BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundamentals View Post
Some gyms have the fly machine with the handles only going vertically and no handle that goes horizontally, that's why.
Actually, in my usual usual gym's case the seat on the machine still isn't high enough even at the top (it's old and crappy). And when I was on the road the other week I went to a different gym and they had a cable machine with approximately a FOOT in between the adjustments, and my shoulder ended up smack dab in the middle.

I rectified it with a low squat stance which made me look like a samurai practicing his chops, which was cool and all, but it made me think of the question and since this is a "how to" thread I figured I'd ask.

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Unread 09-24-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOAMattD View Post
Actually, in my usual usual gym's case the seat on the machine still isn't high enough even at the top (it's old and crappy). And when I was on the road the other week I went to a different gym and they had a cable machine with approximately a FOOT in between the adjustments, and my shoulder ended up smack dab in the middle.

I rectified it with a low squat stance which made me look like a samurai practicing his chops, which was cool and all, but it made me think of the question and since this is a "how to" thread I figured I'd ask.
Find something 6" thick to stand on. Like one of those aerobic stepper things. Or a couple of mats plus a weight plate.

Or, if there's a bench or chair nearby, pull it over there. It might put you at a more serendipitous height.

Or if you're lazy like me, just set the cables to the lower position and lean forward enough to make a right angle.
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisita View Post
Find something 6" thick to stand on. Like one of those aerobic stepper things. Or a couple of mats plus a weight plate.

Or, if there's a bench or chair nearby, pull it over there. It might put you at a more serendipitous height.

Or if you're lazy like me, just set the cables to the lower position and lean forward enough to make a right angle.
1) that wouldn't work on a seated fly machine that doesn't come up high enough. Maybe a thick book.

2) I don't think that word means what you think it means

3) wouldn't leaning forward put you in the wrong position?

RFL Round 2 Log (ended 10/25/2013)

UD2.0 Log (started 12/29/13)
Unread 11-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Lyle, if I do retract slightly at the end of the concentric, am I making this a less useful exercise for rear delt development? Possibly my question should be: does it become a useful mid trap exercise if I retract at the end of the concentric?
Unread 11-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Administrator

No. The original question was how to best isolate rear delts and keeping shoulders protracted forces them to do all the work. You can add retraction at the end but rear delts are still doing their job.