BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Fixing a bad relationship with food, Slow cut from 20% to year round 10-12%

Hello

I am a male 29 year old.

I am 5 9, 200lbs at around 20% bodyfat.

I have been training for around 5 years. In writing this post I've had to reflect on my training history for the past half a decade, and i'm sad to admit I've lost a lot of time wheel spinning.

I've flipped flopped between programs, extreme cuts, periods of binge eating followed by heavily restrictive dieting. I think it's fair to say I have a bad relationship with food. I've managed a couple of times in my training career to get fairly lean, but this was always with the diet being the sole focus of my life. I have a very all or nothing attitude and tend to fall into the psychological trap of complete self sabotage any time I don't adhere to absolute perfection. The biggest irony of course is that this has resulted in me becoming fat, whilst expending significant emotional energy focusing on my diet.

Why do I think i'll be successful this time? I've identified the above as a persistent pattern in my life (not limited to health and fitness) and i'm starting to realise the tools actually necessary for success. After much wheel spinning in training, for the entirety of 2017 after realising I had my best gain on 5x5 training, I committed to doing nothing but the Texas method all year, without missing a session. I was a little overwhelmed and burnt out on training when I started this, but I saw serious gains this year (after a year or two of none) i realised the power of a simple program adhered to with absolute consistency. Prior to this, I'd fallen into a very pessimistic mindset propagated by a lot of fitness boards where i felt i would not progress without steroids and that the biggest limitation was genetics. The gains i made this year (with a very sub optimal diet) woke me up to the fact that I was in fact self sabotaging. I also got my test checked this year of which i was shocked to find sat at the higher end of average.

So what's next? I think the linear and very measurable nature of 5x5 made it very easy to plug away at for a whole year. Bodybuilding, I've found it a lot harder to stick to consistently, as every time I've done a program like this, I've just winged it in terms of sets/reps etc. I've actually gotten pretty strong this year, and i'm fairly happy with where my lifts are at, What I've never achieved however, is a consistent lean body and an aesthetic physique. I'd always would attribute this to genetics, but I'm starting to think I've never really been consistent in my diet or a hypertrophy focused routine. I'd like to spend 2018 focusing on consistently tracking my macros and higher volume training. I enjoy power lifting, but I want to be lean, half of me actually thinks I've deviated away from getting lean due to fear on a subconscious level i could never achieve the goal, so I just focused on strength instead. This year, I commit to this goal and this goal only with everything I have. I will employ all the tools advocated by Lyle (re feeds and diet breaks etc) and take my time over the course of the year to hit a body fat of around 10-12% (or as low as I can feasibly maintain whilst living a balanced life). I want to get right back to good habits every time I slip up, I don't want to lose weeks at a time being completely off the wagon.

Lifts:

bench
120kg/265lbs x 1
110kg/242lbs x 5

deadlift
170kg/375lbs x 10
215kg/473lbs x 1

Squat (working on form these days not going to heavy)
140kg/308lbs x 5

I'm starting to feel a few tweaks after a full year of Squat/Bench/Dead so i'm looking forward to some higher rep stuff.

Routine : Alberto Nunez intermediate routine

Upper (Light)

Incline DB 4-6 x 6-10
Horizontal Row 2-3 x 6-10
OHP 2-3 x 6-10
Horizontal Row 2-3 x 12-15
Flies 2-3 x1 2-15
Tricep Extension 2-3 x 12-15
Bicep Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Lower (Heavy)

Squat 3-5 x 3-5
Deadlift 3-5 x 3-5
Leg Curl 2-3 x 6-10
Calf Raise 4-6 x 6-10

Upper (Heavy)

Bench Press 3-5 x 3-5
Horizontal Row 3-5 x 3-5
Chest Press 2-3 x 6-8
Vertical Row 3-3 x 8-12
Lateral Raises 2-3 x 8-12

Lower (Light)

Squat 4-6 x 8-12
Single Leg Work 2-3 x 6-10
Calf Raise 4-6 x 6-10
Leg Press 2-3 x 12-15
Calf Raise 2-3 x 6-10
Leg Extension 2-3 x 12-15
Leg Curl 2-3 x 12-15

Upper (Light) - Weak body part training day example

Abs and arms, TBD

Macros and food for the next 5 days (Plus veg which i haven't tracked)

Cal C F P Sodium Sugar
Myprotein - Impact Whey Unflavoured, 50 g 208 3 4 42 0 0
Turbana - Banana, 1 medium banana 105 27 0 1 0 14
chicken breast - Fillets, 300 g 348 0 10 65 0 0
Wholewheat fusilli, 100 gram cooked 157 30 1 5 0 2
Smoked Bacon Medallions, 6 medallions 213 0 8 36 960 0
French Style Dressing, 8 tbsp 88 8 0 0 800 5
Intense Spicy Chilli sauce, 500 g 190 34 1 8 1,415 33
5% Fat Steak Mince, 300 g 372 0 13 62 0 0
Spaghetti., 150 g cooked 240 49 1 8 0 2
Coconut, 1 tbs 120 0 14 0 0 0

totals 2,041 151 52 227 3,175 56
Unread 12-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Day one:

morning weight 195.25lbs (I've been weighing at night before today, will continue to weight on waking up)

Gym Session

Was a lot harder than I expected, I realised that my work capacity is quite low, surprised how low I had to drop the weights

Incline DB with pause
32kg 4 x 8 (had to rest pause the last set though)
28kg 2 x 8

Pendlay row
60kg 3 x 8

OHP
40kg 3 x 8 (shocked how low this was after the 6x8 above)

Horizontal row machine
55kg 3 x 8

Flys
6-8kg 3 x 12 (can't remember which weight, Just getting the form down, more of a stretch than anything. Not sure whether to sub this for cable crossovers, didn't really like how it felt)

Seated incline curls
8kg 3 x 12

Rope pull downs
50kg 3 x 12

Pretty humbling workout. Tried to keep things moving quickly with short rests, was panting by the end.

Diet
Was absolutely stuffed all day, subbed the pasta and mince for 2 tubs of cottage cheese. Acclimatising to higher protein consumption.
Unread 12-20-2017, 02:04 AM

Good luck with your plan for 2018 and beyond.

Minor note: based on your height, your lifts may even be in the advanced realm. I'm not sure about your genetic makeup, limb lengths, etc. but it's something to consider when you feel that recovery becomes an issue at some point.
Unread 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM

Interesting, especially how you say you are an absolutist when it comes to Food, as I have also found that to be a trap I fall into sometimes. Interested how you approach this. Flexibility is certainly good but I have found that weighing and tracking everything often Leads to exactly the contrary, OCD like behavior and unhealthy relationship with Food (perceiving food as pure macros and calories and nothing more).
Unread 12-20-2017, 03:51 PM

@Determinism

Thank you! Will def give it my best shot.

And re recovery; noted thanks. It's something i'm trying to be wary of. I feel like I have a much better sense of how i recover with big rests and 5x5, whereas how I've been training in the past few days is a bit of an unknown for me. I'll keep logging and see how i feel

@Funklord

Hey man, thanks for the comment. Yeah, it's a difficult one, i'm still not 100% what the correct answer is. At the moment i'm trying to do all food prep at the beginning of the week, trying to make the meals tasty and calories reasonable. I hope that this means i'm OCD on Sunday night only and once prep is done, i'm just "grab and go" during the week.

For me the real struggle is a day where I give in to temptation (due to normal life circumstances, ie Xmas or new year) escalating to packets of doughnuts, multiple large chocolate bars, xtra large cheese pizzas over the course of a few hours followed by "Rapid Fat loss" for 3 days only to repeat the cycle.

I've given this a bit of thought, and i'm going to try to take the approach of making the best choice given the circumstances... if I want dessert then choose a lighter one... if I need some extra food then make a larger portion that night... if i want alcohol then one shot of vodka with a calorie free mixer. My previous mindset was always "well i'm off the diet now so let's cram as much sh*t down my throat as i can in the next few hours". Over the week though i'm going to shoot for a ballpark calorie/macro break down.

Funnily enough... as weird as it sounds I feel like the first "challenge" for me, will be the first day i cheat. I'd be better off "falling off" once a month and getting straight back on, than dieting perfectly for 6 months only to completely throw it all away binging for weeks on end.

Day 2 Weight 194.125lbs

Legs (Accidentally did the volume day today)

Squat 6 x 8
90kg, this was actually quite easy, very quick turnarounds.
lunges 3 x 8
first set 20kg then balance made me reduce to 14kg
Calf Raise 6 x 8
60kg this was low as i have really bad ankle mobility that i'm trying to work on.
Leg Press 3 x 12
100kg
Calf Raise 3 x 12
60kg (see above)
Leg Extension 3 x 12
50kg
Leg Curl 3 x 12
2 sets of 50kg, 1 of 45kg

i seem to find it hard to find weights that don't make it feel like a "circuit" but aren't so heavy that i'm continually failing with another 10 exercises to go.... I notice if i go to failure on any exercise i'm absolutely done for the rest of the session

Diet
Same a yesterday, subbed mince and pasta for cottage cheese. Calories may actually be slightly to low at the moment, but i weirdly have had quite a low appetite in the past few days.
Unread 12-21-2017, 06:15 PM

Weight 193.25

Not sure if my calories are too aggressive.

Today I had a Christmas meal with colleagues. Ordered a sirloin steak salad, subbed the cottage cheese for this. Early days but a small good decision when out in restaurant.

Was incredibly sore today, due to yesterdays workout

Upper body heavy

Bench Press
107.5kg 1x5 (really tough, had to rest pause it. I'm not too worried as I think the fall off is due to extreme soreness from previous sessions, hopefully i'll adapt)

100kg 4x5

chin ups 5x5

chest press 3 x 8 80kg

horizontal row 3 x 8 60kg

lateral raise 3 x 12 10kg
Unread 12-22-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel_spinner View Post
chest press 3 x 8 80kg
Out of curiosity, what's a chest press?

Actually, I know what a chest press is, but it has a lot of implementations (barbell, dumbbell, robes, machine, smith, etc.).
Unread 12-22-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Out of curiosity, what's a chest press?

Actually, I know what a chest press is, but it has a lot of implementations (barbell, dumbbell, robes, machine, smith, etc.).
Exactly. A chest press is a press which utilizes your chest. In other words, a breast push. Lots of guys say breast push, nowadays. Everyone's always laying down, pushing breasts - pushing those breasts to the limit - pressing their chests. Squeezing their tits. Men milking other men. It's crazy.
Unread 12-22-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Exactly. A chest press is a press which utilizes your chest. In other words, a breast push. Lots of guys say breast push, nowadays. Everyone's always laying down, pushing breasts - pushing those breasts to the limit - pressing their chests. Squeezing their tits. Men milking other men. It's crazy.
^^ LOL! Thanks for the laugh this morning. Best of luck on your journey!
Unread 12-23-2017, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Well, you've actually managed to explain the term "nipple cripple".