BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Default Hardest-learned lesson of 2016?

This community has become a mental frame of reference in my diet & fitness endeavors, and for that I am grateful. I am much farther along than I otherwise would have been if I had just had my own mental game to work with. Happy New Year, fitness buddies!

What was your hardest-learned lesson last year?
Unread 01-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Happy New Year to you too, buddy.

I started to be active on this forum in order to share some stuff I collected trough my fitness journey. I like it, but still miss old, mean forums which were knowledge powerhouse and where I learned everything I know. I was just a lurker there tho. Good ol' times.

Hardest learned lesson was neglecting my mental health and my own peace. Working hard at everything, college, job, physique, but avoiding my anxiety problems and impulsivness (even tho I'm sweetest guy ever, I swear). So my focus for 2017. would for sure be mental health, low dose meds and some psychotherapy and I will be good to go. Also, as our parents used to say us all the time, world is nasty and mean place full of bad people. As 23 year old, I felt it on my skin too. Corporative world is a hell, but when competing, I'm like a pitbull on crack, so come at me, you business locos, lol

Anyways, sorry for big rant, but there's something relieving in sharing some deep interpersonal problems with bunch of anonymous fitness friends on Internet.

Too bad forums are dying, those FB groups sucks. I propose a name for us active members: Bodyrecomp Crew. Does that sound too soft or we need something more bad as$?
Unread 01-01-2017, 01:14 PM

In a way, I like our small community here.

What I learned in 2016? Don't make quick life decisions without a solid plan..In 2016 I left the military pretty disgruntled for various reasons. I was honorably discharged and I held a Bachelor's Degree so I figured I would find a job right afterwards. Not so! I was unemployed for a month...did an internship that led nowhere...and than I became unemployed for the rest of the year. It was financially tough for me and my family this year but I finished off the year with gaining full-time employment. I start my new career end of January.
Unread 01-01-2017, 06:56 PM

Don't be lazy, take shortcuts, neglect finances, not work hard, etc.

It all catches up to you many years later when you're older and more tired.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 01-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Something I learned is the meaning of discipline. I always viewed it as something you just had. Like a skill set. People would often tell me I'm very disciplined with my diet. Sure, I get that done, but other goals I fail - miserably. I literally have stuff on my New Year goals list that has been on there for the last few years.

I found that discipline breaks down into two components: how bad do you want it and what are you willing to trade for it?

All the goals I've failed fall into one of those categories. I find a lot of my goals I really don't want badly enough. They would be nice, but they're just not up my alley. Other times I'm just not willing to trade enough. Often it is putting my precious little ego out there for critical beat downs. I know others struggle to give up junk food.

Now when I think of goals, I think of how much I really want it and how much I'm willing to trade to get it.
Unread 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Now what was your best decision or favorite event in 2016?

My hardest-learned lesson was that alcohol/weed actually ARE bad for me. That started a chain reaction of great decisions. I finished the end of the year strong. Made some money, started taking a college class for fun, made more than 5 real friends and started a meetup, paid off credit cards and settled medical bills. All the while improved my appearance and health. I'm building an awesome life!

I hope this year I start work that I love to do & make lots of money. I'm also going to reach 10% bf and take up weight lifting for the first time.

Everything I'm doing now I would have considered too difficult in previous years.

Any personal goals for 2017?
Unread 01-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Improving quality of life, which went from 100 to 0 at one point. I let myself get devoured by ambition and it eventually fired back. Finishing college, working in bank, working so hard in gym, playing with drugs/steroids, neglecting social life. Recipe for mental breakdown. So, getting back on track and balancing things in my life better. I'm still young and dumb, but it's gonna be good.
Unread 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

I remember learning the difference between shiites and sunnis, but I forgot.
Unread 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM

Hardest learned lesson is that I have a hard time relating to 50% of the population in my country. Very depressing.
Unread 01-03-2017, 08:54 PM

I've learned that Marcus Aurelius hit the nail on the head with many observations.