BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Default Is this a cortisol issue ?

Hey folks, some of you probably already know my preferred method of fat loss is long distance walking and burning calories through step count which worked wonders for me in the past (I have a separate thread somewhere).. this time round progress has been quite stagnant to say the least. By that I mean I've been dealing with severe water retention which comes and goes and my only assumption is the stress I'm putting my body under without knowing. I'm lifting x3 a week and trying to walk 25-40k steps x5 a week. Don't get me wrong, I've seen results but there are certain weeks where I just look like I've put on a lot of weight which colleagues at work have actually noticed so I'm glad it's not in my head. That brings me to today where I know something is definitely up. I don't normally weigh myself. The last time it was nearly two months ago. I weighed 170 then and this morning for the sh** and gigs I decided to weigh myself again and I was 185lbs. I can only assume this is cortisol related water retention as I have seen weight loss visually but from time to time I get attacked with this tsunami of water which just distorts my image.
Unread 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM

Cortisol issue on a 7kg weight gain? Not likely. I mean, it might be A factor, but make no mistake: you've gained weight, and fat.

And this is a common occurrence where people do not properly monitor what's happening over time
Unread 05-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Cortisol issue on a 7kg weight gain? Not likely. I mean, it might be A factor, but make no mistake: you've gained weight, and fat.

And this is a common occurrence where people do not properly monitor what's happening over time
This is 100% not fat. If you saw me two weeks ago and saw me now you will know this is not fat. I monitor my weight loss in different ways. The only reason why I don't weight myself is to avoid sh** like this happening which makes me second guess everything. My waist has shrunk from 34 to 32. Im eating 2000-2500 calories a day.
Unread 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM

It 100% is largely fat. It crept up on you. That's why you're only noticing now.

Two weeks ago you didn't weigh yourself. In fact, it's been slowly rising over the past two months. Only now you've noticed it.

7kg swing is highly unlikely to be free of fat gain.

Time for a diet, bro.
Unread 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Peter my friend. I assure you this is not fat. I know what fat looks
Like on my body I can distinguish it from water. 7kg of fat does not just creep up LOL, and bare in mind I'm making me average maintenance throughout the week like 3200.

Don't forget the part where I mentioned my waist size has shrunk.

Tomorrow I might look like a completely different person. Who knows. Il keep
You up to date on my weight.
Unread 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM

You're right. Your body is holding on to a whole 7 litres worth of water. That's enough to overflow a toilet bowl, so have flood control on high alert and warn the downstairs neighbours in advance
Unread 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM

I hope you weigh your food more regularly than your body
Unread 05-17-2017, 07:02 AM

Is it a hormonal water balance issue?

My guess is a little fat and a some water. I've moved up/down up to 6% in only 4 days. What you have (15 pounds) is more like 9%.

I cut carbs and dropped 7 pounds from May 8 to May 11. Means I still have a real 5-6 pound weight gain from my recent adventure though.

If you think it could be cortisol then take a week off from training and eat at maintenance. I wouldn't expect that to be super fun since that equals eating less if you back out the calories you are including for activity right now.

If all your newly gained weight drops as just a result of less physical stress while not being in a deficit then maybe, presuming that's enough of a recovery period.

If you just want the water off and don't care too much where it came from then I would go low carb/lower activity for a week and see where you are at.
Unread 05-17-2017, 10:54 AM

When I was forcing in walking and trying to get leaner (I was already lean) over the course of about 1 - 2 years, I had something similar (although I didn't see a 15 lb. weight gain).

My waist was shrinking, but my lower ab fat was slowly increasing. Moreover, the amount of steps/calories that allowed me to lose weight before, wasn't working anymore.

I actually did have a hormonal issue, but perhaps you've pushed the envelope too much at this point (not sure how lean you are, but you could be too lean), either from diet and/or walking too much (too much activity).

I suspect the waist size went down for me because I was losing muscle, but I definitely had gained fat.

I went from 163 lbs. with ~32" waist, and DEXA scanned at 9% body fat to ~156 lbs. with a ~30.5" waist and DEXA scanned at 9% body fat.

Ab skinfold (next to the navel) went from ~7 - 8 mm to 10 - 12 mm.

Note: My weight wasn't really budging, but I also took a 7 day average. So I was never concerned with huge swings in weight, but it was also nearly impossible towards the end to lose weight.
Unread 05-17-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
When I was forcing in walking and trying to get leaner (I was already lean) over the course of about 1 - 2 years, I had something similar (although I didn't see a 15 lb. weight gain).

My waist was shrinking, but my lower ab fat was slowly increasing. Moreover, the amount of steps/calories that allowed me to lose weight before, wasn't working anymore.

I actually did have a hormonal issue, but perhaps you've pushed the envelope too much at this point (not sure how lean you are, but you could be too lean), either from diet and/or walking too much (too much activity).

I suspect the waist size went down for me because I was losing muscle, but I definitely had gained fat.

I went from 163 lbs. with ~32" waist, and DEXA scanned at 9% body fat to ~156 lbs. with a ~30.5" waist and DEXA scanned at 9% body fat.

Ab skinfold (next to the navel) went from ~7 - 8 mm to 10 - 12 mm.

Note: My weight wasn't really budging, but I also took a 7 day average. So I was never concerned with huge swings in weight, but it was also nearly impossible towards the end to lose weight.
Thanks for this.

I can see where you're coming from in terms of the step count not being as effective as it used to, which baffles me as I see no reason why it wouldn't have the same effect. Surely this goes against the law of thermodynamics and the energy you burn?

Whats strange is I know for a fact I've been losing weight and I can see it in the mirror. Whats annoying is I keep having these random episodes of huge water spikes which really frustrates me. I can only put this down to over exertion which messes with my cortisol levels. I kid you not I can wake up tomorrow and my face would look completely different, my stomach would be tighter and I'd just feel much lighter.