BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Home Gym Recommendations?

Hi all!
I am a 120lb female who has been lifting consistently for 18 months. I have collected all the usual free-weight equipment (standard plates, bench, squat racks, tower etc) and am pleased with my progress.

However I am starting to see that operating on the edge of my abilitites, now I have gained strength, is an accident waiting to happen. Particularly with regard to pressing movements and squatting. Even doing weighted crunches on the ball with a 25Kg weight over my head isn't feeling like the safest thing! Also I am finding it hard to get the sort of leg devt in my quads and hams I want with 'safe' squatting.

Sometimes it all takes a lot of time too! Doing Lyle's standing/sitting calf routine with a rucksack full of weights and a 140Kg pile of plates on my knees just takes ages to set-up!

I have (a bit reluctantly) come to the view that I need to invest in a home/multi-gym bit of equipment. For various lifestyle reasons it is much better for me to work out at home.

I am thinking of getting a cheapish smiths plus machine ( this one - [url="http://www.purefitnessandsports.co.uk/strength-training/smith-machine-packages/marcy-diamond-elite-md9010-smith-machine-150kg-plate-set-p-1415.html"]. I know the reviews aren't fab but it seems to have enough potential to keep me happy for a couple of years and will deal with the safety issues for pressing and squats.

I guess a lot of you have faced these sort of choices - or done a lot of window-shopping - and I would be grateful for any views or experience you have in choosing kit for a home-gym type set-up. I can leave it all set-up in a room.

Thanks in advance.
Adrienne
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:27 PM

Are you only doing squats for quad development or have you been incorporating other moves as well (ex. split squats, step ups)? Same goes for your abs...it sounds like you have enough equipment for your goals.
Unread 10-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Hi
Quads mainly. I do squats, hack squats and split squats. There was a discussion forum which talked about dropping the weight a bit and increasing the reps. Trying that for this cycle. But I think I don't have the best body-shape for this exercise. But my deadlift is fab!

It isn't an equipment issue really. For example - I do dumbell presses as I find working with a bar poops my elbows. My floor is really suffering when I drop them - usually after I have put the weight-up, getting them up in the first place. It is only a matter of time before I drop one on my head!
A
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM

what about a power rack with safety pins for bench press. Maybe a low/high pulley for rows (unless you can do chins)

as far as abs, if you do decide to go with the pulley you could do cable crunches.
Unread 11-15-2010, 02:35 AM

What do you consider more safe about a smith machine than a sturdy power rack? A smith machine interferes with natural human biomechanics, which is much more of a recipe for injury than a free-weight squat performed with correct technique within a rack.

You may find adding (or even substituting for a cylce) unilateral squatting to your routine might help with quad mass development. Bulgarian (rear elevated) Split Squats are quite good for quad development, as you must naturally shift your weight fowards in order to isolate the weight baring leg effectively. These can be performed (safely) over safety pins in a rack with a barbell on your shoulders too.

As for weighted sit-ups; what about choosing a more inherently challenging exercise instead? Such as dragon flags or full contact twists.. ROM can be gradually increased in the former and resistance progressively added to the latter. There's even the good old ab-wheel.

A hi-lo pulley system is usually sold with or as an option with most power racks and I personally think it's worth the investment. Lat pull downs are probably not going to be very useful to you at your weight (I'm in a similar boat) but the chin-up bar will do for that. The low pulley, however, is the safest (most biomechanically natural) way to perform rows. I think it's worth it for cable rows alone.
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Does anyone have experience with TRX suspension training? I know the Nike campus in my town has them available for their employees. Can't be too crappy then, right?
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailDC View Post
Does anyone have experience with TRX suspension training? I know the Nike campus in my town has them available for their employees. Can't be too crappy then, right?
Is this a joke? What do you want to use that for? Goals? Current stats?
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derzui View Post
Is this a joke? What do you want to use that for? Goals? Current stats?
No it's not a joke. And I'm not asking specifically for myself. Just in general. Why would it be a joke? Do you know anything about it? http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/ Don't post such ignorant responses without a good reason.
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM

I only glanced at the trx site but it looks like a rip. Im pretty sure you can do that with the perfect pullup and its only $17 with free shipping on amazon. I love mine for when i cant make it to the gym. You can do pullups or add the handles for a neutral grip(though ive heard of the handels breaking on some people so i normally dont use them.) or flip the bar down to do reverse rows at different angles. For $9 more on amazon, you can get the ab arm slings so you can hang and do leg pull ups. Add some pushups and you get a good workout. Super cheap compared to that trx thing. And the pic on that site showed a girl doing pushups with her feet in the trx. You could do the same thing with your feet on a couch. Maybe Im missing something. For a home gym, as close to the real thing would be best but on a budget, I love my parents bowflex. You can do bench, bis, abs, rows, shrugs, and leg press. with the lat attachment, pulldowns and tris, with the leg attachment, extensions and curls. My parents is from 2002 and we had to add more 100 lb bars sto make some exercises hard enough. Im not familiar with the new models

Last edited by jimmypop13 : 12-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Unread 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM

If you need something to protect your floor and weights, check out your local Feed Supply for a horse stall mat. They're 4'x6' and 3/4" rubber, usually around $20-25.

I use a few under my weights and heavy bag. Reduces fatigue and you can drop plates without worry.