BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-07-2017, 10:44 PM

So I've continued making great progress in this regard. I haven't been diligent in doing ALL of the stretches, poses, etc daily but what I have found is that by focusing on them initially for a few months I'm now in much better alignment during pushups, pullups or while walking, sitting, or using cardio equipment.

My waistline is starting to look better than it has in over a decade. I've gotten this lean before but the postural alignment basically hid the results.

I've basically decided to give up weightlifting for muscle/strength gains for the next ~100 days and I'm going to focus 100% on finalizing this APT correction. I've got stretching and cressey exercises, cardio, and closed chain exercises (mostly pushup/pullups) that I will continue doing.

I am taking a 90 day yoga course and will attempt not to miss a single day. If i can just finish my progress it seems pretty clear that my body recomposition will be ready to take off once I return to weightlifting.

The amount of pain relief I've received in my lower back, neck, hamstrings, knees, etc simply cannot be understated. Everything is easier. Walking, sleeping, even just laying on the couch is imminently More comfortable

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 05-07-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: A
Unread 05-08-2017, 09:46 AM

This entire thread is Gold! Thank you guys.
Unread 05-21-2017, 01:05 AM

This maybe not the place to ask this... I was fascinated these articles, but I barely have access to the gym. Is there anything similar & good enough to do at home, with minimal gear requirements?
Unread 05-21-2017, 02:52 AM

Default A

Since im assuming you're newe to this try going through the list of stretches I mentioned in the opening post there are pictures and videos online of each exercise. I watched a ton of "fix your anterior pelvic tilt" videos on YouTube that were all helpful tOz varying degrees. In all seriousness things like glute bridges it will only take a matter of days to start seeing results .

Each day try tout hold stretches deeper. When you feel a good stretch that means you're in new territory so make it count! That's when I want you to stop and hold it. Take a series of slow deep breaths you'll feel it start to make an improvement in the muscle. Then (important) try to stretch just a little deeper.

This game is all about making progress.. just like you need more weight on the bar each workout you need deeper, more controlled breathing, held longer stretches to make progress. It will happen pretty rapidly at first

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 05-22-2017, 01:46 AM

Thumbs up

Definitely going to work on it! I'd rather have 50% of something than 100% of nothing.

Today though I actually took the time and went to the gym to try out the first workout in the "Neanderthal No More - 4" protocol. I had to come here and share my impression!

Results were really quite noticeable after just that first workout (says a lot about how crooked my posture really is). I Literally walked out the gym differently than I walked in.

The way the weight goes through the knees and spreads into the feet felt different and more "easy". my pelvic felt a lot more stable and "bouncy", sort of ready to jump. core felt held in my center of gravity. shoulders felt more relaxed as the lower body provided a more solid base to hold my upper body's weight.

Good stuff!
Unread 05-24-2017, 02:06 AM

k kind of a stupid question, just to see if i've got everything's straight. if the program lists C1-exercise, then C2-exercise, then C-3 exercise, am i to do all of them? of switch every week?
Unread 05-25-2017, 01:08 AM

I can't say I've really reviewed the cressey series closely enough to answer that.

With Anterior Pelvic Tilt id say just try to add a new stretch every week and REALLY NAIL IT until you've got many memorized.

People try to learn ten new exercises at once but don't review all the details on the alignment carefully so they end up not getting as much out of it as they should.

Here is 3 new things I've added:

1) Recumbent bike (I use a gym one not a real one). If you pick a level that offers a little resistance your Glutes and hamstrings get a TERRIFIC workout. Make sure you Google recumbent bike of you're not familiar with the term. It's much better for your postural alignment. An ordinary bike has you flexed at the hip and will actually make your APT worse.

After putting in tons of hours on this bike i can see a huge visual difference in my butt and posture. My hamstrings get this nice burning sensation so I know they are catching up to my quads. The thing about APT is your hamstrings/Glutes are so weak and out of alignment that it's difficult to perform weightlifting correctl

Unread 05-25-2017, 01:54 AM

I can't say I've really reviewed the cressey series closely enough to answer that.

With Anterior Pelvic Tilt id say just try to add a new stretch every week and REALLY NAIL IT until you've got many memorized.

People try to learn ten new exercises at once but don't review all the details on the alignment carefully so they end up not getting as much out of it as they should.

Here is 3 new things I've added:

1) Recumbent bike (I use a gym one not a real one). If you pick a level that offers a little resistance your Glutes and hamstrings get a TERRIFIC workout. Make sure you Google recumbent bike of you're not familiar with the term. It's much better for your postural alignment. An ordinary bike has you flexed at the hip and will actually make your APT worse.

After putting in tons of hours on this bike i can see a huge visual difference in my butt and posture. My hamstrings get this nice burning sensation so I know they are catching up to my quads. The thing about APT is your hamstrings/Glutes are so weak and out of alignment that it's difficult to perform weightlifting correctly. In my case I could never get the right positioning, target the correct angles, or sometimes even feel the correct muscles contract/participate. It's no wonder my lifts lagged and my knees, lower back, etc always sustained injuries quickly from compensation.

2) Stairmaster. Focus on quality of steps not quantity!!!!! Use the machine on a low speed setting so you can master the technique first and get the most improvement.

I) Stand upright, do not lean on the machine that is horrible for your posture. Engage your transversus abdominus by pulling your belly into your spine. (Look up engaging transversus abdominus). This is something good to work on anytime you are doing cardio or sitting upright it will train your stomach to flatten naturally. Remember, even if you lose all the fat you'll still look somewhat fat if you don't fix your posture.

II) Lift your knees up towards waist on every step. Think of it as forming a right angle at your waistline more like a marching motion. This will increase your heart rate more on the slower setting. Do not just let the steps drift towards your rising foot. Lift your knees above the step then place them down on the step. Let your quads stay "loose" during this process don't engage/contract them hard just let them come along for the ride.

III) Only place 65-70% of your foot on the step. The back Part of your heel will hang off the step. Don't be an idiot and risk falling off the machine. You'll know what is comfortable as far as your balance goes, and you should have the machine on a slow setting with hands forward resting on the handles for safety (not gripping the crap out of them). Again remember not to lean your weight on them.This isnt that hard if you are lifting your knees high enough becuase it gives the stair more time to get underneath you. This will shift the targeted muscles away from the quads and more toward the butt, hamstrings, and calves. You should be able to feel the difference.

IV) When you are placing your leg down on the step squeeze that side's buttcheek HARD. ReallyExaggerate the squeeze and allow it to propel that leg back up as you lift your knee. So you'll be going LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT with every step. It will feel unnatural at first. That's because your Glutes aren't firing normally! You've basically switched them off with your poor alignment. You'll be amazed at how quickly this glute muscle firing will start occurring naturally on each step. You're teaching your Glutes to activate! This is thebiggest key to fixing your alignment issues along with lengthening (stretching) your too short (tight) quadriceps muscles.

3) "Updated RKC planks". Basically, planks are too easy and no one wants to hold them 8 minutes. This plank puts your elbows closer to each other and moves them farther upwards towards under your chin instead of chest. Now contract your quadriceps so they are straight and SQUEEZE EZE those glutes while tucking them inwards (posterior tilt, you will probably need to YouTube this video try the one by Brett Contreras using a girl to demonstrate). Keep your head in a neutral position not looking up. If you're doing this correctly you probably won't make it more than 3-5 seconds if you have APT. So do multiple sets and then keep trying to add one extra second each gym session. Remember QUALITY of the contraction and held position. This is a strength building exercise not an endurance one so go all out with the contraction so it feels explosive and difficult and not something you could maintain a long time.

Hope this helps!

I must say that progressing towards fixing my APT over the last few months is one of the most satisfYing things I've ever done. Almost more so than sustained weight loss.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 05-25-2017 at 02:08 AM. Reason: A