BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Default Can people subtly sense if you're dieting?

i.e. high cortisol levels, lower energy levels, low serotonin/mild depression, etc?

It seems every time I diet hard to single digits I lose friends, romantic interests, etc. left and right.

I don't go around with Tupperware of chicken and broccoli or anything either. I have a few drinks and try hard to be social.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:07 PM

"friends"

Case closed.
Unread 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Your behavior may be changing due to it all, yes.
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM

Don't sound like very good friends to me.
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzpowahz View Post
Don't sound like very good friends to me.
Goes both ways..
Unread 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
i.e. high cortisol levels, lower energy levels, low serotonin/mild depression, etc?

It seems every time I diet hard to single digits I lose friends, romantic interests, etc. left and right.

I don't go around with Tupperware of chicken and broccoli or anything either. I have a few drinks and try hard to be social.
With regards to the opposite sex, I've wondered if certain sub conscious cues beyond body language plummet when in deficit. It'd make sense if they do as they probably fall victim to the falling leptin cascade that occurs when dieting and getting lean.

But almost certainly, almost everybody that I've seen that has dieted down significantly or is dieting does undergo some type of personality change... often it seemingly borders on narcissism which does decrease the overall likability of people/a person. It's actually comical sometimes to read people's facebook updates regarding nutrition and diet stuff if they have dieted down. It almost always is "I always do this" or "Don't focus on that" and so on.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
With regards to the opposite sex, I've wondered if certain sub conscious cues beyond body language plummet when in deficit. It'd make sense if they do as they probably fall victim to the falling leptin cascade that occurs when dieting and getting lean.
In some dieters I've known in person I've noticed they all seemed kinda dead inside, soulless, listless, not all the way there when they diet hard.

Maybe the opposite sex subtly picks up on that.

Edit: Any notice youtube fitness personalities become a lot less fun when dieting?

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.

Last edited by lostmyoldaccount : 06-26-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

But almost certainly, almost everybody that I've seen that has dieted down significantly or is dieting does undergo some type of personality change... often it seemingly borders on narcissism which does decrease the overall likability of people/a person. It's actually comical sometimes to read people's facebook updates regarding nutrition and diet stuff if they have dieted down. It almost always is "I always do this" or "Don't focus on that" and so on.
Does leanness generate narcissism or are narcissists the one who care about getting shrinkwrapped?
Unread 06-27-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
In some dieters I've known in person I've noticed they all seemed kinda dead inside, soulless, listless, not all the way there when they diet hard.

Maybe the opposite sex subtly picks up on that.

Edit: Any notice youtube fitness personalities become a lot less fun when dieting?
Yup, I think the thehodgetwins are A LOT more entertaining while bulking. On a diet their show seems a bit forced, still fun but not that genuine.

My dear diary log, Starting November 2015
UD2 log January-March 2014 ; Random updates
Unread 06-27-2014, 01:52 AM

For me the only thing that really changes in my behaviour is that I became more lethargic and relaxed. And this can even be a good thing in a way. Overall much better feeling than walking around with my stomach full during bulking... not to mention occassional upsets...

The problems arise if I try to go very low with carbs. Even at same kcal level there is a huge difference for me in regards how I feel, look and are able to sleep or focus in general.