BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-23-2017, 08:01 AM

Default Returning to the fundamentals

My old log can be found somewhere but it was a fail/success/fail log.

Good news - I managed to drop from 200lbs to just under 190lbs. I even maintained this weight loss for a few months by making long-term healthier choices (no longer killing bags of chips, dropped all regular sodas, began eating more fruits and veggies *I have a love of squash* and legumes).

Bad News - I realized I need to drop calories A LOT further if I am going to make considerable progress (I have been bouncing between 185lbs and 190lbs with varying degrees of success / screw it). I commute to work for 2 hours, sit on a train, sit all day at my office, sit all the way back home, and when I am home I have a few hours...where I normally sit and do homework online).

Yesterday I decided to return to the fundamentals. I read Lyle's articles on setting the deficit, where maintenance calories come from, some articles on resting metabolic rate, etc. I determined that I need to eat at 8 calories per pound a day if I am going to make considerable progress. I am going to up my protein intake and start taking in essential fatty acids. I can maintain a flexible attitude - carbs or fats are both not evil; calories matter most.

Workout: 2-3x a week. A lot of it is calisthenics (pull ups , push ups, lunges, etc.)

Diet: Weight * 8 = Calories for the day. Protein >100. Ideally 150-180 grams.

Lifestyle: I need to find ways to up activity during the day. Conscious steps need to be taken (like walking during lunch).

My ultimate goal is to get below 170lbs as in the original log. Hopefully I will have a abs showing by than. If not the cut will continue. I realize this could take longer than I initially thought. I estimate I am at 20-22% body fat.

Day 1 (yesterday): 190.2 lbs
Day 2: 189.6 lbs

Last edited by davidjr74 : 02-23-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Unread 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Calories today: 1504
Got my fish oils in today as well.
Spot on!

This is going to be the layout of my journal:

Day 1 - weight
Day 2 - weight and so on and so forth...
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
LOG: (average out the past 7 days).

I will be comparing these "logs" together to see how my weight is dropping via 7 day averages.
Unread 02-24-2017, 07:13 AM

Day 3: 187.6lbs

It is always nice to see those first pounds coming off in a diet (it means to me you're doing something right). I'm glad I'm doing weekly averages though. Relying on day to day results will drive a dieter crazy...
Unread 02-24-2017, 09:04 AM

We both basically weigh the same & started at the same time.

I like the idea of returning to fundamentals.

Simple.
Unread 02-25-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
We both basically weigh the same & started at the same time.

I like the idea of returning to fundamentals.

Simple.
In my last log, for whatever reason, I began to justify that "carbs" were the enemy so I did ketogenic. It worked and I promoted that but had some issues with adherence eventually (lifestyle and social life...carbs cannot be avoided). My goal is to diet while making realistic modifications that way when I come off dieting I can break that cycle where I just gain it all back...I have done that for years and as I have gotten older I realized that patience, simplicity, and consistency, and not instant gratification are key...this applies to our diets as well. Long-term behavioral changes is what I am looking for. In the short-term, I really want abs. Never had full showing. I came close in 2013...I was down to 173lbs and started seeing the top 4 than I convinced myself I was too skinny lol.

Day 4: 185.2 lbs
Unread 02-26-2017, 02:46 PM

Day 5: 184.8 lbs.

Hitting my caloric targets even through the weekend. The only bad news about today is I hit my calorie target by 3pm. More protein than usual as well: I had 8 oz of catfish, a lot of greek frozen yogurt, a spicy chicken sandwich. A lot of the foods I am eating I like to have protein associated with it. Also still getting in the fish oils.

Last edited by davidjr74 : 02-26-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Unread 02-27-2017, 08:29 AM

Day 6: 185.0 lbs

Almost ready to record a weekly average. I really like the idea of comparing averages together. It will keep me on track and remind me not to focus on day to day changes on the scale which is known to be deceptive. Last night I prepared 5 chicken salads for the week. I keep light Italian dressing at work. Normally I skip breakfast but today I ate 3 eggs with a whey protein shake, took my fish oil pills, and a caffeine pill. I also brought coffee into work to help with energy levels. Sleep is becoming disturbed lately. Oddly enough, I feel less tired (almost like I don't require as much sleep) when cutting. Not sure why this is but I'm not complaining. My diet during my work days is going to be more rigid than it is on the weekends.

Monday - Friday
Rigid - Breakfast (if any): 3 eggs with 1 bread slice, whey protein in water, fish oil pills. Alternative B: Greek yogurt with some oatmeal
Rigid - Lunch: Chicken Salad, Apple & Banana are snacks I bring into work everyday.
Flexible - Dinner: By this time I know I am at 980 calories or 1000 calories for conservative simplicity (I also have consumed 95 grams of protein thus far) and I have 500 calories left. I either prepare dinner or my spouse prepares dinner. I look to eat a good amount of meat (8-12 oz) and non-starchy veggies and very little carb sources (except rice if it goes with it which I watch my intake carefully).

Last edited by davidjr74 : 02-27-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Unread 02-27-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjr74 View Post
Day 6: 185.0 lbs

Almost ready to record a weekly average. I really like the idea of comparing averages together. It will keep me on track and remind me not to focus on day to day changes on the scale which is known to be deceptive.
I find this helps me a lot. I plot daily weight, weekly average and then an average with the max and min figure subtracted.

Good progress so far!
Unread 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellurium View Post
I find this helps me a lot. I plot daily weight, weekly average and then an average with the max and min figure subtracted.

Good progress so far!
Thanks for visiting my log. I plan to keep this up for a while. I'm pretty determined and have a process now. Glad you brought this in weekly averages surely will make psychological sense as well. I'm sure I will see my weight go up tomorrow.

I ate exactly 980 calories by the time I came home. For dinner, I ate some fried chicken and some rice...1 breast, a thigh, and a leg with some buffalo sauce so I went above my calorie target unfortunately. Doing some google and remembering what I ate rendered me this:

Fried Chicken Breast - 294
Fried Thigh - 238
Fried Leg - 120
Rice - 150
Buffalo Sauce - 50

That puts me at 1852 calories today or 10x bodyweight. Considering 11x is used for RMR for males I should still be in a slight deficit today...Of course I could still be over or underestimated. Positive note - definitely met protein intake today.

Resting metabolic rate: 10-11 cal/lb. Women use 10, men use 11. If you work something like the Harris-Benedict equation (which includes age, weight, etc.) for most realistic ranges, it’s always within shooting distance of this value. So I use the quick estimate. For example, I plugged my numbers (37 year old male, 5’7″, 155 lbs) into one of the online calculators and it spit out 1630 calories for RMR. 155*11 = 1705 calories. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...c-intake.html/
Unread 02-28-2017, 06:50 AM

Day 7: 186.6 lbs.

First week of dieting complete.

Start: 190.6 lbs
Week 1 Average: 187.0 lbs

Off to a good start. Ready to begin week 2. I need to workout today or tomorrow; it has been over a week since I have done any type of resistance training. Overall, I would say the deficit is manageable. Sleep is a little bit disturbed (oddly enough I wake right up...); perhaps I will look at finding solutions for this. Part of this is the sheer amount of caffeine I have during the day.

I look forward to making more progress and following others logs as well. Also I would like to find a picture of me at 190lbs...my profile pic is the last time I was at the 183-184lb range. I know I have it somewhere.

Last edited by davidjr74 : 02-28-2017 at 06:55 AM.