BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:07 AM

Unhappy Skipping Breakfast and Post-Prandial Drowsiness

I put beforehand that in three month of IF (skipping breakfast) I had good results, but I had to stop it because of an annoying problem.

It doesn't import how much calories or what kind of food association I eat for lunch (low-carb, high-carb low fat, high-protein low/high fat), but if I skip breakfast, in the afternoon I have a tremendous post-prandial drowsiness. Moreover I verified that if the breakfast is very low-carb it doesn't stop postprandial somnolence. A minimum of 15-20 gr of carbs have to be included (whole cereals and/or fruit). Better if carbs are 35-40 gr.

I've read the last Martin's article in his site about cortisol and hunger after breakfast (never had this problem), and my idea is that the drowsiness after the lunch can be caused by an high level of cortisol.

As carbs (and perhaps proteins?) in breakfast reduce cortisol level, it doesn't remains high until the lunch. Around noon insulin is elevated (according to it's circadian rythm) so, perhaps, the contemporary high level of cortisol contributes to higher spike of insulin. This can lead to an excessive reduction of blood glucose and consequently lead to post-prandial drowsiness.

If I do breakfast, also a HUGE breakfast, then I can eat a lot for lunch (also a big amount of carbs) without any problem in the afternoon.

I've to say that if in addition to the breakfast I skip lunch too, my energy level remains high all the day untill the evening workout and the dinner, but eating all my caloric intake in the evening for me isn't feasible. I can do it 1-2 times at week in a sort of "eat stop eat" intermittent fasting style, but not sistematically each day.

I'm wondering if those of you that have skip breakfast for intermittent fasting have never had this kind of problem and if they solved it in a different manner.

Many thanks...
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MbMax View Post
I put beforehand that in three month of IF (skipping breakfast) I had good results, but I had to stop it because of an annoying problem.

It doesn't import how much calories or what kind of food association I eat for lunch (low-carb, high-carb low fat, high-protein low/high fat), but if I skip breakfast, in the afternoon I have a tremendous post-prandial drowsiness. Moreover I verified that if the breakfast is very low-carb it doesn't stop postprandial somnolence. A minimum of 15-20 gr of carbs have to be included (whole cereals and/or fruit). Better if carbs are 35-40 gr.

I've read the last Martin's article in his site about cortisol and hunger after breakfast (never had this problem), and my idea is that the drowsiness after the lunch can be caused by an high level of cortisol.

As carbs (and perhaps proteins?) in breakfast reduce cortisol level, it doesn't remains high until the lunch. Around noon insulin is elevated (according to it's circadian rythm) so, perhaps, the contemporary high level of cortisol contributes to higher spike of insulin. This can lead to an excessive reduction of blood glucose and consequently lead to post-prandial drowsiness.

If I do breakfast, also a HUGE breakfast, then I can eat a lot for lunch (also a big amount of carbs) without any problem in the afternoon.

I've to say that if in addition to the breakfast I skip lunch too, my energy level remains high all the day untill the evening workout and the dinner, but eating all my caloric intake in the evening for me isn't feasible. I can do it 1-2 times at week in a sort of "eat stop eat" intermittent fasting style, but not sistematically each day.

I'm wondering if those of you that have skip breakfast for intermittent fasting have never had this kind of problem and if they solved it in a different manner.

Many thanks...
Most likely it is due to decreased post lunch catecholamine levels which kept you going thru the fasting hours.

BTW martin's article on BF/hunger is a bunch of BS..recently i started a thread about that and lyle shut it down.

I do IF simply because of fasting induced high energy levels on a deficit..i do have post lunch sleepiness and i did manage it by taking a power nap..feel even fresher for the rest of the day and no food craving.
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Banned

Debunking breakfast skipping myths

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=18829
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Ram, would you mind expanding on exactly WHY you think the article is BS? In that thread, you restated some of the things Martin said in the article then proudly beat your chest like you proved him wrong.
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM

Yay more IF debate.
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
I do IF simply because of fasting induced high energy levels on a deficit..i do have post lunch sleepiness and i did manage it by taking a power nap..feel even fresher for the rest of the day and no food craving.
For me is impossible to take a power nap. After lunch I return immediately in the office. I ate my lunch about 2 hours ago, and now my energy level is very high. Instead, according to my experience, if I had skipped breakfast now I would be lethargic.

From the awake to the lunch my energy level is averagely high both with or without breakfast, but if skipping it means to "suffer" in the afternoon I prefer to return to my 3 meals pattern.

My curiosity was to know if someone else have my same problem. Now I know that I'm not the unique to have it.
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Anyway, yeah. I've experienced this as well. IF until right around lunch time, meal, then for about an hour I'm sleepy and hate life. It happened quite often back when, but I seem to have adapted to it a little better, in that I don't get it quite as often. I remember having broccoli helped (probably from the fiber and slow absorption)
Unread 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Ok, no more IF arguments. If you want to eat breakfast, eat breakfast. If you want to IF, IF. /end
Closed Thread