BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-05-2016, 09:28 AM

Default Want to get back to my basic training weight!

I'll keep it short and I'll try to update weekly at the most. At 6'0, 25 years old, and 198.2 pounds I'm not an obese person but I am a little chunky and would like to get slimmed down. Also I will mention I'm going off the scale with no clothes as of this morning (day after July 4th) so I'm a little bloated from that. I'm probably more like 196 pounds.

I used to weight lift frequently while in the military but I ride a desk now and I am not in the military (nor have I lifted weights in over 6 months). I served 7 years and my goal is to get back to my weight when I finished basic training in the Air Force at 169.0 pounds. This was me at my leanest.

I decided to use a very simple plan to start off with from one of the articles on the main site which basically is: Set the Calories, Set the Protein Intake, Set Fat Intake, + everything else depends.

This is what I came up with:

Calories: 1587
Protein: 159
Fat: 65
Carbs: 91

I lead a VERY sedentary lifestyle during the week (wake up, 2 hour commute to work, sit in desk all day, 2 hour commute back, eat, bed) so I set calories at 8 cal/lb.

On the days I do manage to workout, which lately is just a bit of jogging and some sprints in the backyard with some push-ups/planks, I will add in a protein shake and bump it up to 180 protein.

So lets begin.

Week 0: 198.2

Last edited by davidjr74 : 07-05-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Unread 07-11-2016, 07:53 AM

Interestingly enough, I manged to clock in the same exact weigh-in today. I also started working out again. Yesterday I did 6 sprints with 10 bodyweight squats in-between them. Burned some calories and legs are sore. Not a bad workout. I have no access to weights atm so I will be doing calistenics. Weigh-ins will be on Sunday mornings.

Week 0: 198.2 lbs
Week 1: 198.2 lbs
Unread 07-13-2016, 01:20 PM

Donated blood today to American Red Cross and was wondering if this was true at all:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-dona...-health-246379

"People burn approximately 650 calories per donation of one pint of blood, according to the University of California, San Diego"

I'm sure you're not actually burning it but perhaps it cost energy to replenish the blood loss.
Unread 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Week 2: 198.0 lbs

Worked out once last week. This week (includes Sunday) my goal is to get 2 workouts in. I'm still not using weights but I have done some good research on using bodyweight for progressive overload training...also this is the first week where I grocery shopped specifically for dieting purposes with my spouse so this week should go more smoothly diet wise. I'm experimenting with legumes, lentils, and now soybeans I just ordered to get my protein requirements in cheaper (since my personal budget is tight).
Unread 07-20-2016, 07:55 PM

-13 pound bag of Soybeans came in. This should definitely aid in my protein targets. Best of all they are cheap.

-started doing some walking during lunch break at work.
Unread 07-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Banned

Question 1:
Did you eat 1587kcal for 2+ weeks now? If so, a 0.2 pound drop isn't very much. I would expect 4+ pound loss about now. Holding any water?

Question 2:
Wouldn't it be better to go to the gym for a few full-body workouts instead of trying to hack your workouts based on body-weight exercises?

Remark:
Cheap protein is not always good protein. In general, it's best to take the bulk of your protein from animal sources.

It's a long journey so it's nice to see that you're persistent. I'm curious about your weigh-in next week.
Unread 07-21-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semipartial View Post
Question 1:
Did you eat 1587kcal for 2+ weeks now? If so, a 0.2 pound drop isn't very much. I would expect 4+ pound loss about now. Holding any water?

Question 2:
Wouldn't it be better to go to the gym for a few full-body workouts instead of trying to hack your workouts based on body-weight exercises?

Remark:
Cheap protein is not always good protein. In general, it's best to take the bulk of your protein from animal sources.

It's a long journey so it's nice to see that you're persistent. I'm curious about your weigh-in next week.
No, I have not been tracking my calories which would explain why I have maintained 198 pounds. I have been eye balling things and making estimations in my head but I believe I'm overestimating a lot of my food intake.

Also, I agree with question number 2; however, I simply don't have the budget for a gym membership which also explains why I'm looking to go cheap as I can with my protein sources. I believe heavy lifting is superior to bodyweight exercises but I do believe that a well thought out bodyweight program can work...to an extent.

I hope to not disappoint you for next week's weigh-in so thanks for posting so I can maintain accountability.
Unread 07-21-2016, 06:12 PM

This is where I'm starting at. I took this a few weeks ago I believe. I think if I'm gonna start taking this more serious I should remind myself of what I want to change.

Unread 07-22-2016, 03:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjr74 View Post
I hope to not disappoint you for next week's weigh-in so thanks for posting so I can maintain accountability.
You won't disappoint me. I'm glad that my response may trigger you to adjust a few things.
Unread 07-25-2016, 07:44 AM

Week 2: 198.0 lbs
Week 3: 198.3 lbs

Its crazy how good I am at maintaining my weight lol.

Okay, in all seriousness, I can no longer guesstimate my food intake. As of yesterday, I decided to track my calories and macros OCD style for the next few weeks to really dial down what I need to do. Yesterday I hit just under 2000 calories; not too bad.

Once I get my diet dialed down, I'll post it up here. For now its going to look something like this:

Breakfast: 2 cups of milk, whey protein, cottage cheese, in a shake before work. I wanted to gag hard after cottage cheese...internet people said this was a good idea to mix in a shake lol; I will replace this with 2 boiled eggs in the morning. This makes 51 grams of protein at about 451 calories.

Lunch: 1 cup of roasted soybeans made the night before. This is a easy and cheap lunch for me to bring into work. This makes 68 grams of protein at about 830 calories. I already have 18 cups of soybeans pre-cooked for the week;they just need to be roasted the night before.

Dinner: By dinner, I will have 319 calories left (on a 1600 calorie diet) or 719 calories left (on a 2000 calorie diet). Both caloric levels will result in weight loss. I want to leave dinner a little flexible since my wife cooks for dinner most days of the week. By dinner, I also have already consumed 119 grams of protein, so I will need 41 grams left. All it takes is to have some lean meat and veggies.

As for working out, I am going to start utilizing the gym at work. Last week I walked 3 times for lunch so this is the first week I can walk every single day. I recently discovered that I can get a discount for being an intern. It will cost, but I cut off my netflix account and changed to a cheaper phone plan...Priority is key and bodyweight exercises won't cut it forever. I still would like to get a pull-up bar installed in my house at some point and get some TRX cables.