BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-15-2018, 05:46 AM

Default Do adaptations and other nasty stuff happen below 12%

A lot of what i read on these forums scare me quite a bit.. in terms of what people have to go through to get very lean (10% or below). claims of 2000 calorie maintenances for males which and having to eat 1500 just to lose 1lbs a week. I'm thinking to myself, this is a healthy male who is active and weight trains? Something can't be right here.. and then i made the correlation that most of these people are already extremely lean.

For someone like myself, who is relatively happy floating anywhere from 12 to 15%.. should i be worrying about all of these metabolic adaptations from dieting aggressively (RFL Style) or adapting to a lot of physical stress on the body (lots of walking which i've done in the past).. It seems like all of these said tools i use still help me maintain my goal of 12-15%, and my maintenance has never really deviated from 2500-2700.. So what i mean by this is, if i wanted to reach a certain weight, i wouldn't have to dip below a certain number in calories (which in my case was 2000-2200.. or in terms of physical stress, i wouldn't have to increase steps any further.. if that makes sense?

Last edited by shredordie : 04-15-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Unread 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM

I have no idea what you’re asking. But I think you need to read up on set point on the main site. Besides that if you’re eating at maintenance you won’t have any dieting related metabolic adaptions that occur with RFL.
Unread 04-15-2018, 08:28 AM

My apologies, i didn't really make myself clear.

The main takeaway i'm trying to really get from this is should one be worrying about any nasty down regulation of hormones and adaptations at 12-15%.

The point i was making was i've seen a lot males at a decent weight claim they need to eat stupidly low calories to either lose or maintain their weight and the correlation i made with this was they were already very lean to begin with so their body must be in a very deprived state metabolically speaking.

How i'm trying to make this relative to me is by stating that i've never had to deal with going super low on calories and never deviated away from a certain number to lose or maintain, and i was wondering is this due to the fact that i'm not looking to push my boundaries further than 12-15%.
Unread 04-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredordie View Post
i've never had to deal with going super low on calories and never deviated away from a certain number to lose or maintain..is this due to the fact that i'm not looking to push my boundaries further than 12-15%.
Yes.

Also, why are you comparing yourself to others. Even individuals at the same weight and body fat percentage can have different dietary requirements

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 04-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:

The main takeaway i'm trying to really get from this is should one be worrying about any nasty down regulation of hormones and adaptations at 12-15%.

The point i was making was i've seen a lot males at a decent weight claim they need to eat stupidly low calories to either lose or maintain their weight and the correlation i made with this was they were already very lean to begin with so their body must be in a very deprived state metabolically speaking.

How i'm trying to make this relative to me is by stating that i've never had to deal with going super low on calories and never deviated away from a certain number to lose or maintain, and i was wondering is this due to the fact that i'm not looking to push my boundaries further than 12-15%.
Depends on your set point.
Unread 04-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Depends