BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-17-2017, 12:59 AM

I think you're in the forever fluffy range (between 12 and 17%). Although you make significant progress, it's difficult to tell when looking in the mirror. Just a few percent less and your abs will 'pop' more. Great job so far and don't be discouraged.
Unread 02-17-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
I think you're in the forever fluffy range (between 12 and 17%). Although you make significant progress, it's difficult to tell when looking in the mirror. Just a few percent less and your abs will 'pop' more. Great job so far and don't be discouraged.
This also must be the endless fluffy range where ab seekers end up dying.

You start to question if you'll ever get there. Start to think you're losing too much muscle mass. Start to wonder if it's worth it.

I've been here before.

Think the good news is it's only Feb 17th. Three + months till Memorial Day. Should be plenty of time even with some lengthy maintenance breaks to keep me sane.

Really would love to put this stake in the ground pre 50 years old. Snap the pic, enjoy the summer...

...then proceed to gain 25 lbs.
Unread 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
This also must be the endless fluffy range where ab seekers end up dying.

You start to question if you'll ever get there. Start to think you're losing too much muscle mass. Start to wonder if it's worth it.
It may not be worth it. Once you have abs you'll forever screw up your view of what "fat" is.

That being said, for me at least, whatever my goal weight loss is, I may have to double it to reach my goals. Sucks, that's reality. So, keep losing until you like the way you look.

Although there's a fine line between liking the way you look, and pushing too far and feeling like crap.
Unread 02-18-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
It may not be worth it. Once you have abs you'll forever screw up your view of what "fat" is.

That being said, for me at least, whatever my goal weight loss is, I may have to double it to reach my goals. Sucks, that's reality. So, keep losing until you like the way you look.

Although there's a fine line between liking the way you look, and pushing too far and feeling like crap.
I think my view of what fat is may already be screwed up lol.

The feeling like crap bit is not there for me. UD2 helps with that. I can deal with 3-4 days of pain if I know an avalanche of carbs are coming. It's not a big deal to me. Also, periodic maintenance (like this coming week) has my brain totally forgetting about dieting.

Will keep on pushing. Think next stop is 165.
Unread 04-20-2017, 07:23 AM

I think I've officially entered the phase "where dreams of abs die." This is the phase where fat loss slows to a crawl, difference in appearance is really hard to see, I start getting comments from friends along the lines of "are you sick?" and I start wondering if I even look like I lift anymore.

I've been doing exactly the same thing I have been doing. UD2. I've even been taking an extra "fat loss" day and making "day 4" a full day of dieting/low carb. The scale is just not budging too much. I'd been looking to make a run from 170 lbs (fully depleted) to 165 and I've been stuck at 167 here for a bit. There just seems to be a brick wall here.

On the positive side, I don't feel like I've lost any strength as I'm still pushing the same amount of weight around. (No PRs mind you). Also, clothes don't fit at all. I went from a 34 waist to 31 and pretty much had to buy a new wardrobe.

I'm tempted to dig into some of the old tricks (i.e. bronkaid?) to accelerate fat loss. Anything else anyone would recommend?

KY
Unread 04-20-2017, 07:35 AM

A diet break.

Either you'll have abs and look sick/skinny with clothes on. Or you look like you lift but are fat. That's the curse of most natural lifters.

Also: you have to be very strong to actually have some muscles.
Unread 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM

I'm 41 and abs would be nice but might be unrealistic without looking so skinny you just stepped out of a concentration camp. I'd honestly be happy with a flat stomach which kyoun1e has pretty much already achieved.
Unread 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
A diet break.

Either you'll have abs and look sick/skinny with clothes on. Or you look like you lift but are fat. That's the curse of most natural lifters.

Also: you have to be very strong to actually have some muscles.
Aint this the truth.

This was probably much more achievable 20-25 years ago, but I'd bet my genetics would probably still make it difficult. I'm convinced you have to be somewhat gifted in the genetics department. Too many people seem like they get out of bed, do half the work in the gym, eat whatever the hell they want, and have abs.

Tempted to take a diet break, but as I look at the calendar I see all kinds of land mines between now and memorial day. Warm weather brings parties, celebrations, food, and beverage. And once summer hits, I'm done with OCD behavior until fall. May suck it up.
Unread 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDKnighT View Post
I'm 41 and abs would be nice but might be unrealistic without looking so skinny you just stepped out of a concentration camp. I'd honestly be happy with a flat stomach which kyoun1e has pretty much already achieved.
Why I'm not satisfied with this is a question only the most skilled psychologist could answer. Maybe.
Unread 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Nah.

I know obviously it's considerably harder at 49 than at 29, but still, if you want to get abs and not be super skinny, I really suggest you find some way to increase a bit of lean mass first.

What are you lifting? Try to increase the big compounds. Try and gain 3-5kg of lean muscle. It may still be possible.

THEN, at 165-170 lbs, you should be quite lean and ab-by.