BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-22-2017, 06:33 AM

Default Somewhat fast?

I know the PSMF is mean't to show really good results in a short span of time, but recently I have been taking quick readings on the scale out of curiosity, and I am literally dropping half a pound every day or every two days, is this normal? At this point I don't know how much of that is water, because before I even started PSMF, I wasn't retaining much water as I was on a low carb diet, so I already had my early "whoosh" but I have been on doing PSMF for 9 days now, and I am always somewhat surprised at how fast I am dropping.

Stats - currently
age - 23
H- 6'1
W- 119.2 kg
BF - was 29 or so at 126kg no idea what I am now.
Activity - While on PSMF I have been sedentary as fk, so just casually chilling around my house, and doing paper work for university.
Exercise - 3 x weekly heavy weight lifting, 30 minutes of cardio every now and then, but it's very light cardio.

Started at 122.3 kg (this is after the whoosh) - 14th December

on the 20th I was at 119.8kg which I was very happy about for one weeks worth of effort, but then on the 21st I was 119.2kg, and now I am 118.5kg.

Could the big jumps be a decrease in LBM, but in terms of connective tissue? Because the last thing I would want to do is lose any significant amount of muscle, as the only sliver lining with gaining a lot of weight randomly is the decent increase in LBM. Or a more relative question would be, do people constantly lose water weight throughout a diet, or does it not balance itself to a somewhat neutral level if the person is hydrated.

I am following the diet's guidelines to the letter as well as doing the exercises suggested so I might just be overthinking things in that regard, but it would still be nice to get some other opinions from people who perhaps have done PSMF previously.

TL;DR
- Losing weight a really fast rate, just wondering if it's okay or if I am just overthinking things like a twat
Unread 12-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Eat a dozen donuts on top of your diet, should slow things down a bit.
Unread 12-22-2017, 06:59 AM

That's normal. It's called water weight.

When carbs are limited, the body gets rid of a lot of water and you look less bloated. Also, your muscles will become depleted because your body has a hard time restoring glycogen when only protein is consumed. Glycogen is about 75% water.

Some people report 8-10 lbs initial weight loss when starting RFL, but I believe 3-6 lbs is more common.

Anyway, enjoy while it lasts. Most of that weight will be restored once you introduce a maintenance diet again.
Unread 12-22-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
That's normal. It's called water weight.

When carbs are limited, the body gets rid of a lot of water and you look less bloated. Also, your muscles will become depleted because your body has a hard time restoring glycogen when only protein is consumed. Glycogen is about 75% water.

Some people report 8-10 lbs initial weight loss when starting RFL, but I believe 3-6 lbs is more common.

Anyway, enjoy while it lasts. Most of that weight will be restored once you introduce a maintenance diet again.
Thats the issue, I was already on really low carb diet previously before starting PSMF, so I lost a huge amount of water before even starting the diet, so I didn't really see a HUGE spike of weight drop instantly when I started PSMF because the carb value wasn't that different to my previous diet.

At the end of the day progress is progress I guess, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dropping at an abnormal rate. The only real difference between PSMF and the keto diet I was on previous is the decrease in calories/fat and the increase in protein so I didn't think I was going to lost much water weight past that point anyway.

I plan on doing PSMF for 45 days, so another 35 days basically, purely because I am actually enjoying it, the routine and the fixation on the guideline helps stay on track, but I obviously want to move on to a more sustainable diet at a later period, and I know that I obviously won't lose similar amounts of weight on another diet, so I am not clinging to any exceptions in speed in general, but the drop was somewhat surprising. It may just be because I was a lot lower than I am currently basically a year ago, and when I use to cut to drop a small amount of fat it took me ages, I guess I am just not use to the concept of having so much fat on my body that I can drop it so easily.

Last edited by HardWeightLoss : 12-22-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Unread 12-22-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWeightLoss View Post
Thats the issue, I was already on really low carb diet previously before starting PSMF, so I lost a huge amount of water before even starting the diet, so I didn't really see a HUGE spike of weight drop instantly when I started PSMF because the carb value wasn't that different to my previous diet.

At the end of the day progress is progress I guess, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't dropping at an abnormal rate. The only real difference between PSMF and the keto diet I was on previous is the decrease in calories/fat and the increase in protein so I didn't think I was going to lost much water weight past that point anyway.
Trust me, your body does not change the first law of thermodynamics. It's just water weight and a little fat loss. The scale is your worst enemy when on an extreme diet. Use it only as a tool to measure the craziness of your diet and how your body responds to the roller coaster. Using it to monitor changes in body composition will leave you completely confused, depressed or happy all at once.

Edit
I frequently see people complain or worry about the way the scale moves. Just adhere to the diet (whatever it is) for the planned period. Go into a 2 week break after that. And finally, AFTER that break, you have a good idea where your body is at. And even then it may not be indicative of the finale result. My own body has been holding pounds of water weight for about a month. That's 4 weeks after the diet ended.

Last edited by Determinism : 12-22-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Unread 12-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Sounds like what has already been said and was another whoosh. So the good test if it is muscle or not is are you manintaining the load on the bar when you lift?
Unread 12-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Trust me, your body does not change the first law of thermodynamics. It's just water weight and a little fat loss. The scale is your worst enemy when on an extreme diet. Use it only as a tool to measure the craziness of your diet and how your body responds to the roller coaster. Using it to monitor changes in body composition will leave you completely confused, depressed or happy all at once.

Edit
I frequently see people complain or worry about the way the scale moves. Just adhere to the diet (whatever it is) for the planned period. Go into a 2 week break after that. And finally, AFTER that break, you have a good idea where your body is at. And even then it may not be indicative of the finale result. My own body has been holding pounds of water weight for about a month. That's 4 weeks after the diet ended.
Will do thanks for the advice. And I don't doubt that my body functions the same as anyone else, but I was just surprised at the drop rate, and wanted to clarify if it was within the norm, as I could estimate a 1,500-1,700 deficit daily on this diet, which is big, so I was somewhat concerned with the rate, but I guess even after a big whoosh you can still lose more water weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Sounds like what has already been said and was another whoosh. So the good test if it is muscle or not is are you manintaining the load on the bar when you lift?
I added around 20kg to my bars in general recently, so if anything I am lifting more, so no decrease in maintaining any load on my dead lifts or my benches. I will just wait out the 45 days I intented to do RFL for, and then reevaluate what was lost, etc.

Thank you all for the advice.
Unread 12-22-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm actually going to disagree with people on here saying it's mostly water. I had a brief look at your log and it seems you're having around 900 calories a day. A person your weight and height probably has a maintenance close to 3k calories daily, so you're in a 2k calorie deficit everyday. That's over half a pound per day of pure fat loss. At your bf, you don't need to worry much about lbm retention yet on this diet. I'd say you're doing great and if you keep it up, you'll see great results. Keep plugging away
Unread 12-23-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I'm actually going to disagree with people on here saying it's mostly water. I had a brief look at your log and it seems you're having around 900 calories a day. A person your weight and height probably has a maintenance close to 3k calories daily, so you're in a 2k calorie deficit everyday. That's over half a pound per day of pure fat loss. At your bf, you don't need to worry much about lbm retention yet on this diet. I'd say you're doing great and if you keep it up, you'll see great results. Keep plugging away
You make a valid point. Of course fat loss is part of the equation as well.

So, to rephrase: weight loss (or gain) that cannot be explained by the daily deficit is almost certainly water weight.
Unread 12-23-2017, 01:44 PM

At your weight, losing half a pound on the scale a day is possible and can go on for ages