BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-05-2017, 02:44 PM

"good judgment to know who to take advice from"

Same is true of choosing trainers.

See, it's a Catch 22. If you know nothing, you need a good PT. But if you know enough to be able to judge a good one, then you don't need one.
Unread 05-05-2017, 05:40 PM

There is a lot of truth to that.

I also think there is something to good judgement (of somebody's knowledge and intellect) even if don't know a tremendous amount about the topic yourself, but that's really beyond the scope of this thread.

Suffice it to say that there is a lot of conflicting info out there, and you are right that it is hard for beginners to know who to take advice from because they don't have much experience themselves.
Unread 05-07-2017, 01:23 AM

I would say read Starting Strength very carefully and watch rippetoe videos on squatting , deadlifits, pressing, and bench pressing on youtube. You will learn enough about the lifts that you will be able to ask a prospective trainer enough questions to see if he has any idea what they are talking about

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 05-07-2017, 02:06 AM

I don't think you should put too much stock in the way rippetoe squats. It's just not the cool way. Kind of lamest way to squat, absolutely. That's why it's all 250lb chubby white men with ponytails.
Unread 05-07-2017, 10:21 PM

Lol, I'm guessing this is facetious. Im certainly no squat expert and don't claim to know which bar positions are superior but given that the typical squatter I see uses a smith machine and rarely gets within a foot of parallel I think it's surely a terrific alternative for a beginner

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Update:

I've been weight training 3x a week for five weeks now. I'm having fun, I look better naked, and my confidence is growing, and I'm over my irrational gymphobia.

I found a trainer in Groupon, believe it or not, that was willing to do SS/SL, lives near me & goes to the same gym. He's about ten times more knowledgeable than the gym guy was and he has four times the social awareness (meaning we get along). I love it when things work out like that.

He had no problem doing StrongLifts or Starting Strength, but he kept adding to it and I was happy about that. In the past few weeks, we stopped doing SL all together and I just do whatever he says.

This concerns me because I am a very research-oriented person and now we are deviating from my research (Lyle's) -- and my trainer does not strike me as a researcher, but himnand his wife have great bodies and they've been training people for a decade. I haven't said anything yet and I have no problem telling him we're back to SS/SL if I need to, but I don't want to do that because he probably knows what he's doing. I am inclined to give him more time as I wait for results, but I wonder, how would I know if he is slowing down my gains anyway?

Seems to me, trainers are very resistant to doing Starting Strength because they think it is just some program I found online and I'm an inexperienced newb so who cares. They will either resist it from the getgo (don't get hired) or then they will go with it initially (to get hired) and then veer from it. Should I tell him to go back to the original plan OR trust his expertise OR give his workouts a trial period?

That having been said, having the support of what is essentially an experienced gym buddy is immensely helpful and I recommend it to all. There's zero internal debate on my part about whether I am going to the gym or not because I have an appointment that I paid for. My initial plan was to have a trainer teach me the ropes and then fire him after 6 weeks, but now I am going to have a trainer indefinitely. (It would be cool to eventually have a reliable gym buddy that I don't pay.)

Last edited by aspire : 06-16-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Unread 06-16-2017, 11:18 AM

This is great news. I'm so pleased to hear that it's going well for you
Unread 06-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Thanks man. The crazy part is, the day I started weight training I weighed in at 186... Which is a full 100lbs down from my peak weight! I can actually say I've lost a hundred pounds and then took up bodybuilding!

Last edited by aspire : 06-16-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Unread 06-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Thanks man. The crazy part is, the day I started weight training I weighed in at 186... Which is a full 100lbs down from my peak weight! I can actually say I've lost a hundred pounds and then took up bodybuilding!
How tall are you bro?
Unread 06-16-2017, 02:39 PM

5'11.5".. but I'm 6'1" on Tinder & my driver's license.