BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-07-2018, 01:32 AM

Smile Hormone Replacement and Muscle Gain

Hey everyone

Very new here but found Body Composition by Googling "can I gain muscle and lose body fat being menopausal and not on HRT" From what I have read Lyle certainly knows his stuff and will continue to keep reading up as much as I can.

I am going to see my GP and get blood tests done as I also have Hashimoto's disease (under active thyroid) which I am medication for, but needs to be checked at least 2-3 times a year.

But would like any opinions any advice ? I do weight train 5 days a week, 1600 calories and 1500 on rest days. Bodyfat sitting at about 18-19% would like to get this down and gain more muscle but wondering whether my menopausal state which unfortunately started aged 38 and lack of oestrogen means getting to these goals would be slowing me down.

Thank you for any feedback.

Simone

Last edited by Simmy72 : 01-07-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Unread 01-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Um, 18-19% bodyfat post menopausal? I doubt it. That is VERY lean for a woman.

How much lower do you think this should go? The answer is not very.

I'm moving this to the proper forum.
Unread 01-08-2018, 01:27 AM

Did you use a scale to conclude that you're 18-19% BF? If so, it is off by a mile.
Unread 01-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Yeah have bodyfat scales used at the gym current weight is between 56-57kg ...why do you say its off ???
Unread 01-08-2018, 06:12 PM

So two responses saying that that is not possible, but no real answer as to why ?? Because Im post menopausal and its not possible ? or because Im not on HRT and that is why its not possible ???? Really like some scientific answer to my original post, without hormone replacement, does that mean I will have difficulty gaining muscle ?
Unread 01-08-2018, 06:22 PM

Do you look like you could do a bikini photoshoot tomorrow? If yes then 18 sounds realistic
Unread 01-08-2018, 06:25 PM

Well Im pretty critical of myself but Im not saying maybe the scales are wrong, just sounds like the others are saying being menopausal that that doesn't seem doable, im reluctant to go on HRT but if I know it will help gain more muscle due to probable hormone imbalance then Id probably start taking it, just the risk of breast cancer after long period is just worrying
Unread 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Ok so thats a definite no in far too many words.
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:05 PM

Well I came on here looking for answers, was a pretty simple question that didn't get answered, but instead I read smart arse condescending replies.
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy72 View Post
Well I came on here looking for answers, was a pretty simple question that didn't get answered, but instead I read smart arse condescending replies.
Id recommend you post some pictures of yourself and go from there. I have a feeling you are higher than 18%. That is rather lean for a woman and pretty much a 6 pack.

I personally would look into HRT at post menopausal but thats me. I would recommend you speak with your doctor as this is really something for them.

Also you havent really posted anything to help with. Post your diet macros or workout routine and we can critique but as of now. I would bet you also need a diet break.