BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Guide to Flexible Dieting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
moikanos88 moikanos88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 0
Default moving back to maintenance

Hey guys

As the title suggests, im planning to end my cut soon and move to maintenace
by using the diet break/maintenance method that Lyle suggests in the book.
but i have questions

1) I dont know what my activity rating is and dont want to mess it up.
at the moment im doing full body 3x week ,ICF 5x5 if you know it, im running almost 5k 4x week on a fast pace and im swimming for about 30 mins at moderate but not slow pace 7x week.
plus sometimes i play beach rackets for hours with my friends on the beach.
I dont know if im mod/very or extremely active

2) Every other expert i know suggests to slowly move back to maintenance but in the book says that u can just go back to what you should be eating to maintain your weight.

To conclude, i need to know what X to use for my calorie calculation and the difference of slow vs fast.

thx upfront and sorry for the length of the post and my terrible English
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:45 PM
BigPecsPeter BigPecsPeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moikanos88 View Post
1) I dont know what my activity rating is
Just multiply your weight in lbs by 16 and start there for your maintenance calories.

Quote:
2) Every other expert i know suggests to slowly move back to maintenance but in the book says that u can just go back to what you should be eating to maintain your weight.
What do you mean, "slowly move back to maintenance"? Then you'd technically still be dieting. The hell? What "experts"?!

Just eat your maintenance calories, like it says in the book. If it is actually your maintenance, then you're not going to put on any weight. Because it's your maintenance, right? You'll be in calorie balance.



Bizarrest thing I've ever read.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM
lylemcd's Avatar
lylemcd lylemcd is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22,641
Default

While it may have been more in Rapid Fat Loss handbook than GFD, I'm fairly sure I give both a slow and fast return to maintenance.

Most of this reversre dieting stuff is nonsense in my book: if the problems they are claiming are caused by low calories, how does taking 6 weeks to get back to maintenance fix them.

at most take 1-2 weeks to get back to maintenance. Or just do it over a few days and set calories at maintenance minus a little bit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 07-05-2014, 06:44 AM
NOAMattD's Avatar
NOAMattD NOAMattD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 392
Default

everything I've ever seen on reverse dieting suggests that its proponents believe that a slow return to maintenance like over 6 weeks or whatever will eliminate the adaptive component of metabolic slowdown. Which basically ends up either being nonsense or jusy pointless. Unless the slow pace is what it's going to take from the persons to maintain their new lower calorie level (clearly not your case, op) then it's just a waste of time.
__________________
Discaprine, come from WITHIN.

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:32 AM
lylemcd's Avatar
lylemcd lylemcd is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post
everything I've ever seen on reverse dieting suggests that its proponents believe that a slow return to maintenance like over 6 weeks or whatever will eliminate the adaptive component of metabolic slowdown. Which basically ends up either being nonsense or jusy pointless. Unless the slow pace is what it's going to take from the persons to maintain their new lower calorie level (clearly not your case, op) then it's just a waste of time.
There is some happy middle ground to be had IMO. For some people, moving immediatly back to maintenance seems to throw them off the wagon completely and food intake goes berserk. For those, taking 1-2 weeks to bring calories/food intake up may work better.

Taking 6 weeks is just prolonging the diet when the entire point of the break is to stop dieting. The arguments behind reverse dieting are as nonsensical as those behind metabolic damage. Shocking that they come from the same guy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 07-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Primalkid Primalkid is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
There is some happy middle ground to be had IMO. For some people, moving immediatly back to maintenance seems to throw them off the wagon completely and food intake goes berserk. For those, taking 1-2 weeks to bring calories/food intake up may work better.

Taking 6 weeks is just prolonging the diet when the entire point of the break is to stop dieting. The arguments behind reverse dieting are as nonsensical as those behind metabolic damage. Shocking that they come from the same guy.
Agreed, but would another advantage of slowly raising calories back up (not like over 6 weeks, but the middle ground you suggest) be that it would lower the chances of an overshoot? I suppose I'm asking how you know what your maintenance kcal are after dieting? Just a ballpark guess, or... ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 07-08-2014, 04:38 PM
BigPecsPeter BigPecsPeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,275
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
Agreed, but would another advantage of slowly raising calories back up (not like over 6 weeks, but the middle ground you suggest) be that it would lower the chances of an overshoot? I suppose I'm asking how you know what your maintenance kcal are after dieting? Just a ballpark guess, or... ?
I'd argue, if you just estimated maintenance at the lower end of the spectrum, i.e. 14 x lbs, even if actual maintenance was less, it simply isn't going to be considerably less. Certainly not so terribly wrong that significant fat gain occurs... So why not just start the maintenance guesstimate conservatively, then see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Primalkid Primalkid is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
I'd argue, if you just estimated maintenance at the lower end of the spectrum, i.e. 14 x lbs, even if actual maintenance was less, it simply isn't going to be considerably less. Certainly not so terribly wrong that significant fat gain occurs... So why not just start the maintenance guesstimate conservatively, then see what happens.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:40 PM
lylemcd's Avatar
lylemcd lylemcd is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 22,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
Agreed, but would another advantage of slowly raising calories back up (not like over 6 weeks, but the middle ground you suggest) be that it would lower the chances of an overshoot? I suppose I'm asking how you know what your maintenance kcal are after dieting? Just a ballpark guess, or... ?
In both of my books I recommend using estimated maintenance adjusted down by a little bit in the first place. To take this into account.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM
fyodor fyodor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 64
Default

This may be in the book already, but keep in mind that you're going to see some bloat/water gain as you up your carbs back up. Don't panic and assume that you're putting fat back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moikanos88 View Post
Hey guys

As the title suggests, im planning to end my cut soon and move to maintenace
by using the diet break/maintenance method that Lyle suggests in the book.
but i have questions

1) I dont know what my activity rating is and dont want to mess it up.
at the moment im doing full body 3x week ,ICF 5x5 if you know it, im running almost 5k 4x week on a fast pace and im swimming for about 30 mins at moderate but not slow pace 7x week.
plus sometimes i play beach rackets for hours with my friends on the beach.
I dont know if im mod/very or extremely active

2) Every other expert i know suggests to slowly move back to maintenance but in the book says that u can just go back to what you should be eating to maintain your weight.

To conclude, i need to know what X to use for my calorie calculation and the difference of slow vs fast.

thx upfront and sorry for the length of the post and my terrible English
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.