BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Default When should I stop?

So I have attached pics of Day 1 UD2 and "afters" which are just before my second carb load: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=33175

Quick Background: prior UD2 I dieted moderately for 8 weeks and then did the transition phase as written in the UD2 Addendum.

Prior Weight: ~162
Current Weight: ~156

I was wondering, hypothetically, when do you think I should stop dieting?

Plan is to be at maintenance for a month and then go into a 10-15% surplus. I ask because I am not sure if I truly should just add some mass first or get as lean as possible first.
Unread 05-18-2017, 07:20 PM

You look good. No reason to get leaner at 156, you just risk getting run down. Stop and add mass.
Unread 05-19-2017, 01:02 AM

But he is 5'9, which could well mean 5'8 (not being rude; it's extremely common to automatically and without realising it overestimate one's height by half an inch to an inch)

At that height, cutting a bit further than 156 may not be too detrimental. Still not TOO lean tbh

Either way, a bulk would be good sometime soon. In my view, you could probably look fairly good even at 175lbs if you increased your muscle mass
Unread 05-19-2017, 05:47 AM

couple more weeks. you're leanish now, couple more lbs will make it pop
Unread 05-19-2017, 07:41 AM

What are your goals?

If you're not competing, you're lean enough in my opinion. But my opinion doesn't matter, yours does.

Personally, if I can't maintain a certain level of leanness, then it's not worth pushing it farther. There's a tipping point where, at 5'9" and being a natural, you may end up looking worse despite being even leaner. Especially at that body weight.

Also, if you intelligently add a surplus (sounds like you are) when you bulk, you shouldn't get too fat. You can always try to go leaner down the road, and this time with more muscle mass.

I didn't check the log, but was your UD2 stint 6 - 8 weeks? If so, that's about 14 - 16 weeks of dieting...that's long enough considering you're lean right now, if you were fatter I would say sure, take a break and hit it again.
Unread 05-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
What are your goals?

If you're not competing, you're lean enough in my opinion. But my opinion doesn't matter, yours does.

Personally, if I can't maintain a certain level of leanness, then it's not worth pushing it farther. There's a tipping point where, at 5'9" and being a natural, you may end up looking worse despite being even leaner. Especially at that body weight.

Also, if you intelligently add a surplus (sounds like you are) when you bulk, you shouldn't get too fat. You can always try to go leaner down the road, and this time with more muscle mass.

I didn't check the log, but was your UD2 stint 6 - 8 weeks? If so, that's about 14 - 16 weeks of dieting...that's long enough considering you're lean right now, if you were fatter I would say sure, take a break and hit it again.
I am actually only in the midst of my third week and if progress continues as it has I believe I will hit 154-155 (1-1.5lb loss) by the morning of my next refeed. Based off responses here I think I just might end the UD2 and go for maintenance for a month before a 10-15% surplus. I was gravitating more that direction anyhow
Unread 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmacky9288 View Post
I am actually only in the midst of my third week and if progress continues as it has I believe I will hit 154-155 (1-1.5lb loss) by the morning of my next refeed. Based off responses here I think I just might end the UD2 and go for maintenance for a month before a 10-15% surplus. I was gravitating more that direction anyhow
You're presently about 12-13% anyway
Unread 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmacky9288 View Post
Ah ok, I'd say finish off the week, have your refeed and then move tomaintenance. Solid work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
You're presently about 12-13% anyway
My vote would be for 10 - 12% (and more like 10, maybe a touch lower). I doubt he has a caliper measurement that's not in single digits (without seeing the lower body of course).

Realistically, yes probably 12 - 13%. But I base my guesses off of what your typical online guesses may be. For example, I highly doubt a bodybuilder on stage is actually lower than 5 - 6%, but online guesses may throw out 3% or whatever.

Regardless, it's all just guesses obviously. If you like the way you look and feel good, that's all that matters. If either of those is not in place, it's time to change something.
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Fair enough. I was coming from a 'realistic' standpoint. Even online standards though, I think he is not in danger were he to lean out a little more
Unread Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Fair enough. I was coming from a 'realistic' standpoint. Even online standards though, I think he is not in danger were he to lean out a little more
Yup, agreed. I think I'm "realistically" like 20% right now.