BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-25-2017, 06:22 AM

Default General diet/training advice to build muscle without further injury

Hi all,

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong section. I figured that it encompasses both general diet and general training so I picked one at random.

For the last couple of months I've been on one of those 8 week body transformation gym/diet challenges. I'm approaching the end now having dropped from 231 pounds to 194 so far.
I've achieved this with a 10-12K a week calorie deficit and mainly cardio at the gym. I've been tagetting 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fat although in reality it's often been closer to 40/40/20.

The problem is that I don't know where to go from here. Really, I want to build some muscle, which is something I've never managed to do before. I'm 6' 4" and not a large framed person by any standard. When I've attempted this before I've ended up with an inguinal hernia for my troubles (twice).

Really I need some pointers on how to get my diet from where it is now to where it needs to be and also on how to get started with a gym program which involves more than just cardio and also doesn't end up causing another hernia.

I've no objections to doing my own research, in fact if all I achieve from this post is some links to recommended reading on the subject then I'll consider it a success. So far all I'm finding is wildly conflicting advice all over the internet.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 04-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev51773 View Post

The problem is that I don't know where to go from here. Really, I want to build some muscle, which is something I've never managed to do before. I'm 6' 4" and not a large framed person by any standard. When I've attempted this before I've ended up with an inguinal hernia for my troubles (twice).
Did you have a surgical repair, or are you functioning potentially with an ongoing weakness that makes your prone to have another hernia?
Unread 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Ah yes, I always forgot to add something​ relevant.

I've had two surgical repairs, one each side, the last of which was five years ago, which was the last time I attempted any amount of weight training.

Also maybe relevant but I forgot to add, I'm 40.
Unread 04-26-2017, 04:17 PM

So I still don't know if you had these injuries because you had a congenital weakness, or used poor form, or were overreaching, or some mix and match combo of the three.

But if it was a congenital/structural weakness hopefully your surgeons dealt with that.

I would choose an established program, focus on good form, progress with care, and if it hurts then don't do that. Pretty much the same as for anyone really.

Pulls from the floor might not be best. And exercise forms that support the body so there is less abdominal recruitment might be a good thing...so maybe seated rows instead of barbell rows, or seated curls/overhead press instead of standing.

Some other people here might have suggestions on which programs would be better for that. I chose one mainly based on simplicity and availability of equipment at the gym I prefer.

I'm older than you and really only started about a year ago. My issue is knees. Squats seems fine, leg press not so good, prone hamstring curls are okay, but seated ones don't feel right.

Pay attention to your body.

As far as losing fat/gaining muscle there is a ton of info on the site about that and the basics are just that - basic; or IOW deficit to lose weight (preferably gat most times)/surplus to gain weight (muscle preferably).
Unread 04-27-2017, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing it's a combination of the three as I'm generally impatient with my progress in anything, I know very little about bodybuilding so my form is probably bad and I've had two hernia's on opposite sides in the same area so I'd have to suspect some kind of congenital structural deficiency.
Hopefully it's all been corrected sufficiently now, my worry is that I don't​ have typical pain response, I didn't even notice the last hernia at all until my wife spotted a half tennis ball sized lump adjacent to the marital equipment.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to proceed with caution, try to reign in my impatience and maybe even just bite the bullet and get a personal trainer.