BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-13-2008, 02:36 AM

Default UD 2.0 Review

Hello! I'm Tony and I review things. Let's preface this review with the statement "I'm not an expert\guru\super-fantastic 5000 smart guy". My limited qualifications consist of pursuing my bachelors in Health and Sports Science, being a UFPT (unit fitness and performance monitor) in the United States Air Force, and handful of smatterings in different athletic persuits. I'm a career Airman and the general plan is to retire from the service and move into a personal trainer\coach. I write reviews not because I'm particularly good at it, but because I feel their is a lack of integrity and quality work in the industry. Too often people simply overcharge for mediocre or poor products and I didn't see anyone else presenting real feedback\advice to consumers. After mounting frustration I decided that'd if the "experts" wouldn't do it, then maybe an average Joe could. You can find this and other reviews at my blog http://tonyreviews.wordpress.com/

Who is this guy and what is this product?

Quote:
Lyle McDonald has been interested in all aspects of human performance physiology since becoming involved in competitive sports as a teenager. Pursuing a degree in Physiological Sciences from UCLA, he has devoted nearly 20 years of his life to studying human physiology and the science, art and practice of human performance, muscle gain, fat loss and body recomposition.
What does this product claim?

Quote:
With the exception of a small percentage of genetic elite, who never seem to understand what the big deal is, dieting to sub 10-12% bodyfat for men (19-22% for women) is a huge problem. Hunger, muscle loss, crashing hormones, impaired training performance, these things and more seem to conspire against you to keep you from ever getting as lean as you want to be.

That's where the UD2 comes in. Building on previous cyclical diets such as the original Ultimate Diet and Dan Duchaine's Bodyopus, the UD2 will give you the reasons why dieting to extreme leanness is so difficult (hint: thank evolution). More importantly, it'll give you the solution to those problems.

Note: the UD2 is an advanced diet for advanced dieters. If you're not a male at 12-15% bodyfat or a female about 20-24% bodyfat and you haven't been training for at least 6 months, this diet isn't for you.
Where can I get it and how much does it cost?
$40.00

Review:
Binding\Design\Paper Quality

Spiral bound = sturdy and easy to read. The paper isn’t great, it’s not bad. Overall it meets expectations.

Layout\Format

There is practically no white space and the single space formatting allows for words all the way from top to bottom and right to left. While it’s “only” 70 pages, it has a lot more volume of information than other products recently reviewed.

Content Usability

Lyle is easy to read and gives quite a bit of explanation as to “why” he set up the diet like he did. It’s interesting (sometimes even funny) without being boring and at the end of reading the entire book you really have a decent grasp of what you’re trying to accomplish.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is “follow simple instructions”. If it says to do something, do it. If it doesn’t say to do it, don’t. Keeping that in mind will take the book from confusing and overly complicated to very simple.

Actually “doing” the diet is pretty strait forward (eat this, not that, at this time, not that time). The initial setting up is a bit of a pain in the I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post., not horrible, you just need to bust out with your math skills. The biggest confusion is the "carb load" day and a half. If it just boggles your mind Lyle says to turn it into one day instead...which really just solves every problem. Over all the diet portion itself is laid out in an easy to understand way.

As a bonus you get some tips and tricks for diet customization. This section is pretty brief, but over all was used more as a "review" of what was important. While it serves its purpose for customization the real benefit is the visualization of "how to apply the diet to my situation".

Does it do what it says\Final Thoughts

I lost 9lbs in 9 weeks. Little to no muscle loss. No loss to possible gains in strength. If all the stars were aligned I could see 6 abs now and then for the first time ever. As far as I’m concerned “it works”.

It’s educational and my end take on the process is that if you want exceptional results then you have to put some effort into figuring I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. out. I don’t know if the cal\carb cycling is a bunch of bologna like Alan Aragon says. I do know this is the only “diet” I’ve ever stuck with. It’s interesting because things are always changing (significantly) and you invest a lot of time and effort into making sure it works. I like it.

Please note that this is for people that are already under 15%. If you’re not then the book is purely educational. If you are, then it’s kid tested and mother approved.