BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Supplements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Yohimbe FAQ

Q: What is yohimbe/yohimbine?

Yohimbe/yohimbine is an alpha-2 antagonist, meaning it inhibits the effect of alpha-2 receptors. This has many effects in teh body including to help mobilize stubborn bodyfat; it also has a tendency to increase heart rate and blood pressure. Other side effects are also possible and individuals prone to anxiety attacks must not use yohimbine. Yohimbe can also cause water retention which can mask fat loss.

Q: What is the difference between yohimbe and yohimbine?

Yohimbe is a herbal form of the compound. Most yohimbe products are extracted from some type of bark and contain not only yohimbe but a number of related alkaloids. The alkaloids can cause a number of odd side effects including chills and sweating.

Yohimbine HCL is the pure pharmaceutical form of the compound. It has far fewer side effects and is what I recommend. The big drawback to yohimbine HCL is that it's only available in 2.5 mg capsules and you end up having to take a handful to get an effective dose.

Q: What's the effective dose of yohimbine?

0.2 mg/kg bodyweight taken with caffeine 30-60 minutes before fasted cardio. So a 70 kg (154 lb) individual would take 14 mg. Since the pills are only available in 2.5 mg doses, the individuals would take 6 of them, getting 15 mg total.

Q: Why do I have to use yohimbine/caffeine fasted?

The increase in insulin from eating anything will negate the effect of yohimbine completely and the negative studies on yohimbine invariably used it in people who had eaten.

Q: I bought a herbal form of yohimbe that says it contains 1200 mg which is 10X what you say I should be taking. What's going on?

Of that 1200 mg bark, only a small percentage is actually yohimbine. So if it were standardized to 0.2% yohimbe alkaloids, each pill would contain 1200 mg * 0.002 = 2.4 mg active ingredient.

Q: The product I bought doesn't say what it's standardized too, how do I know how much is in each pill?

You can't. Throw it out and get a better product.

Q: Can I take yohimbine with ephedrine?

While some have done this, usually lean individuals at the end of a diet, I do NOT recommend this. The potential for side effects is multiplied with the combination. Heart rate and blood pressure can do some ludicrious things. Don't do it.

Q: I bought a fat burner containing yohimbine and ephedrine, why are they doing this if it's dangerous?

Check the label, odd are it only contains a few mg of yohimbe/yohimbine, far below the effective dose. They threw it in to get it on the label but it's a useless dose.

Q: What if I want to use yohimbe in the morning before cadrio and EC later in the day, how long do I have to wait?

Wait at least 4 hours after the dose of Y/C before taking EC so that the yohimbine can clear the system.

Q: My bottle says that women shouldn't take yohimbe, why?

There is an old (wrong) idea that yohimbine raises testoterone. This is becasue yohimbine can cause erections (by incresaing blood flow to the penis) and it was assumed for years that anything that caused erections did so by raising testosterone. Yohimbine has no hormonal effects.

Q: You mentioned water retention above, how long do I need to stop taking yohimbine to drop the water?

At least 3 days, you'll pee your brains out and then it will have cleared. This is important for pre-contest bodybuilders/figure/fitness athletes who are using yohimbine. It should be dropped early enough to get rid of any water before the show.
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Q: I want to lift weights and do cardio afterwards, can I take yohimbine?

Yohimbine can cause some really weird heart rate effects around high intensity activity. the best way to take it for a weight -> cardio workout is to take the yohimbine an hour before you'll be doing cardio. That is, if you have a 40 minute weight workout planned with cardio afterwards, take the yohimbine 20 minutes before the start of the weight workout. This will let the yohimbine exert it's maximum effect when you are starting the cardio and you won't feel like you're having a heart attack during the weight room workout.
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post

Yohimbine can cause some really weird heart rate effects around high intensity activity. the best way to take it for a weight -> cardio workout is to take the yohimbine an hour before you'll be doing cardio. That is, if you have a 40 minute weight workout planned with cardio afterwards, take the yohimbine 20 minutes before the start of the weight workout. This will let the yohimbine exert it's maximum effect when you are starting the cardio and you won't feel like you're having a heart attack during the weight room workout.
Quick follow up question on this.........

Contest prepping natural female bber (<120#s) - I can't take ephedrine its banned by my federation.

I'm taking Y/C/l-T pre cardio (10-12.5mg/200mg/2g). Would it be okay to do a second pre training dose for post training cardio per the above recommendation with that big a dose pre-fasted am cardio. Or should I adjust Y dosing?
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

It's a good question. the only study I can think of that used split dosing kept the absolute daily amount (0.2 mg/kg) but split across the doses. A double dose (e.g. 0.2 mg/kg taken twice per day) might cause some weird HR/BP spikes, never had anybody who tried it.

I would probably suggest, cuz I'm old and conservative, taht you start with a split dose (so 0.1 mg/kg before each workout) and then bump it up slighlty. So first try maybe a 50% increase in total daily dose (e.g. 0.3 mg/kg total or 0.15 mg/kg before ach workout). If that is tolerated for a few days, try a full double dose.

And please let me know what happens, I"d love the data point.
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks Lyle - I don't have a stim sensitive bone in my body so I am probably the worst test subject but I will give that a whirl and report back - STAY TUNED!
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:48 PM

I know from your Q&A that yohimbine have to be taken in a state that we dont have insulin trough our body's, but Anyways i have a few questions

┐Can i take Yohimbine with multivitamin, fish oils and other pills that are calorie free?

┐If i had taken the yohimbine, and lets say that after 2 hours i take something that will make my insulin go up, will this null the effect of yohimbine?
Unread 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
It's a good question. the only study I can think of that used split dosing kept the absolute daily amount (0.2 mg/kg) but split across the doses. A double dose (e.g. 0.2 mg/kg taken twice per day) might cause some weird HR/BP spikes, never had anybody who tried it.

I would probably suggest, cuz I'm old and conservative, taht you start with a split dose (so 0.1 mg/kg before each workout) and then bump it up slighlty. So first try maybe a 50% increase in total daily dose (e.g. 0.3 mg/kg total or 0.15 mg/kg before ach workout). If that is tolerated for a few days, try a full double dose.

And please let me know what happens, I"d love the data point.
Finally got myself organized and ran with this - what I did (<120# BW)...........

2g l-T/200mg C/7.5mg Y-HCL - 45 min pre fasted cardio
repeated the above as I walked into the gym to train legs

I also had slammed pre training supplements w/stims about 90 mins prior. I ran out of time so no post training cardio (which was the point - sigh). I felt fine during legs no adverse effects. HOWEVER, I drink BCAAs and Creatine while training. so I may have shut down the Y? Lyle, how would I manage for this - I typically do 10g BCAAs/BA/2.5g Creatine while training - no desire to drop this - does it make this strategy null and void (insulin)? Or is the training enough to manage the insulin to leave the scenario valid?
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Hey Lyle.. what about using Yohimbine HCL with an EOD approach? I'd take it in the morning and do the cardio fasted on my PSMF days.

The reason I ask is that the PSMF days come the day after eating at maintenance.. so I guess I wonder if I am even in a deficit for those morning hours the morning after eating at maintenance.

Does that make sense? Thanks.
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:

What do you do about post-workout nutrition in this scenario? Obviously you can't take it immediately or sip it during cardio, because the insulin would negate the effects of the yohimbine. People that have done this -- do you just skip it, or do you do your usual PWO after the cardio session?
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Default YCL and SFP 2.0

Okay, so I read every post in here and haven't found the answer to this, but forgive me if I'm wrong.

Everyone in here talks about YCL being bad for your heart if you take it before doing HIIT and should only be taken before low intensity/steady state cardio; but if that's the case, then why is YCL recommended BEFORE doing the SFP2.0 which involves HIIT??

I'm assuming that the YCL gets into the system about 40-60 minutes after taking it, which is why it is recommended to be taken 30minutes prior SFP2.0, so as to bypass the 10min. of HIIT? Still that would not be bypassing the last 10 minutes of intervals after the SS cardio as is the3 SFP 2.0??

Anyone??

Sorry, another question....
If you take YCL fasted in the morning and then simply go to work where you are standing or moving around all day - would that not classify as Low Intensity cardio?? lol

Thank-you in advance!