BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-27-2017, 04:15 AM

Default Anecdotes, cutting during a two week deload

Quite apart from whether or not a method in which you cut for a couple weeks during your deload is a good idea... I'm interested in anecdotes of people who have tried it.

Doubtless there will be people doing the generic bulking routine, or something else, that have scheduled a deload/backcycle period of a couple weeks, and have tried to cut some fat during the period.

Many will be worried that this would result in muscle loss and keep well away from such an idea, but, has anybody among the current active posters tried anything similar?

I'm curious for your experiences, as I may just try it in a few weeks, contrary to all good advice and just as an experiment
Unread 12-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Depends on the definition of "deload". Once you decrease volume because you're cutting, you're actually deloading as well. There have been anecdotes of people who feel more powerful when starting the cut (first week). Myself included. When cutting for several weeks, energy and power do suffer.

Personally I can get away with one week of decent cutting and decreasing volume by ~50% and still feel recharged afterwards.
Unread 12-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Depends on the definition of "deload". Once you decrease volume because you're cutting, you're actually deloading as well. There have been anecdotes of people who feel more powerful when starting the cut (first week). Myself included. When cutting for several weeks, energy and power do suffer.

Personally I can get away with one week of decent cutting and decreasing volume by ~50% and still feel recharged afterwards.
Thanks for the answer.

I'm thinking of an intensity backcycle ala the GBR, with 80% normal load the first week, 90% the second.
Unread 12-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Thanks for the answer.

I'm thinking of an intensity backcycle ala the GBR, with 80% normal load the first week, 90% the second.
IMO keep intensity at the bar during diet.

I considered mini cuts during 2 weeks run-ups since I deload by reducing volume (for some reason I lose strength when I reduce intensity on deload).
Unread 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I think I've done this in the past and it's been fine.

But recently I tried it and it didn't work out well.

I had been cutting slowly for about 2 - 3 months, lost maybe 7 - 8 lbs. or so during that time, so not an aggressive cut. But I was having all sorts of aches and pains, and hadn't had a proper deload in months.

I had a week at "maintenance" coming up (maintenance is in quotes because I had some social events coming up and knew I wouldn't be losing weight that week). So I decided it was time to deload for two weeks, with most of it being diet days with the exception of the social events.

I deload like the GBR, 80 - 85% intensity during week 1, 90 - 95% during week 2. Unfortunately there was a noticeable drop in strength that has never returned, granted this is only on a few exercises. And at most I'd miss a rep on my top set, but the exercises in general were a real grind.

That being said, they were a bit of a grind before the deload as well, which is why I'm considering backing off intensity in general, and upping volume a bit.

Some of this may simply be a lack of fuel, as one of the exercises that had become difficult (hammer incline) was far easier the day after eating way above maintenance calories.
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I think I've done this in the past and it's been fine.

But recently I tried it and it didn't work out well.

I had been cutting slowly for about 2 - 3 months, lost maybe 7 - 8 lbs. or so during that time, so not an aggressive cut. But I was having all sorts of aches and pains, and hadn't had a proper deload in months.

I had a week at "maintenance" coming up (maintenance is in quotes because I had some social events coming up and knew I wouldn't be losing weight that week). So I decided it was time to deload for two weeks, with most of it being diet days with the exception of the social events.

I deload like the GBR, 80 - 85% intensity during week 1, 90 - 95% during week 2. Unfortunately there was a noticeable drop in strength that has never returned, granted this is only on a few exercises. And at most I'd miss a rep on my top set, but the exercises in general were a real grind.

That being said, they were a bit of a grind before the deload as well, which is why I'm considering backing off intensity in general, and upping volume a bit.

Some of this may simply be a lack of fuel, as one of the exercises that had become difficult (hammer incline) was far easier the day after eating way above maintenance calories.
What’s everyone’s take on deloading with the minimalist approach. 2 exercises, 2 sets RPT for large and one exercise 2sets RPT for small body parts once per week. Is it even necessary?
Unread 12-28-2017, 11:39 PM

i drop my calories slightly to take into account the reduciton in training volume, by 10% maybe, just to make sure i dont get fatter

but that wouldnt put me into a deficit because im eating at a surplus

Last edited by Hectic : 12-28-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Unread 12-29-2017, 06:01 AM

Lyle has said that keeping weights the same but cutting the number of reps in your sets (e.g. 4x8 becomes 4x4) is another way to do a backcycle.

But how about keeping weights and reps the same, but just cutting sets? 4x8 becomes 1x8. Does this also qualify as a backcycle?
Unread 12-29-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Lyle has said that keeping weights the same but cutting the number of reps in your sets (e.g. 4x8 becomes 4x4) is another way to do a backcycle.

But how about keeping weights and reps the same, but just cutting sets? 4x8 becomes 1x8. Does this also qualify as a backcycle?
Yes.

I do it, it's volume reduced deload, just as you would cut volume on diet.

There's plenty of ways to deload, you might want to read "Art of deload" by Eric Cressey.