BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Is dieting to achieve a look marketed by magazines worth losing your sex drive, friends and brain power? Honestly... there needs to be a limit.
Unread 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
marketed by magazines
I don't like sentiments like this that dismiss aesthetic goals. You can put in the conscious effort to pursue vanity without being it the result of "societal brainwashing of ideal images."

Unless you are unsustainably lean in contest shape, side effects when dieting are temporary. Diet too long, too hard, too fast, you exacerbate them. It's up to you to determine whether you are overdoing it, letting it interfere with your life, or if it's simply not worth it for you individually.

But don't discount the efforts and goals of those that do it.
Unread 06-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste Of Fire View Post
Well said Muki. That's what I meant with my (short) answer.
I disagree. I think many folks (including myself, at times) become overly obsessed with dieting and food to their own detriment. If friends are concerned, they may have good reason to be. To think that others are 'jealous' and trying to justify their own 'atrophy' is projection of your own troubled thought process. I believe that most people have good intentions.

All this is not to say that dieting should be discouraged, but I think that at a certain point, it is not worth the price of sex drive, friends and mental health.
Unread 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by penobscot View Post
I disagree. I think many folks (including myself, at times) become overly obsessed with dieting and food to their own detriment. If friends are concerned, they may have good reason to be. To think that others are 'jealous' and trying to justify their own 'atrophy' is projection of your own troubled thought process. I believe that most people have good intentions.

All this is not to say that dieting should be discouraged, but I think that at a certain point, it is not worth the price of sex drive, friends and mental health.
And all this is your opinion. Everyone needs to decide the bottom line for themselves.
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taste Of Fire View Post
Real life is happening from the inside, not the outside. Most of the time the outside is just wasting your time of you achieving what you really love.

So basicly: stop caring much about the outside, put your attention on your inside.
you realize you are on a fitness forum?

Really, it is impossible to isolate the outside from the inside.
Having an aesthetic body (besides direct health benefits) correlates a lot to the overall feeling of well beeing.

And a lot of it comes from a greater confidence and self esteem, which we build both from the "inside" (we praise ourselves for having done all the hard work and managing to reach our objective) and from our surroundings (others compliment us either directly or by means of subconsciously acepting us more).

There is no way of separating the two as we as humans beside our rational mind also have an emotional side and in addition to that we are also social creatures (in majority of the cases at least ) which rely and build our personality on our everyday social interactions with others

And to make things more simply - by improving our looks we improve our social value, in general and in terms of level of attractiveness to opposite sex. This is very much the case with women (being physically attractive is the most critical success factor for that matter weather we men admit it or not, and women know this, weather they admit it ot not)... with men situation is similar but to a lesser degree when it comes to looks, as our social value comes from more diversified sources like social status, power, financials, etc - that is the reason why some ugly old farts hook up with very beautiful women)

Anyway, some will praise us for our achievements, some will be ignorant, some will be jelaous. Thats life

Last edited by muki : 06-30-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah_k View Post
You can put in the conscious effort to pursue vanity without it being the result of "societal brainwashing of ideal images."
That true?
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:26 AM
johnritter

" If a narcissist lifts his shirt up in an empty forest, does it matter if he has abs? "

This is sadly one of the reasons i find sticking to dieting so difficult. Being obese is extremely isolating, both because of the way others not wanting to be seen with you and shunning social occasions due to low self esteem. I find myself often thinking whats the point in dieting to look good if you are (metaphorically) isolated in a forest and no one wants to be around you....

Last edited by johnritter : 06-30-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnritter View Post
This is sadly one of the reasons i find sticking to dieting so difficult. Being obese is extremely isolating, both because of the way others not wanting to be seen with you and shunning social occasions due to low self esteem. I find myself often thinking whats the point in dieting to look good if you are (metaphorically) isolated in a forest and no one wants to be around you....
Not sure what you're saying here. If the consequence of dieting down would be *less* isolation and better self esteem, then why would *current* isolation make it difficult to stick to dieting?
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnritter View Post
Being obese is extremely isolating, both because of the way others not wanting to be seen with you and shunning social occasions due to low self esteem. I find myself often thinking whats the point in dieting to look good if you are (metaphorically) isolated in a forest and no one wants to be around you....
This guy proves you wrong...

Unread 06-30-2014, 12:53 AM
johnritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Not sure what you're saying here. If the consequence of dieting down would be *less* isolation and better self esteem, then why would *current* isolation make it difficult to stick to dieting?
Ultimately this is the reason for continuing, however obviously dieting down is a very lengthy process and i go through peaks and dips in motivation...dunno if its just me...