BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-07-2018, 03:31 AM

Default 3 per week program. opinions?

I'm an intermediate lifter, M, 29yo.

My 1RM best squat is 1.6x bodyweight, deadlift is 1.7x bodyweight, and BP is 1.2x bodyweight.

Any opinions on this program I plan to implement soon? I will do a 4-month bulk January through April. I can afford to train 3x per week. I have the T-Rex look and I really want to fix that, so I'll focus on upper body development.

My main concern is whether the total volume is sufficient. I read a few articles, including this one.

Mondays:
  • bench press 5x5, 3' rest
  • chest flies 2x10, 2'
  • lateral raise 2x10, 2'
  • arnold press 2x10, 2'
  • tricep extensions 2x10, 2'

Wednesdays:
  • deadlift 2x5, 3'
  • yates row 5x5, 3'
  • curls 3x10, 1.30'
  • shrugs 3x10, 1.30'

Fridays:
  • military press 4x6-8, 3'
  • squats 5x5, 3'
  • seated dumbbell overhead press 4x10, 2'
  • incline dumbbell bench press 4x10, 2'
  • seated rows 3x12, 2'

thank you!
Unread 11-07-2018, 03:56 AM

Looks decent. Might wanna lighten up on rows on d2. D3 looks pretty hard but if you can do it why not. Try it and adjust
Unread 11-07-2018, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Looks decent. Might wanna lighten up on rows on d2. D3 looks pretty hard but if you can do it why not. Try it and adjust
Thanks!
By lighten up you mean 5x5 is too much on yates rows? Hmm, maybe I can adjust at 3x6.
Unread 11-07-2018, 05:39 AM

Why is back volume so low? I count 6 sets, all horizontal. Anterior delts have 19 sets if you count chest pressing. This looks rough on shoulder health.

If you have 3 days per week, and want upper body focus, you can just do 2 upper and 1 lower workouts per week. Or you can do push/pull/legs, provided you have at least 10 sets per muscle.
Unread 11-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetachedLad View Post
Thanks!
By lighten up you mean 5x5 is too much on yates rows? Hmm, maybe I can adjust at 3x6.
Hell I was thinking like 8 to 15. After some honest to God deadlifts you wont wanna go heavy and tax your erectors.
Unread 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Hell I was thinking like 8 to 15. After some honest to God deadlifts you wont wanna go heavy and tax your erectors.
Good point! I adjusted the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aathar View Post
Why is back volume so low? I count 6 sets, all horizontal. Anterior delts have 19 sets if you count chest pressing. This looks rough on shoulder health.

If you have 3 days per week, and want upper body focus, you can just do 2 upper and 1 lower workouts per week. Or you can do push/pull/legs, provided you have at least 10 sets per muscle.
You can see this program as a 3-day PPL routine, with some leg exercises replaced with upper body movements. The goal is to hit the upper body 2x week, and 3-day PPL cannot do that, right?

You're right, I have a personal preference for horizontal back movements.
I adjusted the program as follows:

Mondays:
  • bench press 5x5, 3' rest
  • chest flies 2x10, 2'
  • lateral raise 2x10, 2' -> lats pulldown 2x10
  • arnold press 2x10, 2'
  • tricep extensions 2x10, 2'

Wednesdays:
  • deadlift 2x5, 3'
  • yates row 5x5, 3' -> 3x8-12
  • curls 3x10, 1.30'
  • shrugs 3x10, 1.30'

Fridays:
  • military press 4x6-8, 3'
  • squats 5x5, 3'
  • seated dumbbell overhead press 4x10, 2' -> removed
  • incline dumbbell bench press 4x10, 2'
  • seated rows 3x12, 2' -> 3x12
Unread 11-07-2018, 08:33 AM

I asked about back volume because it is really low for an intermediate. It's still low. If you want twice weekly frequency, then an upper/lower/upper would make more sense. The ppl would be volume matched, which the research suggests is not as bad as previously thought. There's still shoulder imbalances here, with tons of front delt, some rear delt, and almost no side delt. I suggest running the Generic bulk on the schedule I outlined. Use the version with shoulder work on the mainsite. I suggest hitting the maximum number of sets for legs, since they're hit only once a week. Keep the upper on the minimum until you can't progress.
Unread 11-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aathar View Post
I suggest running the Generic bulk on the schedule I outlined. Use the version with shoulder work on the mainsite.
I couldn't find the version you mentioned. Is it vaguely discussed here?

My problem with upper/lower split (including GBR) is that I want to deadlift and cannot fit it anywhere. If I deadlift Wednesdays, then Friday my back is too tired. If I deadlift on an upper body day (Mon or Fri), then I end up with something very similar to what I proposed.

I guess a compromise could be this, which still lacks deadlifts but ok:
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showp...6&postcount=27
Unread 11-07-2018, 03:09 PM

I suggest increasing the back volume a bit on what you're proposing. Add more vertical pulling on monday, probably 4 sets. If you are focusing on upper body, then deadlifts won't increase much. There's very little leg volume here for you to get much stronger. There are 5 sets of quad/glutes, and 2 sets of glute/hamstring.
Unread 11-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Administrator

I don't like much of anything about this. It's kind of a chest, back, legs/delts, what? Why does chest and tris get its own day but there lower body gets two exercises and delts is thrown in with squast.

There is no logic to any of this.