BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Do I need to do a muscle endurance microcycle?

I trained regularly for more than 15 years until I stopped training altogether in 2012. Im almost 40.

I re-started training this August and while Im progressing fine doing fullbody 3X with 2 sets of 8-12 for each body part, my body seems to be asking for more volume and lighter weights for a while.

I look better than a couple of months ago but Im starting to feel heavy and sluggish. Im 2-3 pounds heavier but its just fuller muscles/water weight.

Would it be advisable to do some weeks of muscle endurance training? Will a couple of sets a week with the weights Im currently using maintain the strength and adaptations I regained?
Unread 11-23-2017, 01:53 AM

Depends on your goal. Describe exactly what your goals are so people can give advice.

Also, can you clarify what this statement means: "my body seems to be asking for more volume and lighter weights for a while".

Finally, how can you feel heavy by a weight increase of only 2 pounds? It's not that much and the whole point of weight training is to increase LBM (well, at least for 99.9% of the lifters).
Unread 11-23-2017, 09:11 AM

I also found some of the statements unclear, like the part about feeling heavy and sluggish. What do you mean?

You'd probably be better off adding cardio (if you're not doing any) long before worrying about something like a muscle endurance cycle.
Unread 11-26-2017, 12:18 AM

If you want to do higher reps for a bit just use a 1rm calculator to work out the equivalent reps you need for a lighter weight
Unread 11-26-2017, 08:21 PM

My goal is to get back in shape after being sedentary for some years.

My current routine is:

M-F
Incline Dumbbell press 2x10-12
Lat pulldown 2x10-12
Cable row 2x10-12
Dumbbell upright row 2x10-12
Dumbbell curl 2x10-12
Dumbbell triceps extension 2x10-12
Weighted lunges 2x10-12
Leg curl 2x10-12
Push-Ups 2xmax
Reverse crunches 2xmax
Crunches 2xmax

W
Same as M-F but just one set + calves.
20" cardio.

I look better than before but I feel as detrained as when I started.

I didnt try big compounds like bench presses and squats yet due to some elbow/knee conditions but I guess now I could.
Unread 11-30-2017, 01:46 PM

I revised my situation and Ive to accept that Im lacking in all these aspects and probably in the following order:

1-conditioning
2-strength
3-mobility
4-body composition

With my former routine I gained some muscle tone (mostly pump) and strength but Im still not feeling well. My goal is to have some general strength and conditioning. I don't want to gain weight, in fact I probably need to get rid of 8 or so pounds.

I don't know where to start. I just know how to train for size, which is what I did when I was younger.
Unread 12-01-2017, 01:19 AM

Go on a decent strength program and add-in conditioning work. Strength/hypertrophy is much harder to obtain than conditioning. Especially after your newbie phase. If the program isn't designed to progress, your strength/hypertrophy/recomp goals will not be met. So I would do the following in order of priority:
1) Decent strength program.
2) Add in conditioning work.
3) Take care of your diet (i.e. a surplus won't help your recomp).
4) Optionally, add in cardio or some HIIT sessions. Don't let it interfere too much with your strength program.
Unread 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielPG View Post
I revised my situation and Ive to accept that Im lacking in all these aspects and probably in the following order:

1-conditioning
2-strength
3-mobility
4-body composition

With my former routine I gained some muscle tone (mostly pump) and strength but Im still not feeling well. My goal is to have some general strength and conditioning. I don't want to gain weight, in fact I probably need to get rid of 8 or so pounds.

I don't know where to start. I just know how to train for size, which is what I did when I was younger.
The place to start is probably with mindset, scheduling, etc. You have to commit to changing things and making this a part of your life. Schedule three exercise sessions a week at the bare minimum. More than this is usually preferable but I do understand sometimes life doesn't cooperate.

Start by doing at least two and perhaps three weight workouts a week. Here again, sometimes you can do more but I wouldn't see the point to doing more than three per week with where you're at now. Check the main site on beginner training or if you're happy with what you're doing, stick with that. Just find something sensible.

To this, add three days a week of cardio. This is your basic boring low intensity cardiac output or extensive endurance or whatever you want to call it. If you're really out of shape then this could start as just leisurely walking but as you get in shape you'll have to do something more intensive. Find some kind of cardio to do whether it be biking, swimming, elliptical, indoor or outdoor, whatever works for you.

Do this three times a week for at least 20-30 minutes, preferably away from the weight workout but if you have to sometimes combine the two for scheduling purposes, that is fine. Maybe do 1-2x/week after a weight workout and 1-2x/week on a separate day. If you need to make the most of your time on the separate days then do some stretching or mobility or whatever afterward.

You can certainly work to doing more than the above, they are minimums after all, but then time and recovery issues might come into play and that can't possibly be addressed in one post.

Do all of the above and make progress at it, clean up your diet (eat sufficient protein, stop drinking soda, etc.) and body composition improvements should naturally follow.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 12-07-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Unread 12-08-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
The place to start is probably with mindset, scheduling, etc.
No, the place to start is with breathing. Just kidding. Your point is valid and good to think about.