BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-06-2014, 01:34 PM

btw I was wondering whether that's a picture of you in your avatar. If so, what product do you use for the beard?
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensetrainboy View Post
Nice log, thanks.

- Are you feeling the need to eat WAY more, even though you are now at maintenance?

Also, keep us updated on maintenance, so we know how much of it was really fat.
The need? No, but once I turn from PSMF to protein, my mind knows that we get more food so eating is constantly on my mind. French Toast Bagels are BAD!

Yep, I plan on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by vv1 View Post
Yea def look out for that ankle. Seems like its best to keep fats low for the first week of maintenance, according to lyle - if i remember correclty- the long term fat loss can keep going for about a week even with increased calories, as long as they come from carbs.

What do you think about doing some depletion sets on day 1 to kick start it, or would the large amount of cardio do it alone.

Did you end the diet with a refeed, since you said you felt strong during your workout? I wonder why there is no refeed mentioned in the book to end the diet. (or are we supposed to assume one from the original RFL?)
Yep, you are correct. I figure under 50g a day is safe.

It wasn't in the book so I don't think much of it in this situation. Honestly, I don't think it would be possible to finish ERFL if you were to do a full depletion workout on Day 1. The low calories and walking would drive you in the ground. However, I did do a fullbody on day 1 that surely used up some muscle glycogen but it was more HIT style then depletion.

I didn't do a planned refeed per se, just returned to somewhat maint. Cals and made sure to get in my carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste Of Fire View Post
Heh, well it's not an exact answer, but I do understand what you mean. It's best to set a marker for yourself and follow the program as planned. When you measure everything, you know everything (sort of).

I also really understand the conditioning part. I would also drawn myself if I had to swim for that many hours. But I do think that an exercise like riding the bike is much easier. In fact, it MIGHT be easier than walking (less stress on the joints). You also have full control. Speed, resistance, distance, intensity, etc. I'm not sure about the calories though.

Your experience at least have shown me that walking for so long can give some problems. I am thinking about adding some bike rides in combination with walking when I would follow it. Clearly there are a lot of options to try. I also think that we can serve as guinea pigs to see what's possible with these kind of diet approaches. We can help each other that way.

B.t.w. 5000 kcal deficit per day is a lot. I know it also depends on your maintenance, diet, your weight, walking speed and distance. How many calories do you think you burn during 1 hour of walking?
I would agree, biking has it's benefits as you mention. I guess my point is, I would like to make sure I am burning the same amt of calories as I did when walking (or more) as I would on the bike. There is just not any time left in the day to burn at a slower rate when shooting for a goal calorie deficit. They potential downfall, is that your lowerbody is using most of the energy vs it being fullbody, or closer to, such as in walking. But.....my second dance with ERFL, I will most likely be biking for a portion of the day and go from there.

I agree. My advice so far, if you are sedentary as me, is to get a couple hours a week of walking/biking 2-3 weeks before ERFL week.

An individuals maintenance is a huge factor. PSMF alone would create near the deficit they needed. I didn't use my polar when walking but online calc I used shows 420 Calories in 1hr at 3.5 for my weight. So, on the day I walked 5hrs, thats 2100 burned. 900 Cal consumed at 2400 maintenance = 3600 cal deficit.
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
btw I was wondering whether that's a picture of you in your avatar. If so, what product do you use for the beard?
HaHa. Not quite
Its Jim Carrey from "Dumb and Dumber To" The Hulk avatar was taken so this was a close second.
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eattoshred View Post
I would agree, biking has it's benefits as you mention. I guess my point is, I would like to make sure I am burning the same amt of calories as I did when walking (or more) as I would on the bike. There is just not any time left in the day to burn at a slower rate when shooting for a goal calorie deficit. They potential downfall, is that your lowerbody is using most of the energy vs it being fullbody, or closer to, such as in walking. But.....my second dance with ERFL, I will most likely be biking for a portion of the day and go from there.

I agree. My advice so far, if you are sedentary as me, is to get a couple hours a week of walking/biking 2-3 weeks before ERFL week.

An individuals maintenance is a huge factor. PSMF alone would create near the deficit they needed. I didn't use my polar when walking but online calc I used shows 420 Calories in 1hr at 3.5 for my weight. So, on the day I walked 5hrs, thats 2100 burned. 900 Cal consumed at 2400 maintenance = 3600 cal deficit.
Then we both think the same. I've had the exact same idea. In the end the activity just needs to be low intensity and needs to be performed for many hours. If it can't be done that way, it's not a good choise.

I also don't think it matters that much that the lowerbody is doing the most of the work. The intensity is low. The walks (and the bike rides) purpose is to generate a big deficit over time. Besides, I can't think of cardio exercises that are performed with upperbody also and still is a form of LISS. Yes there's swimming, but we would drawn after multiple hours. There's also rowing, but your back and hamstrings are probaby snapped after 1 hour.

A form of "pre-conditioning" (if it's called that way) also seems like a good idea. Have to eat more though. The pre-conditioning phase most likely will be during the (end of) a bulk. Want to keep a caloric surplus.

A deficit of 3600 kcal still is a very good result (if it's all fat). That's 2 KG of fat in 4 days. I also wonder how far you can push it before it starts to backfire on you. Let's say you can walk 8 hours at your tempo. You would burn about 1200 kcal more in just 1 day. There must be a point where it starts to backfire, like true muscle loss, to much stress, etc. How far can we push it?
Unread 10-06-2014, 08:20 PM

How big is the difference between 1 hour of exercise biking and 1 hour of walking? It can't be that much if the intensity is about the same. Anyway, that is what I will use, no way am I walking outside, its getting too cold.

Interesting point about how far we can push it. How little can you eat and how much can you move in 24h? Either way, there's two things that will limit your fat loss gains. First, time, you can't go very long with this low calories and amount of cardio (start to burn muscle). Second, Trying to push cardio past a certain intensity, along with the duration, would start to burn muscle.

Quote:
It wasn't in the book so I don't think much of it in this situation. Honestly, I don't think it would be possible to finish ERFL if you were to do a full depletion workout on Day 1. The low calories and walking would drive you in the ground. However, I did do a fullbody on day 1 that surely used up some muscle glycogen but it was more HIT style then depletion.

I didn't do a planned refeed per se, just returned to somewhat maint. Cals and made sure to get in my carbs.
Makes sense. I'll probably go by feel then.
Unread 10-06-2014, 10:18 PM

Not sure if I missed this part in your log, but before you started ERFL were you dieting on any other protocol? Or were you just kinda going with the flow and jumped into the diet?
Unread 10-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTwister View Post
Not sure if I missed this part in your log, but before you started ERFL were you dieting on any other protocol? Or were you just kinda going with the flow and jumped into the diet?
State in my OP. Basically I came from a bulk gone somewhat bad. Not getting into the gym, gaining fat each week, diet not on par.
Unread 10-07-2014, 11:03 AM

10/06 Day 8

weight 207.8lbs

*Too much pain to walk any extra today.
**Cal-3075, Fat-41, Carb-422, Pro-241 (food is good)

Still painful to walk

Got to the gym for my lowerbody routine. After having a great and unexpected powerful upperbody day, I had high hopes for lowerbody. Nope, not the case. Squats were down significantly so it turned into a "good form" day. Kind of depressing but could be due to all the walking from ERFL(I told myself that to feel better, I immediately stopped crying and felt special again). Anyways, I will be interested to see how other members ERFL logs go when returning to leg day. I did, however, feel strong on stiff legged deadlifts. Did some heavy calf work and got out. INTENDED to finish lower body high rep work later that evening but the facilities I planned on using had nothing suitable to finish off my legs, and I wasn't about to get creative for a little bit of pump work. The heavy work will have to do for today.
Unread 10-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Squats were down significantly so it turned into a "good form" day. Kind of depressing but could be due to all the walking from ERFL(I told myself that to feel better, I immediately stopped crying and felt special again). Anyways, I will be interested to see how other members ERFL logs go when returning to leg day.
Haven't done Erfl yet, next week though... but i noticed that after my last EOD cut with 1-2h of liss cardio every day, after I moved to maintenance break, my legs took 1 week longer than my upper body to feel fully recovered. Therefore, i only did 1-2 sets of heavy work and 1 set of higher reps during the break. I suspect that is what is going on. I suggest you keep the leg training short and as little volume as you can get away with to maintain until you feel recovered.
Unread 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv1 View Post
Haven't done Erfl yet, next week though... but i noticed that after my last EOD cut with 1-2h of liss cardio every day, after I moved to maintenance break, my legs took 1 week longer than my upper body to feel fully recovered. Therefore, i only did 1-2 sets of heavy work and 1 set of higher reps during the break. I suspect that is what is going on. I suggest you keep the leg training short and as little volume as you can get away with to maintain until you feel recovered.
Relieved to hear. Thanks for chipping in.