard cycle and one "compressed" cycle (the one with 24 hours between tension and power). I'm already 1/49 of the way there!

Anyways, on to the meat of the log (uh huh huh huh huh). Here's what I did today. All sets were 45-60 seconds, with the chest/back exercises erring on the longer side and the shoulders on the shorter. This is where not having updated your ipod in like two years comes in handy since I know every single song well enough to just check a minute ahead, rewind, and go for it.

Day 1

Diet (cals/fat/protein/carbs/fiber)
1,276 / 28 / 209 / 28 / 28

Workout (does this look good?)
A1) Assisted Dips 6x
A2) Assisted Pullups 6x (2 each of pronated, neutral, and supinated grip)
B1) DB Incline Bench 6x
B2) Cable Row 6x
C1) DB Lateral Raise 8x
C2) DB Rear Delt Fly 8x

I decided to do a chest/back/shoulders and legs/abs/arms depletion split; with the new years rush, monopolizing fewer machines will make it easier to get done in a timely manner :P

For the dips and pullups I did have to increase the assistance weight as I got further along although I did okay with the second superset, only having to drop the weight for rows once (started too heavy).

I indeed felt a ridiculous burn and was totally exhausted by the end, but never got nauseous and, for the moment, have no desire to track down Lyle and beat the shinola out of him. I attribute this mostly to having done a couple "practice" workouts while my dad & brother were visiting, and from being fully carb-loaded and then some after eating christmas cookies for a week.

No issues with diet today. I'm basically eating RFL style @~1.5g/lb LBM, although being a teensy bit more lenient (a quest bar, relax). MFP diary is below, just making it public now because screw it, the NSA already knows everything I eat what do I care if you all do too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/NOAMattD

Stay tuned!

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:11 AM

I giggle every time I look at your log title.

Careful what you say; I hear the NSA likes to use back doors, if you know what I mean >.> <.<

Good luck!
Unread 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post
I indeed felt a ridiculous burn and was totally exhausted by the end, but never got nauseous and, for the moment, have no desire to track down Lyle and beat the shinola out of him.
The above two deficiencies have been rectified after today's attempt at a legs/abs/arms depletion. Holy hell.

Here's what I managed (all sets were within the recommended 45-60s TUT):

Day 2

Leg curl 8x
Leg Press 8x
Standing Calf Press 6x
Seated Calf Press 3x
Swiss Ball Crunches 8x
Bicep Curls 8x
Skull Crushers 3x

You'll notice there're no superset notations this time - that's because as the workout went on I started doing the abs and arms in between leg exercises to give myself a breather. I got a couple minor cramps in my bad hip (I'm old, get off my lawn) and a really bad one in my triceps which is why I called it quits on the skull crushers. I think I hit them pretty hard yesterday anyways so I'm not concerned there. But after 90 minutes that's what I got done and I had nothing more to give. Of course, I slept like garbage last night, have literally never trained like this before, and probably needed to lower the weights more as I went on.

So since I didn't get to the recommended number sets for any of these (except the biceps) I'm not sure what to do and would appreciate some advice. I could:

a) Do a few sets of hindu squats, hanging leg raises and tricep extensions at home tonight
b) Do a LISS cardio session tomorrow to try and eke out a little more depletion
c) both
d) say eff it and march on

Regardless I'll chalk today's failures up to "dialing things in" and hope that I'll be more capable of this kind of training now that I've done a round of it. May also try a full body variation next week and see if that works better.

My upper body is sore as hell today although not to a crippling degree. Love me some epsom salt baths.

Unread 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM

I like to go machine based for the depletion workouts. They are easier to perform then their free-weight cousins, and it is easier to adjust the weights. I am thinking here of the dips, pullups, incline bench and skullcrushers. I would switch these out to a machine substitute, but that is just me. If they work for you, great.

As for your issue of missing the prescribed volume for an exercise: skip it and move on. This is your learning week. Next time you have to do that workout use a lighter weight and see if you hit the prescribed volume. It took me a few weeks to perfect everything.

Good luck! And yes, lower body is horrible. There is noting quite as excruciating as slow cadence leg presses. Nothing.
Unread 12-30-2013, 05:45 PM

I don't always diet. But when I do, I prefer a Lyle Mcdonald program. Stay hungry my friends...

My RFL Log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=21716

My new "Flexible" Diet Log (9/8/13)
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=26761
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Day 3

I realize now I can't have a log title like this without adding some witticisms up in this piece.

He gets 6 grams a day of EFAs...through de novo lipogenesis.

Not much to report today. Toddler woke me up by smacking me with the coffee press to inform me I needed to make myself some coffee. Thanks son. Slept better (thanks melatonin) and generally doing okay, just did 45 mins of treadmill walking and plan to go for a fasted jog tomorrow morning. I'm probably too fat to feel the stubborn fat "itch" people on that forum mention but since this will be the one and only 8-day cycle I get to do I may as well take full advantage.

I also feel a profound gratitude to Frank and his Original RedHot sauce.

Happy New Year everyone!

Unread 01-02-2014, 09:15 AM

His muscles...can absorb fructose directly.

Day 4

30 minutes of fasted morning cardio pushing a stroller with a 30 lb. kid. No itchy SFS abs

Day 5

Tension workout this morning. I started with a 200mg caffeine tab, half a scoop of whey, and a small bottle of vitamin water which was exactly 30g carbs and 15g protein. Here's what I did, actually got done in about an hour. Bolded exercises are ones I need to increase the weight for next cycle:

A1) Squat 3x6@235
A2) Pullup 2x10
B1) Bench Press 2x8@165
B2) Cable Row 2x10@125
C1) Single Leg curl 3x9 @ 70
C2) DB Incline Bench 2x9 @ 50
C3) Leg Extension 1x9@170
D1) Smith Calf Raise 2x10@"245" (assuming the smith bar is 0. which it is.)
D2) DB Lateral Raise 2x10@15
D3) Seated Calf Raise 2x10@115
E1) BB curl 2x10@65
E2) Swiss ball crunch 2x12@55
E3) DB Skull crusher 2x10@20
E4) DB Side bend 2x10@75

Next week I think I'll move legs to the end and maybe up the weights on the bolded exercises. While I didn't ever get nauseous I did feel extremely tired until about halfway through which was probably the preworkout drink kicking in a bit. I'm not used to working out first thing in the morning either and some of these are movements I don't normally do so I'm still working on nailing down the right weight. I think I've got things about 80% figured out though at least through this point. We'll see how the carb load and power workout go.

Rather than chug an huge shake of protein and corn syrup I started my carb load right after I got done witha scoop of whey, a scoop of casein, half a box of cheerios and 2 cups of milk. Pasta and sweet potatoes are waiting in the wings, and pork stew with blackeye peans and cornbread later for dinner. Low fat ice cream sandwiches for dessert. This is going to be glorious.

Unread 01-03-2014, 09:09 AM

His excess carbs...go towards glycogen super-duper-compensation.

Day 6

Macros from yesterday's carb load:
Cals / Fat / Protein / Net Carbs
3,255 / 34 / 192 / 502

I came close to hitting the exact numbers I was going for, protein was a bit high but that's never a bad thing. At 61kg LBM I decided to shoot for an even 800g carbs over the two days (8 day cycle this first round) which works out to around 13.1 g/kg. I figured it was better to err on the lower end. That leaves me with ~300 g to get today. Popcorn and a hearty beef stew with lots of potatoes and carrots are on the agenda.

NOW, I did go over the sugar limits already thanks to some delicious off-brand honey nut cheerios. However, they came right after my tension workout, and both of these days will be end up being very low in fat which should limit fat regain. I also slept like a log last night.

Oh yeah stats:

Day 1: 160.0
Day 5: 157.0 (Pre-tension workout, 35 lbs since May baby!)
Day 6: 157.6

So as you can see not much weight regain after carb load part a. this is par for the course for me, it seems to take a couple days of refeeding for my weight to really spike. I don't understand why since I drink nothing but water and lots of it every single day. One of the many interesting things I've learned about my body on this trip.

Unread 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM

His glycogen stores deplete themselves...out of pure respect.

Days 7 & 8 - Cycle 1 complete

Power workout went well. Took just under two hours, yet there was a guy who was there before me and was still there when I left, and the whole time he was doing either smith machine shoulder presses or DB incline bench. No idea what his deal is but we did have a laugh over the new year's rush. Also an 85 year old guy worked in with me on my deadlift warmups. His form was pretty terrible but at that age I say do whatever the eff you want, you paid your dues.

Diet was mostly spot-on yesterday although I did cave a little have an ice cream sandwich for an evening snack :P

Power workout (bolded exercises are going up 5 lbs next week):
Deadlift 3x5 275
Calf raise 3x5 335
Flat Bench 3x5 185
BB Row 3x5 145
Inc. Bench 3x5 145
Chinup 3x5 50
Front Squat 3x5 165
OHP 2x5 105
BB drag curl 2x6 75
CGBP 2x6 135
Rear delt flye 2x6 20
Swiss ball crunch 4x6 80

I think I'll switch the rear delt flyes for a row next time since at that weight my form is crap, but 15s are too easy. The gatorade/whey did hold me up for a while but towards the end I started losing steam, I had originally planned to do about 20lbs more on the front squat and OHP but I was just getting too tired at that point. Incline bench, front squat and BB rows I haven't done in a while so I spent a few extra warmup sets finding the right weight - I actually did a couple incline benches at 160 so it's cool to say I can bench my weight in incline now!

Like I said yesterday wasn't bad and other than my little treat there I did fine on the macros. Going in I said to myself "well of course I won't need two cycles to dial it all in" before starting but I retract my statement. Still I think the first cycle went really well and right now I'm probably at about 85% of the way to having things nailed down perfectly!

From here on I'll be doing the standard 7 day cycle, doing the tension workout around 4PM after work on thursday. I will need the distraction during the diet portion so expect another update after depletion today :P

Last edited by NOAMattD : 01-06-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Unread 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Day 9 (Cycle 2 Day 1)

DEPLETION. BLEURGH.

Everything else I can take but these workouts are murder. They take too damn long. I might try splitting it up even further (morning/afternoon both days) but I'm not sure if that's straying too far from the book. It sure would make things easier though.

Assisted Dips 6x
Leg press 6x
Calf raise 4x
Assisted Pull-ups 6x
Leg curl 6x
Swiss crunch 6x
Bicep curl 4x
Skull crusher 4x
Seated calf 2x
Lateral Raise 4x
Rear delt fly 4x

Took just shy of two hours. That includes a quick warmup and maybe 5 minutes of jibber-jabber with people I know there but still. Long. I do think the full body variant was less fatiguing, still horrible and draining but I didn't feel like puking this time.

I will say that having done a couple rounds of RFL prior to this has helped, at least diet-wise I don't have any trouble with these days.

I asked this in another topic a bit ago as well as alluding to it above: Would there be any detriment to moving SOME of these depletion workouts (say the arms and shoulders portion) to a second workout later in the day? My workplace has a small gym with machines and free weights that I could easily use for the latter half. It would be less time in the gym and maybe make it less of a grind. Anyone says anything (they won't) and I'll be like, "I'm taking all my smoke breaks at once today." 8)

Last edited by NOAMattD : 01-06-2014 at 03:04 PM.