BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Anti - Hangover?

I've noticed recently if I control my alcohol intake (say under 8 beers) on a given night and stay hydrated, I wake up the next day feeling almost euphoric and better than normal. In fact, I have actually experienced some of my best days in the gym after a night of moderate drinking. This almost always happens unless I get absolutely smashed, and sometimes it is accompanied by 4 hours or less of sleep. Does anyone else experience this? Anyone know why this happens? Obviously, not complaining about it.
Unread 04-09-2017, 01:11 PM

8 beers is moderate drinking? I mean I live in New Orleans and that even seems excessive to me on a regular basis.
Unread 04-09-2017, 02:19 PM

Definitely wouldn't happen on a regular basis, but yeah. Compared to other university students I'm around, 8 beers is pretty mild.
Unread 04-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Cool

I think you need to take the orientation over again.
Unread 04-09-2017, 09:35 PM

I have not noticed this. Maybe before the traumatic brain injury. I would boast about being able to drink the most. I still can, but now I black out. I got a tbi because I was drunk. So it goes.
Unread 04-09-2017, 11:59 PM

You may feel slightly more relaxed when there's still some alcohol in your blood. Also, for some, alcohol may increase blood pressure as well.
Unread 04-10-2017, 02:15 AM

My guess is you might just be riding the cortisol wave...

So, hanging out with the Anti-hangover is a lot more fun then dancing the night away with his evil twin brother, the Anti-Christ.
Unread 05-18-2017, 12:06 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I've noticed recently if I control my alcohol intake (say under 8 beers) on a given night and stay hydrated, I wake up the next day feeling almost euphoric and better than normal. In fact, I have actually experienced some of my best days in the gym after a night of moderate drinking. This almost always happens unless I get absolutely smashed, and sometimes it is accompanied by 4 hours or less of sleep. Does anyone else experience this? Anyone know why this happens? Obviously, not complaining about it.
Ok so I remember reading somewhere awhile back about alcohol slightly raising free test levels. I think its pretty clear that chronic intake of alcohol above a certain amount reduces testosterone, but I found two studies that demonstarted acute effects of alcohol raising testosterone.
For the record I'm not arguing that these studys prove anything, but I thought I'd share what I found:

Testosterone Increases in Men After a Low Dose of Alcohol
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...206648A.f01t01

- 0.5 g/kg in my case would be about 45 grams of alcohol. A Keystone light, my university's go to beer, has 104 cals per beer. With alcohol at 7 cals per gram, and assuming (wrongly, I know) that all cals in the beer are derived from alcohol. That would yield 14.8 grams of alcohol per can, and would equate for my size 3 keystone lights. Not quite 8 for me but check out the other study

Postresistance exercise ethanol ingestion and acute testosterone bioavailability.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309

- This one "demonstrates" that if I behaved like the sample tested I could drink 1.09g/kg of lean mass or roughly 91.6 grams of alcohol and get a 100% increase in test levels. Or about 6 cans of Keystone light.

Anyways I just thought I'd bring this around for your consideration. I looked this up once before because I noticed that the next day after a "excess in moderation" drinking bout, not necessarily hungover but in the sweet spot like you were saying I was getting massive.. gains, but not in the gym per say , it made me want to look it up and I remember seeing info like the studies i posted links to. Made sense to me at the time, but i hear more info to the contrary so I inevitably decided not to include beer in my bodybuilding diet
Unread 05-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
Extra carbs maybe? Craft beer can have ~10 - 15 carbs per beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
8 beers is moderate drinking? I mean I live in New Orleans and that even seems excessive to me on a regular basis.
Per day? Probably.

But I'm sure plenty of people who drink regularly on the weekends have 8 or more when going out. Also remember time is a factor, 8 beers over the course of two hours...yeah that's a problem. Over the course of 6 hours? Not really.

People also severely underestimate how many standard "drinks" they're having. Many can fill a wine glass and easily have two standard drinks in that wine glass (3 - 5 oz. is typically floated around as a single drink), or you have a mixed drink or whiskey neat/on the rocks at a bar with who knows how many shots in it and consider that "1 drink". Finally, craft beer today comes in many different forms and alcohol percentages, many of them higher. That 7% IPA in a 16 oz. can is no way near "1 drink".

General guidelines recommend no more than 14 drinks in a week for a male, and more than 4 in a single sitting to be "binge drinking", but there's no standards set for actual blood alcohol levels and how those can effect your health long term.

They show that moderate drinking can have health benefits, but alcoholism and chronic binge drinking clearly has ill effects. There aren't any studies (that I've come across at least) that study your average Joe who may have a couple during the week, and then 8 or so on a Friday and a Saturday. Not long term anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPbrah View Post
Ok so I remember reading somewhere awhile back about alcohol slightly raising free test levels. I think its pretty clear that chronic intake of alcohol above a certain amount reduces testosterone, but I found two studies that demonstarted acute effects of alcohol raising testosterone.
I was regularly drinking ~20 - 25 beers per week and my testosterone tested >600 twice during that year (last year). Anecdotally at least, it had no effect on my testosterone levels.

Disclaimer: My testosterone had tanked (ironically while drinking less alcohol than that) and I was on Clomid for that year while recovering. Still, I think if you're a daily binge drinker and have a problem, it will effect your testosterone. More "moderate" drinking may not have the same effect.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 05-18-2017 at 10:13 AM.