BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-15-2010, 07:50 AM

Default Do calories from Insoluble Fiber count?

Lyle, I read your article on Fiber and did a search on here but couldn't find the answer. A quick google search turns up some sites saying the calories don't count, but then there's others that think the calories from soluble fiber don't count either? Anyways, now that I am meticulously counting calories, I am looking at everything and running into a few foods with high fiber/calorie differences. The Fiber One cereal I like claims 60 cal's per serving after subtracting 14 grams of insoluble fiber. If the calories do count, that could be a big difference. Just curious.
Unread 03-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Hang on, your'e switching from soluble to insoluble in the post above, which are you asking about?
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM

I'm asking about calories in insoluble fiber. I was making mention that 99% of food labels I look at subtract the entire amount of fiber calories, even soluble.
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

To my knowledge, the body cannot derive calories from insoluble fiber in the way it can from soluble. My nutrition textbooks are currently boxed so I can't check this right now to be 100% sure.
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:51 AM

Great, thanks Lyle. I just wish they listed which type of fiber on all labels, some have the soluble/insoluble breakdown and others have "fiber". It's pretty deceiving, some of the bread I thought was 50 cals is actually 70 or so. It may not seem like much but it adds up.
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyjr View Post
It may not seem like much but it adds up.
I dare you to demonstrate a diet where the caloric difference in the fiber's solubility will amount to more than 100 calories.

If insoluble fiber is 0 cal/g, and soluble fiber is, say, 2 cal/g, then that would mean that you'd have to eat FIFTY GRAMS of that fiber subtype in a day for the answer to your question to start to matter.

I double dog dare you.

(but I must confess I also find the minute difference between the two types to be sorta interesting).
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Yup, and I think I made that point in the article: unless your fiber intake is massive, it's not worth worrying about. And as someone made the point of, given the small %age of calories that fiber carries out of the body, it's basically a wash at the end of the day. Since we're not doing clincical nutrition in the first place, the variance across the day will be way more than fiber will amount to.