BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-22-2017, 08:28 PM

Post Do you get scared of diet breaks?

I should have my first diet break in about 2 weeks. By that time I will successfully complete my first 12-week round. To my surprise, this period was very easy. I have lost 31kg, and my motivation is still very strong. My only concern is that 2-week diet break on maintenance. I am afraid that I will somehow screw up, and go back to binge eating junk food.

Honestly, I wish I could just keep the diet until I reach my goal weight. However, I do understand that the body needs its rest. Can people who have reached their goals, give some useful advice for the 2-week break. Also, does it have to be two weeks, or it can be one week or 10 days?

P.S.

Lyle, thank you for creating this diet. I have never used a better plan in my life. I am losing fat, my stomach (IBS and gluten intolerance) issues are under control, and I do not have any cravings. I am not even hungry that much. There are days where I could go without eating anything. Thank you!!!
Unread 03-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Not terribly helpful advice, but think of it as good practice for your long term lifestyle after the diet is over. Eventually you'll be at your goal and need to transition off RFL, think of the 2 weeks as a trial run for lessons you need to remember for yourself when that happens. For me I have things like trigger foods, bad habits like calling V8 juice an acceptable way of getting the majority of my veggies during the day and other things I just have to be mindful of.

And the book says 2 weeks, so stick to the 2 weeks.
Unread 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM

Maybe you should think of the break as a diet, with more calories.

That's basically how your eating habits are going to need to evolve, to sustain the leaner body you want. Binges should be just as improbable, because they are against the rules that you set, yourself. Who undermines themselves consciously? Plenty of people do, but I bet you wouldn't like to.

So, your motivation is strong. You essentially have to be motivated to pause your progress, because rationally, you understand the reasoning, and you will resume progress after two weeks.

People ask this question regularly. At the end of the day, it just shows that you are thinking emotionally, and you need to think rationally.
Unread 03-23-2017, 11:08 AM

In the past I was more concerned about such things, but now I'm just more patient and know that it is easy to return to your diet. It's not like you go off the rails, binge and never return to your diet. This is a planned period of time with a planned return to the diet.

I treat it now as a time to do more work at the gym. I also enjoy feeling full of energy and in general, a better attitude. As much as you may think you feel 'good' with your diet, you'll see the stark contrast when you return to maintenance.

I would argue it is important to follow maintenance closely. Every time I come off a diet, I want to binge. That's all my body wants. After about 7-10 days of maintenance, those feelings disappear.

Lyle has written about these diet breaks in many of his books. These breaks lead to better adherence over the long run.
Unread 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM

I don't get scared of diet breaks; the diet breaks are scared of *me*.
Unread 03-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
Not terribly helpful advice, but think of it as good practice for your long term lifestyle after the diet is over. Eventually you'll be at your goal and need to transition off RFL, think of the 2 weeks as a trial run for lessons you need to remember for yourself when that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Maybe you should think of the break as a diet, with more calories.
This is good advice. Your diet is essentially never over, or you'll just get fat again if you go back to the way you used to eat.

Like LightCrow said, use this as practice. Get your healthy foods in each day, and now being at maintenance, you should be able to fit in a few treats each day or at least a few times during the two weeks.

But binging, overeating, "going off your diet"...that's over. Whether you're on a diet break, maintenance, or still dieting. Maybe every once in awhile (vacations for example), but try to remember, you haven't just lost weight, you've hopefully adopted a new lifestyle and way of eating.
Unread 03-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Your diet is essentially never over, or you'll just get fat again if you go back to the way you used to eat.
True.

Have been on a break and struggling to get back on track. Back to tracking really. I know I gotta, but I don't wanna.
Unread 03-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Have been on a break and struggling to get back on track. Back to tracking really. I know I gotta, but I don't wanna.
I tried not tracking at all and going by hunger for the first time in maybe a decade for a few months recently. That didn't go well. I need some type of gauge/accountability.

I don't weigh my food anymore, or obsess about every little calorie, but some rough idea of what I'm eating is needed for me personally. Going by hunger cues simply doesn't work for me. I know if I'm famished and feel weak, yes, I should probably eat something. And if I feel completely bloated and stuffed, I don't need food.

But the majority of the time I'm in between each of those feelings...and if I'm in between most of the time, then I'm going to be eating most of the time...
Unread 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM

Thank you all for your input. It was really helpful.

I guess I will look at that two-week period as a continuation of the diet, rather than a break. This will help me stay motivated and focused.

However, I do have one more question. I have seen Lyle suggesting to those that have lost a lot of weight, to cut their maintenance calories by 5 to 10 percent in order to account for slower metabolism. Should I also do this? And from which macronutrient group should I cut the most?

Thank you all, once again!
Unread 03-31-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanny23 View Post
Thank you all for your input. It was really helpful.

I guess I will look at that two-week period as a continuation of the diet, rather than a break. This will help me stay motivated and focused.

However, I do have one more question. I have seen Lyle suggesting to those that have lost a lot of weight, to cut their maintenance calories by 5 to 10 percent in order to account for slower metabolism. Should I also do this? And from which macronutrient group should I cut the most?

Thank you all, once again!
I used maitnenance -10% for the first week and will be moving up to "actual" maintenance for week 2.

I would try to get 0.8-1g/lb of protein, 0.4g/lb of fat and the rest carbs.