BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-10-2017, 06:30 AM

Default Trying to get back into shape, after some bad life choices.

I was somewhat lean and I use to hit the gym often but some things happend in life, like losing some close family members, having issues at my educational platform, and breaking up with my longtime girlfriend, combined all this stuff made my weight shoot up over the past 2 years or so, and I never really paid attention, I mean I knew I was getting fat but I was trying to ignore it. I have a decent understanding of nutrition and my own body, but I have been running into a few issues lately, so first of all I am currently on 1,500 calories daily, which is CONSIDERABLY low, but I only intend to do this for 3 months before switching up to something more sustainable, in terms of actually sticking to 1,500 calories I always found it easy, even when I was doing cuts before I became overweight, it's now understandably a bit more difficult as I have become use to stuffing my face, but I managed to conquer my demons in that regard, and I no longer use food as an outlet, so here...is where my issue begins I have been on this cut for almost three weeks, and I haven't seen much change expect for lets say about a pound of fat, then again it could just be excess water retention and I could be a moron, but I would still rather get some other opinions involved.

It may just be because I am impatient in terms of going back into a healthy lifestyle, but I expected at least a kilogram in those 3 weeks considering the deficit, I might just be thinking like a total twat, so feel free to to call me out on it. I have had some people comment about starvation mode and how my metabolism has dropped to functioning at 1,500 calories, I am only doing this for 3 months AND even if I did it for a more extended period of time I would still not drop to a TDEE or a BMR of 1,500 the most harm I would do is slightly slow down my metabolism but an somewhat negligible amount, or am I wrong in this reasonable assumption that my body doesn't have the functionality of a potato.

H- 6'1
W- 123.2 kg (use to be around 95)
Age - 23

Calories - 1,500
Protein - 169g
Carbs - 94g
Fat - 50g

Routine -
** I currently have a desk job, so when I am not working out, I am literally on my I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. on a chair, but I workout daily so I am not sure if that at least counteracts that. **
40 minutes - 5x5 lifts
30 minutes - HIT Cardio on an incline

Supplements -
omega 3-fish oil
multivitamin.

I don't really believe in the 100s of fat burning supplements on the market, but omega 3 is just useful in general for health reasons, and the multivitamin helps here and there, so I don't really supplement with anything besides those two things.
Unread 12-28-2017, 10:44 AM

I can't comment on this too much but the Rapid Fat Loss book by Lyle is quite useful if you are intent on doing the very low calorie path.

My only comment is if you do go for this path is learn how to use herbs and spices, find good low calorie things you like (for me low fat greek yogurt for easy protein, or some salsa to add to add flavour to chicken, etc).

It can be torturous experience if you don't figure out how to make stuff taste nice. PS. my experience is frying with a few sprays of 1 cal cooking oil chicken>>>>grilled chicken.

Regarding your weight loss. If you have been correctly tracking calories (a lot of people don't) and they've come out to 1500 calories I wouldn't stress too much about it only being a pound weight loss. I guarantee you WILL have lost fat and the fact your not seeing it will be due to water retention/higher cortisol levels or some other sorcery. Using a maintenance calorie calculator you daily requirements to maintain your weight is about 3000 calories so if you did 1500 calories for the last three weeks that is a huge deficit of minus 1500 per day.

Make sure you are tracking accurately.
If you have been, don't stress about the actual scale weight.

Even if you haven't been tracking accurately it would be hard to overcount enough to negate the deficit you have.

No, your metabolism won't be functioning at 1500 calories. https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fa...c-damage.html/

Read Rapid Fat Loss and Guide to Flexible Dieting for a lot of help as they are excellent. Flexible dieting is MUCH, MUCH easier psychologically and physically than more restrictive ones in my own anecdotal experience (other folks may be different).

Last edited by jimike : 12-28-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Unread 12-30-2017, 07:37 AM

Doing 5x5 and high intensity cardio every day is just way too much (if I'm reading this right), especially on such low calories. Find a more sensible exercise program.

Do this, and also make every effort to make sure you're not underreporting calories. It's a common occurrence even among people who swear they are tracking accurately. Estimated serving sizes are often inaccurate, they don't account for condiments in their food or mixers in drinks, etc. If you've dieted in the past then you probably know the drill on this stuff, just putting it out there just in case.

Also intense exercise doesn't really counteract sedentary lifestyle. In an ideal world, you would stand, walk, and generally move around more. In addition to this, you would also have your dedicated sessions (e.g. weights, cardio) where you actually drive up your fitness levels.