BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-08-2014, 10:57 AM

Default How to prepare for a DEXA scan

I have a DEXA scan early Friday morning (before breakfast).

Anything specific I should do beforehand? They told me to skip breakfast and that they would have me go to the bathroom before the scan.

Otherwise, I just came off of a Cat 1 RFL last Friday, so I have myself a week to rehydrate/replenish glycogen stores. Eating at maintenance this week.

Any other tips for those who have had them done?
Unread 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I have a DEXA scan early Friday morning (before breakfast).

Anything specific I should do beforehand? They told me to skip breakfast and that they would have me go to the bathroom before the scan.

Otherwise, I just came off of a Cat 1 RFL last Friday, so I have myself a week to rehydrate/replenish glycogen stores. Eating at maintenance this week.

Any other tips for those who have had them done?
Go for a brief 1/2 to 1 mile walk in the morning at a leisurely pace. It will help you wake up and "get your body going"
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
Go for a brief 1/2 to 1 mile walk in the morning at a leisurely pace. It will help you wake up and "get your body going"
Why?
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why?
More anecdotal on my part. For what it is worth, when I go on morning walks I return leaner and refreshed. I suppose the analogy would be it unclogs the drains and jumpstarts the body for running smoothly (ditch the extra water you may be holding and other crap I can't think of at the moment). Again, this is just me.
Unread 07-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primalkid View Post
More anecdotal on my part. For what it is worth, when I go on morning walks I return leaner and refreshed. I suppose the analogy would be it unclogs the drains and jumpstarts the body for running smoothly (ditch the extra water you may be holding and other crap I can't think of at the moment). Again, this is just me.
Gotcha. Doesn't dehydration throw these scans off too, since it's a 3 compartment model? Should I avoid drinking water that morning as well?
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Gotcha. Doesn't dehydration throw these scans off too, since it's a 3 compartment model? Should I avoid drinking water that morning as well?
Dehydration may play a role, but with a DXA scan I'm not sure how much. You are probably good to drink some water before to quench your thirst, just don't chug a gallon of water lol
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:48 AM

In regards to the water keep it normal intake as you would drink in the day up to that point.

If you go for followup dexa scans in the future then I would write down water intake for the past couple days leading up to this scan.

Just keep water intake as usual for all the scans and you'll never have to worry about water slanting the scan