BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Overtraining and Overreaching

Results Part 1
Unread 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM

ive been checking the site every few hours for part 3 on weight training categories.. and then this.. lol
Unread 10-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Part 2
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM

Thank your for sharing this very personal story. I don't know anyone who would be willing to disclose details to such a great degree, and I appreciate it.I can relate to many of the things you spoke about I'm glad your feeling better.

Last edited by simon341 : 10-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM

Good Luck Lyle. I can relate as I am at a crossroads with swimming at the moment. I think the best thing to do (as you seem to be doing) is to lower your own expectations and just go out and have fun, as corny as that sounds. You certainly have to take your past experiences into consideration. Then after the race, you can gauge where you are at in terms of where you wanna go with it. Dont think of it as, "If I was in shape, then I would've smoked everyone here," think of it as, "Under the circumstances, I did really well," followed by "When I get in shape, I will smoke them." If you are confident in your training, you are more likely to succeed. Just take small steps along the way.
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:48 AM

all the best for the Houston race!
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:51 AM

There are so many factors in play, not getting enough quality sleep, nutrition, social- or psycological reasons, training ect... As you describe the symptoms it sounds like a depression and the reason(s) may be severly overtraining and/or a mix of other factors, or a single factor unknown, that trigger symptoms.

Personally I have a pretty high limit to overtraining, but sometimes I get some "symptoms" when sitting to much in front of the computer. I think its important to investigate and better know our limitations - to feel good and avoid problems...

Last edited by Uchi-mata : 10-17-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Unread 10-18-2010, 06:01 PM

Excellent articles, Lyle. Thank you for writing these.
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the articles & good luck with the next race!
Unread 07-03-2011, 06:53 AM

Default Goodbye Anhedonia

Lyle , thank you for writing these articles I am sure they resonate with many people on many levels. When it comes to the subject of anhedonia and entering the “subtle suicide “ zone (see Charles I. Brooks and Michael A. Church ) been there , done it, took the full dark tour.

I wrote the book, having walked around for 50 year an undiagnosed until last year July 2010 full blown classic Asperger case. Experience of life long depression and worse is par for the course for us aspies.

It’s been a while since on body composition (in my opinion) a brilliant website and forum, you helped me tremendously with your knowledge, I once wrote you to thank you for returning me to my long lost love of training and scientific nutrition.

I felt moved to write and come back on this forum due to your dark sojourn into the slough o despond. Having devoured a lot of your writing and confessionals at a distance I was always struck at how close you come in many, many attributes and expressions to some classic signs of being on the high functioning side of Aspergers.

Now I may be WAY, WAY off the mark here, but have you ever had it mentioned to you or even had it ruled out. I know this is not directly related to overtraining and overreaching (which is a classic perfectionist aspect of Aspergers curiously enough) I am perhaps wrongly reading a deeper significance from many of your communications and falling into the trap of seeing what I want to see, but yet there is a certain something that comes across from the totality of much of your ways of communication in action as you report them back.

On reading the account of your depression and reading between the lines when you mention topics around social communication and a preference for certain ways of being and certain conditions of functioning it all seems to me to add up to you “sitting on something”.
If you are not an aspie, then I have obviously talked complete bull here, however you are so very damn close to the aspie ways its worth mentioning the possibility.

I won’t go into all the reading between the lines and the possible indicators from this classic Asperger that I see in your writing, but I just wanted to raise the subject for you as food for thought. My reason being if and its just a big IF you are indeed somewhere on the spectrum of Aspergers tendency then depression and the anhedonia you mentioned is cyclical and not ever really “cured” but must be navigated as you would avoid bog marches on a Scottish wilderness hike…for it takes as you found out a massive amount of time and effort to get out the sticky black bog. I have learned my own way to map out the route and stepping stones around these bogs.

Once again thank you for all the help last year, and I am so very pleased to see you firing on all cylinders again.

I hope you don’t think I have over stepped the mark in my comments to you, my intention is to just further discuss why certain types of people may be subject to these zones and never get a real full explanation of their condition as it lifts then goes away for a while then returns, so they never get down to the neurological brain development models, psychiatric models or bio chemistry models of explanation and prevention.

Of course in all of the above speculation that you may be Aspergers I hope I am wrong, for its not something you would wish on anybody as it’s a pervasive lifelong difficult journey.

Best to you Clansman

Last edited by James Stewart : 07-03-2011 at 06:56 AM.